Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wall ART....Vette Rear Bumper....????

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Default Wall ART....Vette Rear Bumper....????

HI Gang.

I have a 78 rear bumper cover collecting dust.
Has anybody ever made wall art out of one?
4 lights on a toggle switch, with tail light still in?
Christmas tree lights or something similar?...somthign that shouldn't get to hot.

Looking for ideas on how to mount the bumper to a frame of some kind to hang it.....wood?....sheetmetal?........any ideas?????

I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with this idea (patent pending), so show some pics of the process you've gone through......during and after....trial and error stories......

Might put mine in the babies room.....wife should love that...... Never to early to corrupt thier minds!.

dodosmike
Old 09-28-2010, 12:14 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm doing the same thing with extra parts from my 70. Tail lamp panel, edge of the rear deck, etc. Figured on some wood in the back and tail light lenses. Probably won't install any working lights. Then I can hang it anywhere & won't have any wires showing.

Jim
Old 09-28-2010, 12:57 PM
tobyte1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a '73 tail light panel hanging in my shop. I wired the lights to my traffic light and walk/don't walk sign. Tail lights stay on. Brake lights come on when the traffic light goes red....
Old 09-28-2010, 02:45 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm thinking make a frame out of a sheet of 1/4 ply from home depot. Tape it to the vette to trace the body contours, then cut it with a jig saw 1/8, 1/4 what ever, to fit inside the bumper and use the existing mount holes on the bumper to join them. Make a few key hole style holes in the wood for the screws mounted on the wall to go into. The lighting I'll leave up to you.
Glenn
Old 09-28-2010, 03:01 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

A little off topic, but along the line of useing old Corvette parts for cool stuff...

I'm going to put C5 or C6 seats in my '74 and I'll have my original seats re-done and turn them into garage stools... I'll buy some stools....remove the seats....and attach the Vette seats (not changing them too much...in case I ever wanna use them someday) to the stool bottoms !

Be a way-cool set of chairs/stools for the man-cave !

Old 10-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJlr
A little off topic, but along the line of useing old Corvette parts for cool stuff...

I'm going to put C5 or C6 seats in my '74 and I'll have my original seats re-done and turn them into garage stools... I'll buy some stools....remove the seats....and attach the Vette seats (not changing them too much...in case I ever wanna use them someday) to the stool bottoms !

Be a way-cool set of chairs/stools for the man-cave !

Now there is an idea....i have some c3 seats sittin around....mind if I copy?...............

dodosmike
Old 10-02-2010, 06:58 AM
twlinks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LED's would be the way I would go for the lights. Lots of options there...they'll last forever and you wont' have to worry about any heat build up. A picture when you're done would be great. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:10 AM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have a 57 chevy speedometer that I got from a junk yard a long time ago. I made a stand for it and put colored bulbs in place of the ones in its back. I have it in my office. Everybody ask's when they see it where I got it. Anything can be done just use some imagination.

Get notified of new replies

To Wall ART....Vette Rear Bumper....????

Quick Reply: Wall ART....Vette Rear Bumper....????