Three Motion GT Phase III's in same place

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:39 PM
bobbarry
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Three Motion GT Phase III's in same place

http://www.carguychronicles.com/2010...se-iii-gt.html

For the first time ever, 3 of the 12 GTs built between 1969 and 1971, one for each year, were in the same place at the same time!

Joel “Mr. Motion” Rosen, the most prolific builder-marketer of modified new big-block Chevys (Baldwin-Motion) during the Supercar Sixties & Seventies, was reunited with his iconic cars, like three Baldwin-Motion Phase III GT Corvettes, at the MOTION MADNESS Reunion at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals in Chicago. The last time Rosen saw one of the GTs, Adam Tuckman’s ’71 Corvette, was when he delivered it to the original purchaser, Dr. Harry Rollings (Savannah, GA) in 1971! It was the last built and the most expensive at $16, 283. HOT ROD Magazine LIVE's Dennis Pittsenbarger with Adam, below, right, spent a lot of time with the GTs and interviewed Joel Rosen inside Tuckman's GT!

Tuckman’s white ‘71 GT was displayed at MCACN 2010 with Dan McMichael’s yellow ’70 GT (formerly owned by Joel Rosen) and a red ’69 GT (the only one fitted with a Dodge Challenger gas filler) owned by Team MCD. The ’70 and ’71 GTs were restored by John Waleck, Artisan Coach Works, Hopatcong, NJ and the ’69 GT by Kevin Mackay, Corvette Repair, Valley Stream, NY.

“Some 18 years before Reeves Callaway built his first Twin-Turbo Corvette, in a garage on Long Island, NY, a young man named Joel Rosen was putting the finishing touches on a (Phase III GT) Corvette that would delight Zora Arkus-Duntov and leave an indelible mark--however brief--in the pages of Corvette history,” said author, editor and photojournalist, Paul Zazarine, in an article titled "Total Motivation" in June 1993 Corvette Fever.

No two Phase III GT Corvettes were alike. Three different outside exhaust systems were offered - 1965-1967 Corvette with aluminum covers, massive 1969 Corvette finned and polished off-road pipes and chromed header/side exhausts. Some early GTs showcased stylish faired-in Plexiglas headlamp covers that were later dropped due to motor vehicle regulations.

Space and labor constraints at Motion severely limited Phase III GT conversions. Approximately 12 GTs were built from 1969 thru 1971. Rather than sacrifice quality and negatively impact the momentum of his prosperous specialty car program, Rosen restricted GT-specific advertising and promotions, allowing the GT to phase itself out in 1971. It was followed by the Motion Maco Shark and Manta Ray custom Corvettes.

Rosen’s solution to the Corvette’s interior space limitations required major plastic surgery including replacement of the stock backlight, above, photo. He pulled the small, upright rear window, positioned a custom oversize fastback window and gutted the area behind the seats. Once finished and the space carpeted, the prototype GT boasted enough stowage for golf clubs or luggage for two. Visibility was greatly improved as well. He designed replacement front and rear body panels and fender flares to further enhance the look and exclusivity of this uniquely American GT, and created engine options up to 500 horsepower. His goal was to produce a GT that would make a statement and deliver a pulse-quickening driving experience.

Rosen planned on keeping the last Phase III GT but it was not to be. Unfortunately, the last 1971 GT ended up being a customer-ordered car. The program was over and, while he did realize his dream, he did not end up with his dream car. For that he would have to wait some 20 years when he found a 1970 GT that Baldwin Chevrolet had originally shipped to a customer in California! After Rosen had John Waleck restore it, it was the subject of magazine cover stories, featured at major shows, and was later sold to Baldwin-Motion collector, Dan McMichael who brought it, above, to Chicago for MOTION MADNESS .

Of all the Baldwin-Motion cars built, the GT was Mr. Motion’s favorite. “I really designed the GT for myself. The rear stowage area was big enough so that my wife, Judith, and I could go cruising with one of our big dogs. Seeing the three together at MCACN was an emotional experience,” said Rosen, left,.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:25 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Interesting article. Living in NYC all my life a Motion Phase III GT was my "dream car". I never got to actually see in person. However someone I knew owned a Motion Chevelle. This was back in the early '70s. They were just "fast" used cars back then. Who knew? Thanks for posting.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:49 PM
eastltd
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was going to make a comment about a fourth being on the picture until I read the article.

I guess that one is a clone.

Nice write up and photo.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:53 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool, Like the Motions too !!! thanks for sharing.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:55 PM
dbeall1968
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it very ironic that Rosen never was able to get one of his own until 20 years later, but first he had to restore it!!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:32 PM
1996Z15
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by eastltd
I was going to make a comment about a fourth being on the picture until I read the article.

Nice write up and photo.

Thanks for sharing.
The fourth Corvette that you see is not a clone, just not a Phase III GT. It's probably "just" a Motion Corvette SS-427.

I was fortunate enough to go to Motion Performance with my parents as a young boy. In the showroom was a pearl yellow Phase III GT; I was 8 years old at the time and I have never forgotten that car.

I frequent Yenko.net; a great site that has many extremely knowledgeable members. One of the members is Marty Schorr; the man responsible for really publicizing the Motion cars. Someone posted a black and white picture of a Phase III GT that is currently in Canada somewhere; it happens to be the car I saw as a kid.

I truly love these cars; not everyone appreciates what they are but, for me, I would give just about anything for one.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Alex/plus
Racer

Originally Posted by eastltd

Nice write up and photo.

Thanks for sharing.
I noticed the same thing. Look beyound the end car and there's another or else a clone.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:53 AM
dgr72vette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to dream about those Baldwin/Motion cars as a teenager.
Still have a copy of the catalog with all the prices and ordering info that I sent away for back then.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:44 AM
vette54728702
Melting Slicks

I'm not knowledgeable about the motion cars at all, but I was at this show this year and last year, they do not allow clones at this show.

Did anyone get pictures of the 80-82 motion car? I tried but it came out very blurry.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:52 PM
oboym
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vette54758702
I'm not knowledgeable about the motion cars at all, but I was at this show this year and last year, they do not allow clones at this show.

Did anyone get pictures of the 80-82 motion car? I tried but it came out very blurry.
1981 Motion Phase III 454 Corvette

[IMG]http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h36/oboym/IMG_0040_0406_406.jpg][IMG]

Last edited by oboym; 08-12-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:14 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The red one all the way at the end looks interesting. Thanks for posting!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:00 PM
oboym
6th Gear

Originally Posted by parkerracing
The red one all the way at the end looks interesting. Thanks for posting!

Last edited by oboym; 08-11-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:44 AM
oboym
6th Gear

Old 08-12-2011, 05:56 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was wondering if that was the Manta Ray, Thanks.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:19 AM
oboym
6th Gear

Originally Posted by parkerracing
I was wondering if that was the Manta Ray, Thanks.
YES 1973 Baldwin Motion Manta Ray corvette

Last edited by oboym; 08-12-2011 at 09:24 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Three Motion GT Phase III's in same place

Quick Reply: Three Motion GT Phase III's in same place