Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMOG Guru / NCRS Help

Old 02-13-2010, 11:07 AM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

Default SMOG Guru / NCRS Help

Hey guys, Just want to make sure I didn't give out some wrong info here.........When was the smog pump installed? Was it after the engine was assembled? In other words, if an engine was stamped with an assembly date of May 1st....and the BUILD date of the car was June 1st, could the smog pump still be dated AFTER the engine assembly date but still before the car build date, or does the pump need to pre date the engine assembly? Thanks, john
(Non purist have a heart when flaming me here)
Old 02-13-2010, 12:05 PM
1972corvette454
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Up to 6 Months prior to the date the car was manufactured.
If you car was manufactured May 11, 1972, smog pump date can be Late Dec 71 to May 01 72.
Windshields can be 1 year prior to the build date of the car
Old 02-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Red Vert 02
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Your AIR pump was installed on the assembly line at St. Louis. Mounting intructions are in the AIM, so this confirms it did not come on the engine from Flint or Tonowanda. It is possible the pump could be dated after the engine assembly date but before the body build date. You could also ask this question on the NCRS Tech board as a guest. If not an NCRS member, consider joining. Lots of info there and a great magazine with tech articles 4 times a year. Contrary to popular belief many of us do drive our cars. My NCRS Top Flight/ Bloomington Gold 69 is driven on nice weekends and to all shows. If I could get enough money together for a tow vehicle and trailer I'd spend it on another corvette.

Larry
Old 02-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Answers above are correct. Pump was installed at the St Louis plant, not at the engine plant.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 436 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward

Answers above are correct. Pump was installed at the St Louis plant, not at the engine plant.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:47 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

thanks, so just to confirm, the pump date can be after the engine build date right??
Old 02-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Originally Posted by avalonjohn
(Non purist have a heart when flaming me here)
Old 02-13-2010, 04:15 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bullshark
C'mon Bullshark........does it take a smog question to pull you ouy here???? Where have you been?
Old 02-13-2010, 04:22 PM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Vert 02
Your AIR pump was installed on the assembly line at St. Louis. Mounting intructions are in the AIM, so this confirms it did not come on the engine from Flint or Tonowanda. It is possible the pump could be dated after the engine assembly date but before the body build date. You could also ask this question on the NCRS Tech board as a guest. If not an NCRS member, consider joining. Lots of info there and a great magazine with tech articles 4 times a year. Contrary to popular belief many of us do drive our cars. My NCRS Top Flight/ Bloomington Gold 69 is driven on nice weekends and to all shows. If I could get enough money together for a tow vehicle and trailer I'd spend it on another corvette.

Larry
WOW Larry, I don't recall seeing any accusations in the post about NCRS guys not driving their cars, seems you are a little too sensitive about this for some reason! I dislike the NCRS and it's purpose for a whole 'nother reason, hope this won't keep you up at night worrying if you fit the profile...........................
Old 02-15-2010, 10:47 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Contrary to popular belief, many here do not appreciate turning every single freaking mention of the letters N+C+R+S into some kind of a debate. sheesh!!

A point of interest - I saw a very nice smallblock 69 at a NCRS regional, but was surprised to note it lacked the smog pump. I was even more surprised when I saw the same car at a show a few weeks later proudly displaying its top flight award. Everything else was so good it still made Top Flight even after suffering the point deduction for missing AIR pump.

Last edited by PRNDL; 02-15-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by PRNDL
A point of interest - I saw a very nice smallblock 69 at a NCRS regional, but was surprised to note it lacked the smog pump. I was even more surprised when I saw the same car at a show a few weeks later proudly displaying its top flight award. Everything else was so good it still made Top Flight even after suffering the point deduction for missing AIR pump.

Those that bash the NCRS the loudest and most frequently are usually the ones that know the least about the organisation- and don't want to know. Sounds like you've got an open mind and that's good. A missing smog system is not a big deduct in judging.

I'll give you another factoid. It's also possible to Top Flight a car with non original paint type and a non original motor.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by avalonjohn
...so just to confirm, the pump date can be after the engine build date right??...
Yes. As long as it predates the time/build of the car.

Get notified of new replies

To SMOG Guru / NCRS Help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SMOG Guru / NCRS Help