C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storing Advice: Windows up or down in detached unheated garage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:36 PM
bobbarry
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Storing Advice: Windows up or down in detached unheated garage?

This question occurred to me today, as I went to retrieve something from my '71 Coupe.

I park it in a detached, unheated, non-climate-controlled (barely) one-car garage.

Today it was warm, and due to the torrents of rain, humid.

I keep the car on a battery-tender through the winter, and roll the window down a little to run the battery-tender through the opening.

The cold vehicle developed condensation from the (relatively-warm; ~50ºF) humid air, both on the exterior of the car and on the interior of the t-tops.

I will be using a car-cover (just arrived) once I've got the car cleaned off in the next dry/warm spell, but I'm wondering whether I should store the car with the windows up except for the one I have open a crack to pass-through the battery-tender cable, or whether I should keep both windows rolled-down, so that any humidity that condenses would also dry off asap from the air-circulation.

Turning my garage into a sealed or climate-controlled garage is NOT an option at this point.

I would appreciate any insight or experience anybody has on this kind of situation.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:02 PM
bop
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Do not use a car cover if your garage floor is sweating when the temperture changes from cold to hot quickley the car cover will only trap the moisture under your car every thing thats not painted will have rust on it in six months. When your garage floor was poured they probably did not put a vapor bairer under the floor, I had this same problem about 35 years ago the problem will go away when the ground quits freezing then you can use your car cover then. When my floor got sweaty I would open the door so it would dry out.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:02 AM
bobbarry
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bop
Do not use a car cover if your garage floor is sweating when the temperture changes from cold to hot quickley the car cover will only trap the moisture under your car every thing thats not painted will have rust on it in six months. When your garage floor was poured they probably did not put a vapor bairer under the floor, I had this same problem about 35 years ago the problem will go away when the ground quits freezing then you can use your car cover then. When my floor got sweaty I would open the door so it would dry out.
It's not moisture coming up through the floor of the garage (which was poured in 1938); it seeps in through every nook-n-cranny of the not-airtight garage, and condenses on the cold surfaces.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:45 AM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend you don't seal the interior unless you also put a dehumidifier in there. You can't avoid the fact that the air inside will contain moisture and winding up the windows means the moisture can never escape.

As you probably know, all air carries moisture to a greater or lesser extent. When the temperature of a surface, or the temperature of the air itself, falls below the dew point the moisture will condense and become visible (as dew, rain or condensation). As soon as the temperature starts to rise the moisture will evaporate again. Evaporation is helped by airflow, which is why sealing the interior of the car from draughts will cause damp to remain where it sits until the temperature rises significantly.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:05 AM
rdrunnur
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely leave the windows cracked so moisture does not build up inside the car.

If the purpose of having a car cover on it is for just keeping the dust off, go to Walmart and buy a couple sheets and throw them over the car. The sheets will be soft and loose and will not allow moisture to be trapped. When spring comes around you can just pull them off into the washer and they will be clean real easy.

Be sure to also buy a few bars of Irish Spring soap. Place the soap in a glad bag with some holes in it. Put the soap under the car to keep the critters from using your ride as a winter condo. Some folks put the soap inside the car if you like the smell of it. You can find several threads on this from others on techniques.

Rd
Old 01-26-2010, 07:32 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rdrunnur
Definitely leave the windows cracked so moisture does not build up inside the car.

If the purpose of having a car cover on it is for just keeping the dust off, go to Walmart and buy a couple sheets and throw them over the car. The sheets will be soft and loose and will not allow moisture to be trapped. When spring comes around you can just pull them off into the washer and they will be clean real easy.

Be sure to also buy a few bars of Irish Spring soap. Place the soap in a glad bag with some holes in it. Put the soap under the car to keep the critters from using your ride as a winter condo. Some folks put the soap inside the car if you like the smell of it. You can find several threads on this from others on techniques.

Rd
on the sheets.

New one to me on the Irish Spring. Have to try that instead of the mothballs. Much better smell.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:37 AM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happens to me too. The concrete is cold from the 20 degree weather we've had, add the 50-60 degree air, and you have moisture. It takes a week of 50+ degrees to bring it back up to non moisture temperatures. I've found the best thing to do is keep the garage closed on those mild winter days. It keeps the cold in, but the moisture out.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Saint's Shark
Racer

I have the same problem - in fact I was cursing last night as I went out to my garage. The floor is moist to say the least! Mine was poured in 1950 so there isn't a vapor barrier and the temperature variations produce plenty of condensation. This may sound weird, but I cover the entire floor area that the vette is parked at with cheap kitty litter. This prevents moisture from transferring up to the frame from the floor at the very least. I keep the windows cracked open around 3-4 inches as well. The kitty litter also helps in case you happen to have any leaks over the wintertime. Come spring, I back the car out and clean up with a push broom and I'm good to go!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:18 AM
bobbarry
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Saint's Shark
I have the same problem - in fact I was cursing last night as I went out to my garage. The floor is moist to say the least! Mine was poured in 1950 so there isn't a vapor barrier and the temperature variations produce plenty of condensation. This may sound weird, but I cover the entire floor area that the vette is parked at with cheap kitty litter. This prevents moisture from transferring up to the frame from the floor at the very least. I keep the windows cracked open around 3-4 inches as well. The kitty litter also helps in case you happen to have any leaks over the wintertime. Come spring, I back the car out and clean up with a push broom and I'm good to go!
I like that idea; you're right in my neighborhood, so we face the same problem.

When I went out this morning, the rain had begun to dry outside and the moisture was gone from the outside and inside of the car. The garage is quite drafty, so I don't have to open a window to get ventilation through there. I have plans for a new garage, but those are ten-year plans, so in the meantime, I'll see what I can do to minimize the temperature-changes faced by my car; maybe wrap, insulate and side the exterior, and take the car out for a drive on any days warm enough to condense...

I'll check in on the car-cover which doesn't "cling" to the surfaces, and see if it's breathing enough or trapping moisture. It is the Tri-guard Coverking cover that Southern Car Parts advertised; fits nice but not skin-tight, and seems like it would breathe well.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:29 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I would put something inside the car to absorb the moisture that "does" get in so your gauges,electrical connections and chrome don't suffer.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:38 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

remember that mice can get in a crevice as small as a pencil, they will find a way inside no matter what you do... a couple of mouse traps and irish spring soap are probably pretty good ideas on a detached garage setup..
Old 01-26-2010, 12:50 PM
bobbarry
Burning Brakes

I suppose I could avert a lot of this problem if I could route the charging-cable for the battery-tender out through the battery-box rather than the door. Has anyone done that before? I'm guessing a small grommet would allow me to run the cord out the bottom. There's no pre-existing body-plugs in that area that I could run it through, I'm guessing? I've already checked, an the existing holes for the vent-tubes are too small for the cable to pass through. I suppose I could enlarge one of those holes and run the vent-tube through the same grommet as the charging-cable. Then I could have the Irish Spring and the dessicant sealed up in the car through the winter
Old 01-26-2010, 01:45 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Given the way you are storing your car, you could end up with serious problems regardless of what you do in the garage. I recommend storing the car in a bag ("The Bag") to isolate it from any moisture.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:03 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

wow lots of advice......so heres my two cents.....use the green mouse bait blocks in every corner of the garage and along the walls and under the car , leave the windows open about an inch to an inch and a half, leave your battery tender cord running out like you do now, those gray tri pleat covers breathe very well, i have never found mine to absorp or trap any moisture under it
Old 01-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Lemans Blue 69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have my 69 stored in a attached garage with a trickle of heat coming from vents in the ceiling. We have a room over the garage called a game room. I don't have a moisture problem but to be on the safe side, have a large plastic sheet covered with an old carpet under the car. The plastic acts as a vapor barrier. Hope I'm doing the right thing. Love the idea of Irish Spring. Will place that down as well. Call it preventive maintenance.

John
Old 01-28-2010, 02:47 PM
nw2571
Instructor

I've never used these or know anyone who has, but a lot of people use Griot's products.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1

I've heard that you can also keep the little bags from inside packaged electronics and use them as well. They also recharge in the oven. The only way I know of keeping moisture off of electrical connections in areas that aren't well ventilated (ie the dash).
Old 01-28-2010, 04:47 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

You can get desiccant type units at Home Depot, use them in my boat storage compartments.

Get notified of new replies

To Storing Advice: Windows up or down in detached unheated garage?

Old 01-28-2010, 06:34 PM
bobbarry
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 929nitro
You can get desiccant type units at Home Depot, use them in my boat storage compartments.
That's interesting; what section do they sell those in at HD?
Old 01-28-2010, 07:56 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I think I saw them in the paint department.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
Old 01-28-2010, 08:03 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 929nitro
They work very well. You might want to place them in some type of plastic pan. They get really nasty when they fill up with water. mds...

Quick Reply: Storing Advice: Windows up or down in detached unheated garage?