Sponsored by:

L88 road race replica

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:26 PM
richiev88
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default L88 road race replica

I have just sold my road race camaro, It was a dedicated track car and the cost of racing has just got too expensive for the class i had build it for. I have had a 70 vette in the past and really liked the car.
Thinking of building up a replica of a L88 for some historic racing and limited street use. Has anyone here gone down this road?
The car only has to outwardly resemble the car of the period, engine wise, wheel and tire size has to be correct for period as do brakes and body.
Engine wise was thinking of building a roller motor, 427 with lower comp so to enable use of our 98 oct pump gas.
All experence appreciated
Old 02-02-2010, 05:59 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

There are a member or two on here that do that road race car look...damnit man I cant recall his screenname...he will pop up or do a search for "flares"

Road race look is Hot!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:06 PM
richiev88
Racer

Originally Posted by The13Bats
There are a member or two on here that do that road race car look...damnit man I cant recall his screenname...he will pop up or do a search for "flares"

Road race look is Hot!
Thanks, trying to kill 2 birds with one stone, and still be able to feed the family. One of my mates had a replica L88, was a way fun car on the street, figured it would make a great historic race car ( gentlemans racing)
Old 02-02-2010, 07:00 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Road-Race Vette does awesome work.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...t-is-pics.html
Old 02-02-2010, 07:36 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Road race look is Hot!

That's some funny chit.

It right on the tip of my tongue.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:58 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Theres a few of us that have done it here, in one form or another.
Mines vintage on the outside..pro-touring underneath.

Nick
Old 02-02-2010, 10:20 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Here's a look at Brian "aworks" Owens Corning clone. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...s-corning.html
Old 02-02-2010, 10:34 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by richiev88
I have just sold my road race camaro, It was a dedicated track car and the cost of racing has just got too expensive for the class i had build it for. I have had a 70 vette in the past and really liked the car.
Thinking of building up a replica of a L88 for some historic racing and limited street use. Has anyone here gone down this road?
The car only has to outwardly resemble the car of the period, engine wise, wheel and tire size has to be correct for period as do brakes and body.
Engine wise was thinking of building a roller motor, 427 with lower comp so to enable use of our 98 oct pump gas.
All experence appreciated

Check out the ones we have done here

http://www.2ndgenrestorations.com
Old 02-02-2010, 10:54 PM
richiev88
Racer

Originally Posted by Road-Race Vette

Yes very nice work. one othe the other members mentioned your site and posted a link. Am trying to pick the brains of others that have built a replica l88, I plan to do some historic racing in New Zealand, wondering what internal combos other have in there engines, brake rotors ect, what trans they use.
I understand many of the std GM parts are reliable?
all help appreciated
Old 02-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Buddy1980
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road race replica

I am currently building a 1980 road race replica. I choose the 80 because it was cheap, perfect car, no rust or damage, just normal wear and tear, and I drove it home for $3500. The ac and the cruise control still worked. Anyway, this will not be a L-88 replica, just a road race replica and it has a 383 stroker with approx 450hp, 6-speed richmond with 2.88 1st gear and .64 6th gear, 4.10 rear gears and side exhaust. I have installed larger brakes and VBP front and rear suspension with custom made hollow sway bars with rod end linkage. 17"x9" wheels with 275-40-17 tires front and rear. No fender flares but I plan on a road race type paint scheme that will look like something around the 1980's. My plan was to build this car for $20,000 total because I do all my own work. Right now I am almost on budget. I have to paint and do the interior and I will be finished. Total cost will be about $22,000. Not a exact perfect replica for the time period, but as close as I could get and not spend a lot more $ that I do not have.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:53 PM
richiev88
Racer

Originally Posted by Buddy1980
I am currently building a 1980 road race replica. I choose the 80 because it was cheap, perfect car, no rust or damage, just normal wear and tear, and I drove it home for $3500. The ac and the cruise control still worked. Anyway, this will not be a L-88 replica, just a road race replica and it has a 383 stroker with approx 450hp, 6-speed richmond with 2.88 1st gear and .64 6th gear, 4.10 rear gears and side exhaust. I have installed larger brakes and VBP front and rear suspension with custom made hollow sway bars with rod end linkage. 17"x9" wheels with 275-40-17 tires front and rear. No fender flares but I plan on a road race type paint scheme that will look like something around the 1980's. My plan was to build this car for $20,000 total because I do all my own work. Right now I am almost on budget. I have to paint and do the interior and I will be finished. Total cost will be about $22,000. Not a exact perfect replica for the time period, but as close as I could get and not spend a lot more $ that I do not have.
Sounds like a neat build. I love the chrome bumpers vettes personally, but the later ones are excellent bang for your buck, ture prob better condition. For the racing I want to do, i need to be i the correct year for the replica, in this case 1969-68. Hoping to pick up a sb car in the early teens and convert it to a big block. Hoping to find a M22 trans or modify a super T 10 to hold up.
Would have to run Std calipers which work fine, trying to find out what the road race guys use for rotors and pads? is there a GM option or do i need to go aftermarket hats and rotors. Suspension wise need to stay with coil springs ( up rated) and rear leaf, no coil over allowed. shocks are free so some double adj konis are the plan.
Does anyone have a heads up on the internals on the 427 cars? are people still using GM parts ot have they up graded to after market rotating assy ?
Old 02-03-2010, 12:03 AM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Hey Stan, this sure looks like your '68 that this guy is using in his craigslist ad.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/1582699418.html
Old 02-03-2010, 01:17 AM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by foxymophandlpapa
Hey Stan, this sure looks like your '68 that this guy is using in his craigslist ad.

Here's his ad, you'll notice he was using that picture as a guide for the paint job detail.

70 Corvette 454 4 speed Coupe with AC, Power Windows, Brakes, Steering. This car is a project undergoing rebuild. Frame was bead blasted and painted with an epoxy paint. It has many new parts such as: windshield, shocks, complete front suspension, rear spring, sway bars etc. It was painted professionally four years ago, but has not been wet sanded and buffed to date. I intended on building this car into a Vintage Road Racer replica. I have a K Block 454 with heads, intake manifold, carb, original cast iron exhaust headers, bell housing, transmission with shifter, original rally wheels with trim rings and hub caps, marker lights, seats, interior parts, grills, bumpers, rear end, axles etc. The frame is mounted to a roll cart that goes with the project and the body is attached to the frame. I have two other Corvette projects and I'm too old to complete all of these. One of the photos is of the race car replica that I was using for paint detail work. I will consider delivering this to the Atlanta area for reasonable expenses. My price is firm at $7400 and that is much less than I have invested. Call Jim at 615-347-3388 for many more details or email me at JimT195@aol.com. If you email me please put 70 Corvette For Sale in the Subject Line. YOU CAN CLICK ON EACH SMALL PHOTO TO ENLARGE!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:37 AM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by foxymophandlpapa

That's funny!!!!

Glad someone out there got some inspiration out of something we did
Old 02-03-2010, 12:14 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by DZRick
That's some funny chit.

It right on the tip of my tongue.
Are you the only one who got that???

lvrpool32...many thanks on the wicked cool cap!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:59 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Are you the only one who got that???

:

I got that as well. You mentioned my forum name twice in the sentence that you were trying to remember my name

I think that's what he was talking about. It's all good my friend.

I think the new project you purchased is pretty cool BTW. Good luck with it. I am sure it will be pretty kick - *** when done.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:17 PM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

You can buy mine. I will be up for sale soon. I was going to post it here to see is there was any interest.

Get notified of new replies

To L88 road race replica

Old 02-03-2010, 01:28 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

I got that as well. You mentioned my forum name twice in the sentence that you were trying to remember my name

I think that's what he was talking about. It's all good my friend.

I think the new project you purchased is pretty cool BTW. Good luck with it. I am sure it will be pretty kick - *** when done.
Thanks for the kind words on my 69...I do love that car...

On my reply...I was trying to be silly funny, I knew you would pop by soon and show off your sweet cars....something about race themed cars always gets to people....I know I love 'em
Old 02-03-2010, 03:37 PM
richiev88
Racer

Originally Posted by aworks
You can buy mine. I will be up for sale soon. I was going to post it here to see is there was any interest.

Looks like a nice car, probably out of my price bracket, ideas on $?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Arcticshark
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Panic has a nice road race look car.
Of course, he's in Italy....

Quick Reply: L88 road race replica