Sponsored by:

1980-81 Birdcage and Frame question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 03:40 PM
phinfan
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 1980-81 Birdcage and Frame question

I have loved Corvettes for a long time, and am thinking of finally doing something about it, possibly next year, after my wife gets out of school.

I have always loved the look of the 80-82, but would probably prefer the non injected cars. In the end, I will probably either sell my "play car", or try to find someone interested in a fairly interesting trade for the Corvette.

I have been researching many ways of inspecting the cars here, and this source has truly been invaluable. After all of this, i still have a few questions:

1) I know you have to inspect the body mounts, like the ones by the footwell (#2's??), with the number 3's by the kick up? Is this the area just forward of the rear tires? Can you inspect this area from underneath?

2) Is there a way of preserving these areas, or protecting them after you find a car that is in good shape there? Would some type of oil preserve them?

3) I have read as many as 3 out of 4 cars have problems in these areas, which for a car with the value that i am in the market for, would make fixing it not worth it. For the guys that look at these cars regularly, is that correct?

4) Probably a stupid question, but why do so many people who are trying to sell their Corvette omit pictures of the undercarriage? Maybe it is just me, but that is an area I am most interested in?

Any help would be appreciated guys.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi pf,
I'll try #3 & #4.
I think 3 out of 4 is a bit high, BUT, many cars do have a bit of rust even if it's just surface rust. There are rust free cars out there to be found if that's what you want.
Sometimes the car being sold has nice paint, chrome, and interior; but the chassis is not as nice. Usually cars with a chassis that has had a bit of attention (even just cleaned and painted satin black) will have some pictures included. I like to see the chassis too, I think it tells a LOT about the car. I think the engine compartment tells the most.
Good luck as you learn and look!
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-28-2010, 08:14 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by phinfan
1) I know you have to inspect the body mounts, like the ones by the footwell (#2's??), with the number 3's by the kick up? Is this the area just forward of the rear tires? Can you inspect this area from underneath?.
Not that I know of. I'm more familiar with earlier models but think the 80 - 82 probably have the same access panel in front of the rear wheel. 4 bolts hold them on. Mount is behind the panel.

2) Is there a way of preserving these areas, or protecting them after you find a car that is in good shape there? Would some type of oil preserve them?
Many use POR-15. For #2, heavy rusting is often evidence of a water leak coming from the windshield frame area. That area shouldn't see much moisture unless there's a leak. A red flag suggesting you should take a close look at the cowl and windshield frame areas.

3) I have read as many as 3 out of 4 cars have problems in these areas, which for a car with the value that i am in the market for, would make fixing it not worth it. For the guys that look at these cars regularly, is that correct?
Corvettes which spent much of their lives in the rust belt may have this problem. There may be many more from the South or West which would be clean. Look over candidates carefully, be patient. If necessary take a trip to look at one from a drier area or at leas an area where it doesn't snow (no salt)..
Old 11-28-2010, 09:05 PM
phinfan
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, how do you get to this panel in front of the rear wheels?

Is it inside the car, behind the seat maybe?

Come off with a screwdriver?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:16 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I could be wrong but I think on my '78 the rear mount is accessed from the inside of the tub under the carpet. I didn't have any panels that covered them.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:35 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by milo30
I could be wrong but I think on my '78 the rear mount is accessed from the inside of the tub under the carpet. I didn't have any panels that covered them.
You're probably right. I'm more familiar with the earlier models.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
You're probably right. I'm more familiar with the earlier models.
I'm thinking #3 is accessed by removing the plate at the front of the rear fender wells on all C3s.

Take a peek under there and you are likely to see it.

Get notified of new replies

To 1980-81 Birdcage and Frame question

Quick Reply: 1980-81 Birdcage and Frame question