Sponsored by:

1968 427 390Hp carburetor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Tonytz06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1968 427 390Hp carburetor replacement

What is a good carburetor replacement for the quadrajet that came on a 427 390HP? I don't have the original so I am thinking of a Holley?

Thanks;

Tony
Old 10-21-2010, 07:08 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 431 Likes on 258 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Tonytz06
What is a good carburetor replacement for the quadrajet that came on a 427 390HP? I don't have the original so I am thinking of a Holley?

Thanks;

Tony
Is it an original car ? do you want to keep it original ? I might be able to help you with one if you want to go that way with a "FACTORY" rebuilt one..............whats the date code ?.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally I like Quadrajet's, as once you learn how to tune and maintain them, there's really nothing better. You've got to realize that anything over 40 year's old is going to need some attention to keep it functioning properly. I'm running a well set up Quadrajet on a strongly built Old's big block car, and thottle response is second to none. Edelbrock seem's to agree, as it's the design they're using.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:16 PM
72ls5fla
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Tony,

I'm 99% sure that if you use a Holley QJ replacement - there will be modifications needed to the air cleaner base (by the elbow) to clear the secondary accelerator pump. If you use the vacuum secondary replacement, there will clearance issues with the rear vacuum dashpot.

This will hold true for open or closed air cleaners. The aircleaner elbow sits to low and needs to be raised up about 5/8 -> 3/4 of an inch or so. Since yiur car is BB car, clearance should not be an issue.

The best solution with the least amount of grief is to put a new QJ on the car.

Now I personally like Holley carbs. Once they are setup and tuned right - they kick the crap out a QJ.......
But from a easy replacement standpoint, QJ is the way to go.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks;

Tony
the advice I can submit is to find any parts store that handles 'Tomco rebuilt carbs. They will be one of the best to find a matching carb for you.....You can check them out on line by typing the name in the browser and also ask for the nearest supplier to you....
Old 10-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Tonytz06
Pro

I agree, nothing wrong with a quadrajet. In my case, the original carb was long gone when I got the car. It had a Holley on it when I got it.
With the exception of the carb. the car is original.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:08 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree, nothing wrong with a quadrajet. In my case, the original carb was long gone when I got the car. It had a Holley on it when I got it.
With the exception of the carb. the car is original.
are you interested in a restored factory original carb ? what date do you need ?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Tonytz06
Pro

Ok, thanks again for the feedback.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:04 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 427SIXPACK
are you interested in a restored factory original carb ? what date do you need ?
Don't mean to hijack this thread. I'm having a lot of grief with my QJet.
Originally a QJet rebuilt by Holley, POS. I just had it 'restored', looks nice but still has issues. The rebulder replaced the main body, the one I had was butchered by Holley.. I am getting close to chucking it into the trash can and buying a Holley 4175 if my QJet cannot be fixed. I may consider buying another IF I can trust it will work properly.

Does your source have a carb for a 70 - 454? Needn't be date code correct, just appropriate for the car. If they do, any idea how much?
Old 10-22-2010, 01:00 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
Originally a QJet rebuilt by Holley, POS. I just had it 'restored', looks nice but still has issues. The rebulder replaced the main body, the one I had was butchered by Holley.. I am getting close to chucking it into the trash can and buying a Holley 4175 if my QJet cannot be fixed. I may consider buying another IF I can trust it will work properly.

Does your source have a carb for a 70 - 454? Needn't be date code correct, just appropriate for the car. If they do, any idea how much?
send me a PM of exactly what your looking for ?
Old 10-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCorv70

My local vette shop found me a brand new Q-Jet, still in the plastic tray with yellowed old shrink wrap. The number stamped on the air horn is 17054917 and the date code is 0206, so it is either from 1976 or 1986. There was a different number on the box, which Joe Lucia on the NCRS board told me was more important. I paid $722 for it and $28 freight. It is supposedly a replacement carb for an early 454, not my 427. Probably works on truck engines as well. All I had to do was replace the cup on the accelerator pump. So far I have not messed with jets or metering rods. No rebuilt carb can compare to a new one, so if you are interested I will find out where it was purchased.

I was looking at $1300-$1400 for a restored correct and dated Q-jet. Decided it was more important to have a good running carb for my driver quality car.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:19 PM
TheycallmeDave
Pro

Thanks;

Tony
A DEMON Carb...hands down ---- A Speed Demon if you need a choke or a Mighty Demon if you dont. If you want maximum low end torque like you wont believe...then get ANNULAR boosters on it , not downleg (one published report from a Magazine proved on the dyno that Annular Boosters were good for an additional whopping 90 ft. lbs. of torque . I can attest to it on my 1970 468 cid) . Carb comes close right out of the box for high performance street use. Contact Demon Carb for what size to get for your particular setup. (im assuming you dont care about originality and want max. performance) .

Last edited by TheycallmeDave; 10-22-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:22 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
My local vette shop found me a brand new Q-Jet, still in the plastic tray with yellowed old shrink wrap. The number stamped on the air horn is 17054917 and the date code is 0206, so it is either from 1976 or 1986. There was a different number on the box, which Joe Lucia on the NCRS board told me was more important. I paid $722 for it and $28 freight. It is supposedly a replacement carb for an early 454, not my 427. Probably works on truck engines as well. All I had to do was replace the cup on the accelerator pump. So far I have not messed with jets or metering rods. No rebuilt carb can compare to a new one, so if you are interested I will find out where it was purchased.

I was looking at $1300-$1400 for a restored correct and dated Q-jet. Decided it was more important to have a good running carb for my driver quality car.
Thanks for the offer. I talked to the fellow who restored my carb, said he'll have another look. I'm going to send it back, see if he can make it right before giving up and buying another. I'll get back to you if I find I need to buy another carb.

Get notified of new replies

To 1968 427 390Hp carburetor replacement

Quick Reply: 1968 427 390Hp carburetor replacement