Sponsored by:

cam suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:53 AM
76greybeard
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam suggestions

I have a stock L48 in a 76. I want to beef up the motor this winter and am wondering what cam some of you are running. I have a LT1 cam on the shelf but have been told the duration will be a problem with my low compression. This is a driver, I would be fine with a pretty serious lope at idle but am looking for something for around 375 HP. Any suggestion. Thanks in advance for your help
Old 08-05-2010, 07:37 AM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

What else are you planning to do to the motor? You will need heads, compression, exhaust and intake improvements and a cam to get close to 375 hp.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:38 AM
phildawg19
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
What else are you planning to do to the motor? You will need heads, compression, exhaust and intake improvements and a cam to get close to 375 hp.
it takes a lot more than just replacing the cam. and when you get delt into all of this its best to start from the back. gears and such and then start headin towards the front of the car. im looking at getting some new heads right now as a matter of fact. good luck!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

If your Vette is a 4speed manual trans car, you want a Comp Cams "Thumper" series of cam for your lopey idle sound but, if you have an auto trans I wouldn't go this route.

Here is the link, call Comp Cams: http://www.compcams.com/thumpr/default.asp
Old 08-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by phildawg19
it takes a lot more than just replacing the cam. and when you get delt into all of this its best to start from the back. gears and such and then start headin towards the front of the car. im looking at getting some new heads right now as a matter of fact. good luck!
Same here a cam alone won`t get you near 375 hp. If you want that build you a good streetable 383. A lot of folks just stuff a big cam in an engine and then don`t understand why the car actually runs slower
Old 08-06-2010, 06:58 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

All good advice here. Personally, for my '80 I am pulling my stock damaged L-48 and replacing it with a motor built for better all-around performance. Four bolt mains, steel crank, "pink" rods, flat-top hypereuteric pistons good for around 9.7 to 1 compression with late-model 2.02 heads, 350\350hp hydraulic cam, stock aluminum intake with Rochester carb and 2.5" cast iron manifolds ahead of true dual exhaust. It will look stock and give a good bump in performance. I already have 3.55 gears and a beefed-up automatic trans so this should be a fun package. Then I can rebuild my original engine at my leisure. I looked at building a 383 but feel that a 350 is more cost effective for me. Special pistons, crank grinding, block clearancing, new external balancers, etc really runs up the price in my part of the country. Good luck either way!

Get notified of new replies

To cam suggestions

Quick Reply: cam suggestions