Seatbelts in a 72

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 02:37 AM
ST Graveyard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seatbelts in a 72

Hello all,

I'm starting to restore the complete interior of my 1972. Last year me and my dad did a complete interior resto on his 76 ( http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...c3-1976-a.html ). I'm now looking at replacing my seatbelts. My 1972 had unoriginal lap belts installed. I would like to replace these with decent seatbelts. In the 76 of my dad, there were body panels next to the driver and passenger, which contained points for the shoulderbelts and a part which covers the roling mechanism nicely ... These are the parts I'm talking about :

I've seen in my car, that the connection points are there in the body or chassis, but the body panels are not correct for a complete shoulderbelt set like in the 76. I mean, the body panels do not have the upper connection point and the cover for the mechanism.

In my manuals, I've also seen that a 72 has the seatbelt coming out of the actual backside of the chair. But my chairs do not have an opening for the belt.

Now my question is, what kind of belts were originally available for a 72? I can easily by new lap belts at ecklers and install them, but I would like to have a complete shoulder belt for safety. Should I just by two new body panels like in the 76? Are these available for a 72. I like to keep the car as original as possible (like always), but safety still comes first for me.

Thank you in advance.
Maarten

Last edited by ST Graveyard; 10-08-2010 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

The lap belts are different for 72, they mount on ledge in rear wheel well. If You look above rear tirein wheel well You should see a metal plate, that is the support bracket for the shoulder belt. I think in a coupe there is a plastic cover that goes over the shoulder belt? Also the trim piece on the headrest area of Your seat has to have a slot in it for belt to go through seat. I think there is different types of connections between lap belt and shoulder harness also? Im sure if You convert to shoulder belts there will be other little things needed like grommets, etc... I dont know if there is a difference in rear quarter trim as there is in the convertible?
Old 10-08-2010, 12:30 PM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi St Graveyard,
Like timsride said there will be a lot of change when installing the new belts. According to the ncrs manual the 72 coupe with lap belts and shoulder belts were standard on the coupe and shoulder straps optional on the verts, also the lap belts unwinds from the retractors under the seats. I've seen where people have cut the square holes in the body panels to keep from having to buy new panels cause there not cheap.
I'm surprized the panels dont have the seatbelt holes in them for the shoulder straps. Hummm.
Now lets say you get new set of belts. Your going to have to buy the bezels and hardware for the seats to run the shoulder belt thru the seat back. also you'll have to install the inner guide on the seat back frame for the shoulder belt. This is what happend to me was the seat back for the shoulder belt was not there and I had to get a different seat back frame that has the slot for the inner guide to screw into and run the seat belt thru which means taking apart the complete seat backrest to get to the inner frame to install the guide. This frame guide screws on to the frame back and guides the belt thru the bezel for the front and the little square plate that screws into the back of the seat.
The seat materail may already be cut on the seat for the seatbelt to run thru. if there is no sign of the seat back top having any hardware on it then maybe it's all been replaced for some reason from a PO.
When I was finished replacing everything that required my shoulder straps the look and function correctly in my vert I was several hunderd dollars over and above the cost of the new set of seat/shoulder cost and a bunch of time involved getting the belts installed.
Check you AIM or look at the diaghrams in some of the catologs at the parts for the seats and you'll see what I mean about the hardware for the seats.
Hope this helps you some. I think I have some pic when I did mine if you need.
GG
Old 10-08-2010, 01:51 PM
#s matching 72
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Maarten
Are the parts you show in your picture from your Dad's 76? They don't look correct at all for your 72.
John
Old 10-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

As others have said, there's little or no similarity in seat belts between a '72 and '76. Your AIM will show all the little bits and pieces you'll need, plus a fat wallet.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try doing a search on this forum for Camaro seat belts. Many forum members have converted to these belts with excellent results and at a very low cost. You would still need to buy the components to route you shoulder harness through the seat back.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:36 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I got the Camaro/Firebird rear belts for 5 bucks at a UPick yard in "as new" condition.

Simple, straight forward install, work great with no irreversible mods to the car.
Could give you some time to gather the "correct stuff" which you'll find can be rather pricey.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:35 AM
ST Graveyard
Instructor

Ok, thanks for the info.

On the pic you see the panels of my dad's 76. I'm gonna try and do a conversion similar to the one we did in that car. Stock looks, but a better new system. I think it is similar to the camaro conversion.

thanks for the help.

Maarten
Old 10-09-2010, 07:41 PM
wills670
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are going to try and mount belts like in the 76 I think you will run into problems with the nut that the top of the seat belt bolts to. I do not think it is there on a 72 and you will have to come up with a way to reinforce the area and add the nut.

Get notified of new replies

To Seatbelts in a 72

Quick Reply: Seatbelts in a 72