Sponsored by:

1979 Corvette, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Donalds5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 Corvette, is it worth it?

Hey i was wondering, as i am not a pro, how much would this roughly cost to fix, and is it worth the purchase? i currently own a 1998 White Chevrolet Camaro with literally just under 100,000 miles, but i really want a corvette, and i can do the work/spend money on it, that isnt a problem, its just, is it worth it though for that price? i could probably negotiate down a little too on top of it

(its a craigslist ad)

"1979 Corvette - $4000
1979 Corvette with custom Duntov body kit. Looks like a Batmobile. Black with red interior. This car has 38,xxx miles.
Car has L-82 350 with auto trans and power everything. T-Tops
Car needs brakes but still runs strong. Recently bought a new battery

Have had this car nearly 10 years. Several years ago I had the car redone with the body kit reapplied more professionally.
Have driven this very little. 2 years ago my son backed his truck into the rear end of the Vette and crack the rear panels and side.
Therefore the car needs someone who can do or is willing to do the repairs to bring it back to full beauty. I estimate about 1 or 2 thousand to repair it and the car will be worth more the 6 or 7 thousand dollars when done."

Old 07-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Leung
Burning Brakes

No, run.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Donalds5
Instructor

Why do you say that?

(also it appears to have the GTO greenwood hood from what i can tell)
Old 07-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You really not giving enough info on the car to answer your question, from the pic's I certainly would not give more then the 4K. I'm thinking around 3 to 3.5k. Hard to say without more information. My concerns are the head light assys. and the damage to the rear. IMO the custom hood takes away from the value of the car, but thats just me. 4k for the car plus 2 or 3k more for the body work and another grand maybe for the brakes, you are at 8K, which if nothing else is wrong, might be a good deal.
Good Luck Tim
Old 07-14-2010, 11:48 PM
Donalds5
Instructor

thanks tim, anything in particular i should find out about it mainly?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, let start with does the car run? How many miles on the drive train? Does the car leak any fluids? Try to fine out how the car was cared for and more importantly, how it was driven? I'd be a little concerned that because of the Mods installed on the car, that it might have been abused. Try to get a idea on how much it will cost to get that rear-end repaired and painted. Heck, what kind of shape is the rest of the paint in. The brakes are easy, if you can turn a wrench you can save a lot on doing the brakes yourself. Good luck on your choice and remember you can't ask enough questions......Tim
Old 07-15-2010, 07:20 AM
BassCat
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what you're gonna end up spending on that, you could find a stock '79 Vette in great shape. Unless you specifically want that "Batmobile" style. Replacing/repairing those rear/side panels ain't gonna be cheap, then there's painting that will need to be done. You're gonna end up with a good chunk of change in the car. If you're looking for a work project, then yea, it's probably worth 3-4K, but you can find a nice looking clean stock '79 that's ready to drive for 7-10K, and I can guarantee you're going to end up with that much in that car. Good luck.
KC
Old 07-15-2010, 10:21 AM
bobbarry
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Donalds5
Why do you say that?

(also it appears to have the GTO greenwood hood from what i can tell)
If you REALLY want to spend the next year or so learning to repair fiberglass and spend time getting itchy fibers embedded in your skin, and spend at least another $10,000 to get this car into presentable condition, then this would be a perfect project for you. That is in fact some people's definition of an enjoyable hobby.

If you want something to drive and enjoy, then spend $8,000 and get a near-perfect one you can drive right away.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:42 AM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

If I were you i would find another car that you can enjoy and not have to deal with all of the glass work required. just my .02
Old 07-15-2010, 11:09 AM
79L48
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I must agree with the posters above. This car will never be completed on 1K-2K. The ad doesn't include enough information and looks as though it has been abused.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Simple question: do you want this Corvette and the changes which have been made to it?

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 Corvette, is it worth it?

Quick Reply: 1979 Corvette, is it worth it?