Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 12:38 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Coming along NICELY!!!

I've had go luck using Crisco Canola oil spray for a good release...I found some in the kitchen!!!
Old 05-25-2015, 04:19 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Richard454
Coming along NICELY!!!

I've had go luck using Crisco Canola oil spray for a good release...I found some in the kitchen!!!
Thanks Richard, I'm taking note for my next casting.
I asked a guy who used to make molds for a living, and he told me that if I wanted a good casting of the hood I should have started with a soft urethane casting of the shape.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:50 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's a preview of what the hood scoop will be courtesy of the magic of hot glue.

And yeah, I make the fin to short *facepalm*
No biggie, nothing fiberglass can't fix.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:18 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Looking Good Denpo
Old 05-31-2015, 10:26 PM
arklacat
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

I have purposely avoided opening this thread for a year or so now because I knew that with so many replies it was gonna be a good one and like any good read I wouldn't want to put it down. I have finally read through the whole thread over the last few days and all I can say is WOW!! Well that's not really all. Den you are amazing. You seem to know how to do EVERYTHING. Your talent is awe inspiring. Nice work.

On another forum i used to frequent people would post an "Ask <username> about being a <fill in the blank.> We need an "Ask Denpo about being Denpo" thread.

1. What is your background and how do/did you come by these resto skills? Is it like this for anything/everything you undertake?
2. You mentioned starting your own business. Did that become a reality?
3. How many hours of sleep do you average a day?
4. How is it that you are working in such a cramped work space? I would figure you to be the cream of the crop in whatever you do and thus have the wherewithal to have and would have a much nicer place.

*subscribed
Old 05-31-2015, 11:52 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
Looking Good Denpo
Thanks mate, I'm surprised myself by the result, and relieved my last mod doesn't turn tacky.

Originally Posted by arklacat
I have purposely avoided opening this thread for a year or so now because I knew that with so many replies it was gonna be a good one and like any good read I wouldn't want to put it down. I have finally read through the whole thread over the last few days and all I can say is WOW!! Well that's not really all. Den you are amazing. You seem to know how to do EVERYTHING. Your talent is awe inspiring. Nice work.
Thanks you sir, and welcome in.

On another forum i used to frequent people would post an "Ask <username> about being a <fill in the blank.> We need an "Ask Denpo about being Denpo" thread.

1. What is your background and how do/did you come by these resto skills? Is it like this for anything/everything you undertake?
I'm a video game programmer, I've been so for the last 20 years.
But when I was a teen I wrenched a lot on moped. In my country that all you could have.
I had two, one always in pieces.
I did all I could on them, motor rebuild, bodywork, paint, airbrush, you name it.
Sooner of later you got to leave parent's house, have your own life and forget about this.
Then you land yourself in North American and discover that those dream machines aren't that expensive after all...
2. You mentioned starting your own business. Did that become a reality?
Went well for a while, then less, and I realized it was not worth the extra sweat. My former employer was more than happy to take me back.
3. How many hours of sleep do you average a day?
Plenty, I have no kids
4. How is it that you are working in such a cramped work space? I would figure you to be the cream of the crop in whatever you do and thus have the wherewithal to have and would have a much nicer place.

*subscribed
"THIS IS MY GARAGE, THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE IS MINE.
MY GARAGE IS MY BEST FRIEND. IT IS MY LIFE. I MUST MASTER IT AS I MASTER MY LIFE.
WITHOUT ME IT IS USELESS, WITHOUT MY GARAGE I AM USELESS."

Seriously, it couldn't be closer, and I can afford it, so I just have to deal with it and be creative.
I appreciate your comment but don't be fooled, I am and will remain an amateur, if professionals were there in the garage while I work they would shake their head out of hopelessness.

Stay tuned, more to come.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:15 AM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Denpo, I absolutely love the hood. I have had a similar hood in mind but did not have the time to build it. I gotta say, though, your design turned out better in real life than mine did even in my head. I really like the shape of the louvers or slates or whatever.
When you extend them are you going to build onto them or start over? I was just wondering if each one could be laid up as one instead of left and right and then notch the middle a bit. Seems like it might be easier, and would look really good with the hood open.
I am sure you will work that out.
Good work, can't wait to see it done.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by brent319
Denpo, I absolutely love the hood. I have had a similar hood in mind but did not have the time to build it. I gotta say, though, your design turned out better in real life than mine did even in my head. I really like the shape of the louvers or slates or whatever.
Thanks Brent.
Time, the great ennemy. I thought I would get it painted by Spring, but when I see the result, I'm happy.
There is nothing worse than having to live with something that keep on telling you : "if only you took one more months to make me right, you lazy ***k".
When you extend them are you going to build onto them or start over? I was just wondering if each one could be laid up as one instead of left and right and then notch the middle a bit. Seems like it might be easier, and would look really good with the hood open.
I am sure you will work that out.
Good work, can't wait to see it done.
I'm gonna build over, I don't want the vents' blades to bridge the gap because this will be the passage for my cold air intake when I put the LS engine. It will become clearer later on.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:53 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Hey Denpo-

It's pretty clear now-you're doing a fantastic job!!!

I have been looking at hood vents as well- the fiberglass is cool- but I'm wanting thinner "blades"- was actually looking at taking apart a whole house attic fan an using it's blades- or rather shutters....

The idea -is to have them w/ the ability to close-just in case you're in the rain or wanna wash the car w/o getting the engine wet.

Something like this-

Here's a hood that caught my eye- as I'll be pulling air from the sides versus the front.

IMG_01051 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr
Old 06-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Denpo-

It's pretty clear now-you're doing a fantastic job!!!
Thanks you Sir Richard *bow*
I have been looking at hood vents as well- the fiberglass is cool- but I'm wanting thinner "blades"- was actually looking at taking apart a whole house attic fan an using it's blades- or rather shutters....
The idea -is to have them w/ the ability to close-just in case you're in the rain or wanna wash the car w/o getting the engine wet.
Yeah, water is a concern. I haven't looked into it yet but I plan to make some sort of drip system under the vent, or (let's get crazy) a big duct that connect the exhaut of the fan to the hood opening.

Something like this-

Here's a hood that caught my eye- as I'll be pulling air from the sides versus the front.

IMG_01051 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr
No dis, but the hood pictured is pretty, how to say... primitive?
It could pass as made out of recycled ventilation parts, the one and only V12 vette deserve better IHMO.
Why not making a shutter system just under the actual static-good-looking blades?
Just my .02.
All your mods so far came out top notch so I'm confident your vents will be awesome.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:36 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Coming along nicely. Your body lift at the beginning is giving me idea of how to lift and store the body in my one car garage while I work on the chassis below it.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:04 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by chazde3
Coming along nicely. Your body lift at the beginning is giving me idea of how to lift and store the body in my one car garage while I work on the chassis below it.
Thank Chazde, glad my struggles serve others.
I don't know it you reach that post, but I eventually recycled the large wooden beam the body sat on into a body dolly, just FYI.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:20 AM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Almost done with the louvers/blades/vents
Need a final sculpting with small files, shouldn't be long before I glass it in.
I'm still wondering if I need to create some perpendicular blades as support. I surely don't want to recreate the egg crate look, support blades would be recessed anyway. We'll see.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:30 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 959 Likes on 596 Posts

Excellent work on your hood, love the look, Looking forward to finished version.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:30 AM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

People throw around adjectives like "amazing" all the time now to where they have lost their meaning.
"These tube socks are literally amazing, dude", or "this toast is breathtaking"
Why do I mention that? Because it leaves me with no way to describe how much I like your hood, or the levels of all the different skills and creativity you have demonstrated throughout this build.
I wish you were not so far away so I could imagine meeting up some day and checking it out when you are (eventually) done.
Nice work as always.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:56 AM
1965markaccount
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

First class! I love following builds like yours, they are inspirational. The purist out there might make a fuss but I am really impressed.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:00 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have great vision, looking great. Some mods look like, well that was modded, others, like they blend in and look great like yours.

Get notified of new replies

To My '76 restoration (long post)

Old 06-14-2015, 01:09 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

That looks really great Denpo! I don't know that i'd worry about the supports. Give it a test before you make up your mind. yeah the egg crate look wouldn't work for me either...
Old 06-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CraigH
Excellent work on your hood, love the look, Looking forward to finished version.
Originally Posted by 1965markaccount
First class! I love following builds like yours, they are inspirational. The purist out there might make a fuss but I am really impressed.
Originally Posted by Smooth72
You have great vision, looking great. Some mods look like, well that was modded, others, like they blend in and look great like yours.
Thanks to YOU GUYS. Without the support over the years I'm not sure I would have carried on to this point.
I'm not gonna lie, I spend a significant amount of time watching my own pictures, the result is really cool so far.
May I not screw it up.

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
That looks really great Denpo! I don't know that i'd worry about the supports. Give it a test before you make up your mind. yeah the egg crate look wouldn't work for me either...
I think I'm gonna do some test in 3D, the grill configuration is also part of the equation, do I put the support above the grill? below?
Lot of combinations actually for something seemingly simple.
I'll post some rendering.

People throw around adjectives like "amazing" all the time now to where they have lost their meaning.
"These tube socks are literally amazing, dude", or "this toast is breathtaking"
Why do I mention that? Because it leaves me with no way to describe how much I like your hood, or the levels of all the different skills and creativity you have demonstrated throughout this build.
I wish you were not so far away so I could imagine meeting up some day and checking it out when you are (eventually) done.
Nice work as always.
What about "wicked"? I'd take it
Seriously, from reading your build thread I knew we were from the same school of modding. I just hope I deliver something as cool as your baby.
(For guys wandering, Brent's awesome build is posted on one of those other Vette forum)
Heck, we live on the same side of the same continent, so no reason we don't meet one of these days my friend. I've met forum member from much further away. There again, no superlative to describe the discussions that would ensue.

The more you guys like the build, the more pressure come to get a good paint job, and alas so far I'm not getting any news so far.
I contacted several paint shops.
So far they all lie in one of these three categories :

1) Shady shops : your English is just as broken as you French, I'm sorry but how could be work together?
2) Insurance only shops : since I worked myself on the car they won't do the job, anyway I probably wouldn't trust then out of their comfort zone.
3) Project paint shop : I call on the phone, email all the info I could, they never call back. Maybe they've smelled I'm not that $10k paint job rich guy.
I usually think things come your way eventually, but this time it'd better be quick.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:43 PM
Sly_North
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Denpo
Thanks you sir, and welcome in.

I'm a video game programmer, I've been so for the last 20 years.
Yep I can confirm than Den is a nerd, the perfect example of your computer guy cliché. Or almost.
(do I have any credibility saying that, Mr viking?).

And I'd like to have 10% of his car tech knowledge

Quick Reply: My '76 restoration (long post)