C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help with timing chain cover, timing chain and gears.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:06 AM
amf133
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with timing chain cover, timing chain and gears.

I want to replace my timing chain cover with a chrome one on my 1981 corvette. I remover the flywheel pulley, and I am removing the harmonic balancer tonight. While replacing he cover I also want to change my timing chain and gears since they are 29 years old. What’s the best way to replace them? Do you need to set the motor to top dead center while doing this? If so how do you do it? Also do you need to remove the oil pan?
Thank You
amf133
Old 01-11-2010, 01:06 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amf133
I want to replace my timing chain cover with a chrome one on my 1981 corvette. I remover the flywheel pulley, and I am removing the harmonic balancer tonight. While replacing he cover I also want to change my timing chain and gears since they are 29 years old. What’s the best way to replace them? Do you need to set the motor to top dead center while doing this? If so how do you do it? Also do you need to remove the oil pan?
Thank You
amf133
Setting the engine to TDC would be much easier to do since you have to align the timing marks. If you've removed the balancer you can use a crank shaft socket: http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...20socket&dds=1 since you're going to be removing the timing cover you will need to drop the oil pan.

Quick Reply: Please help with timing chain cover, timing chain and gears.