Sponsored by:

Please help with 1981 corvette Harmonic Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 05:45 PM
amf133
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with 1981 corvette Harmonic Balancer

i have a 1981 corvette. I wanted to put a harmonic balancer cover on my harmonic balancer. What size harmonic balancer does the 1981 corvette have, the 8 inch or the 6 3/4 inch? Also do you have to remove the harmonic balancer to put the cover on or does it slip on on top of the harmonic balancer without removing it from the shaft?
Thanks
Amf133
Old 01-19-2010, 09:58 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

You have to remove th harmonic damper to get the cover off or on. If you look at the seal for the damper, it is circular and one piece and is pressed into the cover.

I believe the stock balancer was 8 and 1/4 inch diameter but there is nothing special about that. You can use any damper designed for a 350 internally balance engine.

Once you have the damper off, replace the cover gasket and the damper seal unless it is PERFECT. Also, if the damper is stock, check very closely for separation between the outer and inner ring (that will be obvious once it's off). Again, if there is any signs of separation, replace the damper. Much better than having it come apart while running.

Quick Reply: Please help with 1981 corvette Harmonic Balancer