Sponsored by:

Need Dash Wiring Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:11 AM
DJordan442
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Dash Wiring Pics

I'm deep into putting the new wiring harnesses in and need some pics of a 69 showing the wiring harness routing before the lower dash pieces are installed. I just want to make sure that I have the routings correct before putting the dash together. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 08-23-2010, 12:32 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DJordan442
I'm deep into putting the new wiring harnesses in and need some pics of a 69 showing the wiring harness routing before the lower dash pieces are installed. I just want to make sure that I have the routings correct before putting the dash together. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
Do you have an AIM for 69? That would show you.
I've seen a few diagrams to 70 on this board. The EARLY 70 may be the same as your 69. The routing of the harness changed in later 70 to go over the speedo and tach. Early 70 went behind.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:37 PM
DJordan442
Pro

The AIM only shows one pic and its with respect to the left dash piece so isn't very helpful in my opinion. My car is an early 69 so a pic of a 68 or even early 70 should be fine. thanks
Old 08-23-2010, 12:49 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

The AIM only shows one pic and its with respect to the left dash piece so isn't very helpful in my opinion. My car is an early 69 so a pic of a 68 or even early 70 should be fine. thanks
What area in particular are you wondering about? I'm taking my 70 apart right now. Some of the wiring is exposed. It may be tough to get a photo behind the drivers side instrument panel, it's a tight fit.
I may be able to post some photos depending on what you're looking for and how far along I am with disassembly.

If anyone has a 69 which is going in the other direction, restored, being reassembled, the photos may be more useful?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:16 PM
DJordan442
Pro

Actually the area that I'm looking for help with is directly behind the instrument panel that houses the speedo/tach. If you could snap a pic of that area that would help. thanks
Old 08-23-2010, 02:14 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

The white wire is holding the harness real close to where it actually goes. In later years they added some wire and the harness could lay on top of the speedo and tach. Hope this helps.
edit- I checked your profile and you have a vert,note the position of the speedo cable sitting on TOP of the brace, it must be there or your speedo will be pulled down in the back and eventually deform or break the dash cluster.

Last edited by ...Roger...; 08-23-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:25 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Actually the area that I'm looking for help with is directly behind the instrument panel that houses the speedo/tach. If you could snap a pic of that area that would help. thanks
My instrument panel is still installed but the dash pad has been removed. I'll see what kind of pictures I may be able to get this way. It may give you a bit more to work with in addition to the photos posted already. Glad to help if I can. Won't be until later this evening.

BTW: Mine is a coupe...

If your windshield was out that would be sweet.
Funny you should mention this. The reason I am taking the dash out is in preparation for some work on the windshield frame. I am sending it to a shop. Can't take the glass out just yet.

Last edited by BBCorv70; 08-23-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:33 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
My instrument panel is still installed but the dash pad has been removed.
That will be a good view , I hope you can get the picture.
If your windshield was out that would be sweet.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Roger,
GOOD picture!
Do you happen to have ANY pictures that might show the jute pad on the tunnel floor forward of the shifter console?
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-23-2010, 04:32 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Roger,
GOOD picture!
Do you happen to have ANY pictures that might show the jute pad on the tunnel floor forward of the shifter console?
Regards,
Alan
Sorry Alan I do not.
I have a 71 coming in the end of this week with a mysterious oil leak , if its the line at the back of the gauge I'll get some pics for you.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Roger,
Thanks !
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-23-2010, 08:05 PM
DJordan442
Pro

[QUOTE=BBCorv70;1575098642]My instrument panel is still installed but the dash pad has been removed. I'll see what kind of pictures I may be able to get this way. It may give you a bit more to work with in addition to the photos posted already. Glad to help if I can. Won't be until later this evening.

BTW: Mine is a coupe...

Thanks - any pics would be helpful.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:09 PM
DJordan442
Pro

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
The white wire is holding the harness real close to where it actually goes. In later years they added some wire and the harness could lay on top of the speedo and tach. Hope this helps.
edit- I checked your profile and you have a vert,note the position of the speedo cable sitting on TOP of the brace, it must be there or your speedo will be pulled down in the back and eventually deform or break the dash cluster.

Thanks Roger - thats a great picture. I'm surprised that the designers didnt put some sort of hanger up under the dash to hold the heavy wire cluster. I will make sure to mount the speedo and tach cables above the brackets for extra support. Also, the speedo/tach instrument cluster has 2 hangers (one each side) toward the bottom but they dont look big enough to hold the large wire harness. Do you leave the white wire in place to give some added support for the big harness? Dan
Old 08-23-2010, 08:18 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Hi Dan,

I tried to get some photos of the backside of my instrument panel while it's installed. I couldn't find a way to get a good shot. The back of the speedo and tachometer are located underneath the lower windshield frame. Best I can do is provide a shot looking between the speedo and tach, showing where my main harness is located at this time. I dropped the column down and tilted the unit as much as I could without disconnecting parts.

I found some pages from an early 70 AIM on this forum which show a bit more.

All seem to show a routing more or less like mine. Question I have is whether there's enough slack in the harness to loop it up in the middle as shown in Roger's photos. Mine goes straight across. I'm going to be taking the panel out soon. I may see if I have enough slack to loop it.
Seem to recall it's a real tight fit back there, not much room for error. Probably why GM lengthened the harness in later 1970. July 2, 1970 according to the revision note on my AIM.

Hopefully between all photos you'll be able to sort out how it goes...
Old 08-23-2010, 11:00 PM
DJordan442
Pro

thanks thats helpful. I'm going to take a break this week and work on it again this weekend.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:18 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Dan, I didn't leave the white wire.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I'm surprised that the designers didnt put some sort of hanger up under the dash to hold the heavy wire cluster....
Check the AIM; some years have hangers, others do not. It appears to hinge upon whether the harness nests along the bottom of the speedo/tach or over the top. Part #6 in BBCorv70s AIM page post.

You may also find a hanger up there for the fiber optics bundle.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 08-24-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Check the AIM; some years have hangers, others do not. It appears to hinge upon whether the harness nests along the bottom of the speedo/tach or over the top. Part #6 in BBCorv70s AIM page post.

You may also find a hanger up there for the fiber optics bundle.

I have my fiber optics bundle going over the top of the speedo and tach.

The wiring on earlier C3s, appears to be prior to 7 -2 -70, isn't long enough to reach over the tach and speedo. Mine is an early 70, March 3, 1970, short harness. The copies of the AIM I posted here are from another posting. They're early 70. My copy of the AIM has a revision dated 7-2-70 which shows the harness going over, a note in the revision box about the harness being redrawn.

I have my main bundle held by the loops on the back of speedo and tach. Doesn't really need the support since they cross the brace with the rubber sleeve. Couldn't get a picture, no room in there.

There isn't much room for error in there. It's a tight fit. Probably why GM changed the design. Hope you don't have big hands like I do... My hands look like I tangled with a cat after working behind the dash.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:11 PM
dmrodco
Drifting

nice pix .....great info thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Need Dash Wiring Pics

Quick Reply: Need Dash Wiring Pics