Sponsored by:

1982?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:31 PM
trev4172
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982?

Sorry, if this is a dumb question, but i am new to this and am looking to buy a 1980-1982, but a lot of things i've read in various places seem to warn me off the 1982's as the cross fire injection is not reliable. Any thoughts on this and are there any pro's to the 82's? Any pros or cons on the 1980 or 81 models?
Old 07-08-2010, 05:38 PM
MCMLXXX
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

I will try to help you out with any question you have with a 80, as I have one.
as for the cross fire, I think a lot of people gave that engine a raw deal, most folks here that have one have not had that many issue's with them.

The 81 was the first corvette with a on board computer.

I guess that's why I went with the 80, kind of old school, carb and no computer.

Mike.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:36 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

we see this about the 1982 vette every couple of weeks .it is a throttle body .gm made throttle bodys for a long time because they were verry good .they got good gas mpg and were dependble .they were not the best for hot roding.the 82 was the best of every thing up to 1982 .http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/index.php?act=idxthey can help if you have a problem.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:55 PM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I have an 81 and I love it. very easy to remove the computer and hot rod old school.
as for the 82 you have many advantages. If you plan on staying with the cross fire or want to do change to fuel injection as in the Multi port fuel injection, the fuel lines are already there and the fuel pump is already in the gas tank. Also the 82 was the first year of the 700R trans with overdrive.
It all depends what you want to do keep as is, go old school carb and no computer or fuel injection with computer etc.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:30 AM
tailskid
Advanced

My 82 runs perfectly. Change the fuel filter regularly and it will pay big dividends in the long run.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:43 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by MCMLXXX
as for the cross fire, I think a lot of people gave that engine a raw deal, most folks here that have one have not had that many issue's with them.Mike.
There was nothing wrong with the Cross-Fire design. Corvettes used it in 82 & 84 (remember there was no 83) and Z28s & Trans-Ams used it in 82 & 83. The Tuned Port injection system replaced it because it produced more power, while being more efficient. The 80's were a time of ever changing automotive technologies, in an effort to stay ahead of the constantly strickter emission and fuel mileage regulations.

I think the biggest issue with Cross-Fire was unfamiliarity, then and now. The disadvantage to them, is/was finding someone who new enough about them to service it properly. The availablity of parts in the future could be a concern, but you have that with any old car.

I've known a number of people who owned them, either when new or in recent years, who were very happy with the Cross-Fire.

Chevrolet sold over 25,000 Cross-Fire Corvettes in 82, and another 51,000+ in 84. A lot of them are still on the road, so how bad could they be?
Old 07-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: A bit of Corvette trivia. The L-82 engine available on the 1980 models was the last optional engine offered in a Corvette until the ZR-1 was introduced in 1990.

Important? Not really, but I smile a little when I say I have one.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:00 PM
theother_bob
Advanced

Originally Posted by terry82
...they got good gas mpg and were dependble .they were not the best for hot roding.the 82 was the best of every thing up to 1982 .

I'd rather have computerized fuel injection than a carb any day.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:05 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by trev4172
Sorry, if this is a dumb question, but i am new to this and am looking to buy a 1980-1982, but a lot of things i've read in various places seem to warn me off the 1982's as the cross fire injection is not reliable. Any thoughts on this and are there any pro's to the 82's? Any pros or cons on the 1980 or 81 models?
I bought my 81 while looking for an 80. I converted it completely to a non computer model. I must be different or old or whatever, but I bought the C3 to relive my youth, not to fool around with computers and fuel injection. So, for ME an 82 would not work and the fuel injection would be not a good thing. I love the late model C3's and think they look the best of all C3's period including bumper cars. They are more refined inside as well and starting 81 most are practically power everything, including drivers seat. I like to tinker and know how to on a carbed car, and love too, however, I can work on FI cars only when I have to. They are an old school car and thats what I wanted, the 82 was the transition car(so was the 81 in a small way) to the next generation and a new way of doing things, not good for what I think the C3 represents. But get what makes you drool!!
Old 07-09-2010, 10:11 PM
texaswilkins
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 82 has almost 300,000 miles on it. It still spins tires and will easily run over 100mph. If I want to be in front I can. It starts easily and idles well. I've been told they get good gas mileage but I haven't driven mine nicely enough to find out.

Bill

Old 07-09-2010, 10:47 PM
fadingrockstar
Racer

I have an 82 with 96k miles on it and it runs great! Don't be afraid of the cross-fire!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:23 AM
theother_bob
Advanced

Originally Posted by 81pilot
...I must be different or old or whatever, but I bought the C3 to relive my youth, not to fool around with computers and fuel injection.
What's to fool around with? the whole point is that it WORKS without fooling around! Maybe your youth was spent fine-tuning carbs? If you must fool around with it, or if you want a real hi performance car, then I agree, an 82 is not for you.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:38 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theother_bob
What's to fool around with? the whole point is that it WORKS without fooling around! Maybe your youth was spent fine-tuning carbs? If you must fool around with it, or if you want a real hi performance car, then I agree, an 82 is not for you.
What's to fool around with? o2 sensors going bad ... reading fault codes when sensors go bad.... dealing with polution equipment...having the ccc control almost every aspect of your timing,mixtures etc and when its all working fine then great , happy days but when it goes wrong which it does as i have read many a thread on here with guys scratching their head at computer problems then it can be a real hassle.

i'm like 81pilot and couldnt wait to pull out the 35000 miles of wiring that came with ccc and the computer controlled dizzy and carb/crossfire and have my dog chew on it. now if something were to ever go wrong its more then likely going to be something i can see and fix easily.

thats old school and what i like but its just a personal taste

Last edited by gingerbreadman1977; 07-10-2010 at 02:42 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:06 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1977
What's to fool around with? o2 sensors going bad ... reading fault codes when sensors go bad.... dealing with polution equipment...having the ccc control almost every aspect of your timing,mixtures etc and when its all working fine then great , happy days but when it goes wrong which it does as i have read many a thread on here with guys scratching their head at computer problems then it can be a real hassle.

i'm like 81pilot and couldnt wait to pull out the 35000 miles of wiring that came with ccc and the computer controlled dizzy and carb/crossfire and have my dog chew on it. now if something were to ever go wrong its more then likely going to be something i can see and fix easily.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:13 PM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1977

well said gingerbreadman. I am seriously considering removing the CCC on my 81.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:45 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The CCC and the Crossfire are COMPLETELY different. Yes, the computer carbs are no fun, but electronic fuel injection is simple and reliable. There is not a million wires and hoses. Don't confuse the 2 because they are apples and oranges different.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:13 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markdtn
The CCC and the Crossfire are COMPLETELY different. Yes, the computer carbs are no fun, but electronic fuel injection is simple and reliable. There is not a million wires and hoses. Don't confuse the 2 because they are apples and oranges different.
maybe re-read the thread starters original question. he says he is interested in an 80-82 and asks what are the pros and cons of not just the crossfire of the 82 but aspects of the other models as well.

to me the ccc on the 81 is definatly something i would want to know about . you might not think its alot of wires but you see that harness of crap on my floor in this pic. thats half of the ccc wiring so wether thats alot of wiring or not is debatable.

Last edited by gingerbreadman1977; 07-11-2010 at 04:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1982?

Old 07-11-2010, 08:39 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Get an 80' 4 speed, drop in a 383 with a nice intake, carb, dual exhaust, and your good to go!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:36 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Originally Posted by markdtn
Whatcha smokin? The crossfire has at least as many wires, a computer and even a few more sensors. I never had an issue with the carb on my 81 it was the whole shebang. I would never argue with anyone about reliability, I am sure they are fine. Yes they are different, but the crossfire built upon and added to the computer controlled 81. It is every bit as complicated, to some that is AOK, to others a detriment, we are just showin the other side of the fence.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:51 AM
theother_bob
Advanced

CCC (computerized command control) is just the name of the computer system in 81 and 82. It's probably (I've never studied the 81) the same basic computer but totally different programming (eprom chip) due to different intake mechanisms (carb? vs injection). It's not like they developed the ccc and then added cfi to the mix. The computer was designed as part of the next generation of fuel injected motors that emissions regulations would demand. What exactly does the computer control on the 81 anyway?

Having a computer reading sensors on the engine is a good thing, despite the extra wiring involved. A competent diagnostician with the right tool can greatly reduce troubleshooting time (which is why OBD2 is standard on ALL cars sold in the US since ~96.) The problem is you have code-chasing bubbas who think (for example) that an O2 rich code means they need a new cat. converter and O2 sensor, and the games begin...

So back on topic, if you don't want a computer, don't get an 82. If you see, like GM and every other manufacturer, that computerized fuel injection is more reliable and efficient, then by all means give an 82 a shot. It's a great road-trip car! Mom and I averaged over 25mpg (and a bit over 65mph average) driving from El Paso to southern California and back. I remember because I did the math myself every time we filled up. ahh good times!

Quick Reply: 1982?