Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts replacement

Old 10-13-2010, 08:34 AM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Parts replacement

I finally got my new toy home (1972 LT1 T top), anyway I want to start replacing some old parts I know if not replace now they will fail when you don't want them to, but I don't want to be replacing parts that will degrade the value if the original is prepared. which parts can I replace without the worry of degrading the value:

Are this okay to replace?

started

Alt

Water pump

The previous owner replaced the dist with a dual poin dist and kept the original.

Can I convert the inginition with a electronic system without value degrading?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:38 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think LT-1's have electronic ignition already. Someone chime in if I'm incorrect and it was optional and not standard for the LT-1.
If the other parts are date code correct to the car rebuild them, or if you choose to replace them, KEEP the original parts you remove. The more non original parts, the more the value will degrade. The LT-1 is special and you want to keep it as original & correct as possible.
Glenn
Old 10-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GD70
I think LT-1's have electronic ignition already. Someone chime in if I'm incorrect and it was optional and not standard for the LT-1.
If the other parts are date code correct to the car rebuild them, or if you choose to replace them, KEEP the original parts you remove. The more non original parts, the more the value will degrade. The LT-1 is special and you want to keep it as original & correct as possible.
Glenn
Replace everything You listed, rebuild or replace the dual point dist. Keep all original parts and take care of them. One day someone is going to restore this car back to original and they will need those parts.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

The 72 LT1s do not have electronic ignition or the TI ignition tha twas used in previous LT1 cars. The standard point dist can be converted pretty easily to a Pertronix ignition. This is easily converted back t opoints if the need ever comes up. This is a decent system that does away with pints. As for the other components, if you are looking to stay all original I would have the original rebuilt. Those numbers are important at the time of resale if that is important.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:44 AM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

first let me admit publically that this is my first domestic performace car, I've been playing with german cars for some time (35 years). This is a wedding present to my wife. she would like to have the engine bay with polish items chrome. I am thinking of replacing the original parts with modern design and keep the original.

so, any suggestion on what company to get the Carb, alt and the water pump. I ordered a JAGG, Edelbrock and summit cat. Any suggestion which carb, alt and waterpump? I appreciate the help. Please be patient with my basic questions.

Also, is it standard for this car to be in Reverse in order to remove the key after it it shutdown?
Old 10-13-2010, 09:49 AM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, if you are sending in your original parts to be rebuilt, in lieu of buying replacements, take pictures of your parts, document all numbers and codes, and be sure you get your originals back, alot of the rebuild shops may just switch out your parts with other castings, they may have already rebuilt. Tell them you want all your original castings to be used. If that is what you decide to do, or like said above, buy replacements and shelve all your original parts.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Newbie2, my advice would be to purchase several of the Corvette history/pictoral books and read up on LT-1s. As the owner, I would think you would want to know exactly what you have before you start making changes to it.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:03 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

All of the components you listed can be rebuilt for little expense, except for the water pump. You can buy rebuild components for the internals and be done with it. That way you have original cases that have new 'guts'/
Old 10-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by newbie2vette
Also, is it standard for this car to be in Reverse in order to remove the key after it it shutdown?
Yes. It is a shift interlock. It must be in reverse to get the key out.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:05 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

first let me admit publically that this is my first domestic performace car, I've been playing with german cars for some time (35 years). This is a wedding present to my wife. she would like to have the engine bay with polish items chrome. I am thinking of replacing the original parts with modern design and keep the original.

so, any suggestion on what company to get the Carb, alt and the water pump. I ordered a JAGG, Edelbrock and summit cat. Any suggestion which carb, alt and waterpump? I appreciate the help. Please be patient with my basic questions.

A stock 72 LT-1 engine has plenty of bling! This is forum member rvasquez's restored LT-1 engine and is a thing of beauty. Show this to your wife and I think she would be pleased.
Glenn

Old 10-13-2010, 02:16 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Yes, My goal to get replacement parts and store the original parts. since I can remember I've always used Amsoil for the manual trans and diff. Is this a wise move?
Old 10-13-2010, 02:26 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

One thing I noticed from this photo is: the air pump and plumbing on ours is already gone. the exhaust has been replace with headers.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:49 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

One thing I noticed from this photo is: the air pump and plumbing on ours is already gone. the exhaust has been replace with headers.
Even with those differences, it still would look just as good. As far as chrome additions, the things that might look tasteful would be chrome alternator, master cylinder & cover, power brake booster if you have power brakes, chrome water pump and timing chain cover. I think most people who look under the hood of a true LT-1 want to see just that though.
Just my 2c.
Glenn
Old 10-13-2010, 03:09 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

That's one other item I did noticed. it does not have the brake booster, having said that. Using racing brake fluid with this caliper be okay. I have gallons of it from my Bimmer and Porsche days of racing.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:22 PM
z10kl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-13-2010, 04:41 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 509 Likes on 309 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

I finally got my new toy home (1972 LT1 T top), anyway I want to start replacing some old parts I know if not replace now they will fail when you don't want them to, but I don't want to be replacing parts that will degrade the value if the original is prepared. which parts can I replace without the worry of degrading the value:

Are this okay to replace?

started

Alt

Water pump

The previous owner replaced the dist with a dual poin dist and kept the original.

Can I convert the inginition with a electronic system without value degrading?
Don't replace the alternator or starter. Have them rebuilt. If your a member of NCRS, (I am ) you get a bi-monthly "Driveline" magazine and it's loaded with small companies , and some large that will accept your part, take it apart, rebuild it and ship it back to you. Only thing to do is write down the serial number of the part, and send it off with your payment.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi New,
72 LT-!, NICE!!!!!
Along with others, I will CAUTION you to be VERY careful with what you buy as 'replacement' parts. LT-! cars have many unique parts and without realizing it you could seriously lower the value of your car.
Although it sounds like some important original parts are already missing, (AIR equipment and exhaust manifolds), you should decide if you what to stop that trend or continue it.
I'd like to suggest you consider buying the factory AIM (INSTRUCTION ASSEMBLY MANUAL), used in St. Louis to build the cars; the 72 GM CHASSIS SERVICE MANUAL, used at the dealers by the service techs; the 72 owners manual; and the NCRS 70-72 TECHNICAL INFORMATION MANUAL & JUDGING GUIDE, it will help you determine just what you have.
I'd answer your question about the brake fluid by raising the question of compatibility with what's in there now? Would the lines and calipers need to be flushed to use what you have on hand.
I'd love to see some pictures!!!
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Parts replacement

Old 10-13-2010, 10:54 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Since I don't know how to add photos or don't have the access, I created an album with photos of my new project. I will definitely check out all the materials to trace this car. I have a feeling the previous owner did away with a lot of the original parts buy replacing when they failed.

Last edited by newbie2vette; 10-13-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Ben,
I took a look at the pictures and it looks like you've found a good project.
I don't know if you paid an LT-! price for the car or not; but I'll caution you again about what parts you use as replacements.
Good Luck and have FUN!
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-15-2010, 07:47 AM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Alan,

For now I am replacing the started from local parts store, and edelbrock carb (keeping the old one), alt from summit (chrome). I am keeping all the old parts until I have time to research to ensure they are not the original. From what I can tell majority of the parts were replaced, not the original especially the dist.

As far, as what I paid for it. Several people I shared my project with tells me I stole the car and offered me three times the amount I paid.

Any recommendation where I send the eats and have them re-built to include the memory foam?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parts replacement