Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Media-blasting Wheels

Old 11-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Go Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Media-blasting Wheels

My wheels need repainting so I would like to get them media-blasted or sandblasted or whatever. What kind of business do I look up that does this? Regular body shops or what?
Old 11-13-2010, 12:19 AM
skaping
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes auto parts machine shops or rebuilders have a glass bead blasting cabinet. You can do an internet search under "metal finishing" and find someone that can do sandblasting. Sandblasting leaves a bit rougher surface so I prefer glass bead.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:32 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Do you have access to a local "yellow book"? You can also Google or Bing "media blasting" in your area.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:26 AM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Steel wheels can be sand blasted and while the finish may have a somewhat rougher finish they will look just fine once painted. Blasting with glass beads is even more gentle on them and will produce a smoother finish. Soda blasting will remove the paint, but not the rust, if there is any. Beware you need to clean them properly after soda blasting or the paint could just 'flake' off. Just type in media blasting, or sand blasting. Most local bodyshops will have the ability to sand blast them. Other places specialize in blasting of all sorts. If you have a diesel shop, or trucking machine shop in your area they will certainly have a blasting cabinet. If you have an air compressor, you might consider buying a Harbor Freight Blasting Cabinet for $179 (on sale). It might not be that much more than having them done ....then you have the blaster for other restoration work.

Good luck,

Mark G
Old 11-13-2010, 04:37 AM
Bocho's 75 Stingray
Cruising

On the topic...

What should be used for the rallys? Paint or should it be powdercoat?
Old 11-13-2010, 05:51 AM
twlinks
Instructor

Find a local powder coating shop, they can/will do that for you. The one I use here charges a flat rate per hour based on what type of media you want them to use.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:35 PM
72ragtop
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i had my wheels blasted at a local head stone/grave stone company. Ask that they use a finer sand. Paid less then 1/2 what i was quoted from paint shops. Came out great. Local painter told me about it. I was like WHAT?
Old 11-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by 72ragtop
i had my wheels blasted at a local head stone/grave stone company. Ask that they use a finer sand. Paid less then 1/2 what i was quoted from paint shops. Came out great. Local painter told me about it. I was like WHAT?
That's a really good idea. My take on Powdercoating is: get a price but if you have the ability to paint them yourself with a spray gun, you can do fine with automotive paint. You don't need the high-end product. Somthing like Nason silver and a clear will work. Here's why, if you want to go original, you can spray them black in the back, then spray silver from the front, replicating the original style of finish and silver overspray on the backside. That may/may not matter to you, but it would be difficult to have a powdercoater follow that protocol. Just a thought.

Mark g
Old 11-13-2010, 01:17 PM
skaping
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I powder coated mine. I tried the overspray look but with the powder it just did not look right so I masked and recoated them. I am not restoring for NCRS anyway.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:56 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

You also have to be careful when you're getting ready to paint/coat the wheels that you get the tiny crack between the centers and outer rims, on the front side, covered with whatever finish you're using. If they were sandblasted really thouroughly, that area is bare, and although it's a real pain to fog paint down in there, they'll rust if you don't....

Get notified of new replies

To Media-blasting Wheels

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Media-blasting Wheels