Sponsored by:

Pics of Dash/Console Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 04:33 PM
timd02
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of Dash/Console Wiring Harness

I am in the process of putting my console and dash back in my 75 and need to see some pictures of how the wiring harness is routed. If you have any, please post them. Thanks
Old 12-02-2010, 04:43 PM
sabrooks
Advanced

I'm currently working on the re-wiring of my 76, so I'll be watching out too. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2010, 04:45 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The harness goes over the speedo on the left side (there is a large clip on speedo) and across to the tach under another larger clip and down the right side of tach to the center cluster. There is one large tail that drops between the speedo and tach for the column and kickdown connectors.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:16 PM
flyingman21
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully this will help. It is from a 69 AIM though...

Name:  dashwire.jpg
Views: 21825
Size:  185.9 KB

Name:  consolewire.jpg
Views: 22909
Size:  192.2 KB

Last edited by flyingman21; 12-02-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Vette Rookie
Instructor

Here is a pic from my 73 restoration and a link to some other pics I've taken. just let me know if there are any other areas you need pics as I have about 1000 on file.
Name:  DSC03455.jpg
Views: 14206
Size:  114.9 KB

Link: http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/l...ion/?start=all
Old 12-02-2010, 08:55 PM
timd02
Racer

The biggest issue I am having is making sure I have the harness in the right position with the duct work in place. I know how it runs along the top of the speed/tachometer but what about where the harness runs down for the AC/Heater controls, shifter console, and power windows?

I appreciate you guys help and hope to have this knocked out soon but seems like a previous owner was in there before me. I
Old 12-02-2010, 11:15 PM
timd02
Racer

Would I be better off going ahead and installing the left hand(tach/speedo) first and then routing the harness around it before trying to install the gauge cluster, shifter console, etc?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:37 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by timd02
Would I be better off going ahead and installing the left hand(tach/speedo) first and then routing the harness around it before trying to install the gauge cluster, shifter console, etc?
Yes, that's the way I do it if possible.
Don't know if this will help, but once this far, it should be simple to lay out.
The taped harness part lays on the tunnel from the drivers side to the pass side and then runs under the console toward the rear.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:12 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Is 74 similar to 75?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:16 AM
timd02
Racer

Thanks Noonie. That pic is exactly what I needed. I think my harness is pulled over to the passenger side too far due to moving it alot during carpet install. The harness is being a PITA to work with right now due to the colder temps we are having. It is suppose to be up in the mid 60's tomorrow so hopefully I can pull the car out in the driveway and let the sun shine on the harness for a few hours before I attempt to route it. Thanks to everyone for the help.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Tim, the assembly instruction manual (AIM) helps a bit. The routing could vary between model years, so it would be best to check the 75 AIM.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:44 AM
timd02
Racer

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Tim, the assembly instruction manual (AIM) helps a bit. The routing could vary between model years, so it would be best to check the 75 AIM.

I did check it but it doesn't show how in runs with the ductwork and etc. in place.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:36 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

After struggling with the harness my 68, I removed the speedo and tach from the panel and then pushed the panel into place. With the speedo and tach removed I could see areas of interference with the harness and I could reach through the speedo/tach holes to move the harness around. I did this with the steering column removed. Working with the interior/firewall harnesses, etc is so much easier with the column removed. It's relatively easy to remove and reinstall the column.

I now have the interior and steering column of my 70 removed. I've got a lot of work to do to get it back!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:03 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey,
Almost the same pictures as befor. Sorry aint got no better ones.
Name:  dash-side.jpg
Views: 10961
Size:  132.2 KB
Name:  IMG_2028.jpg
Views: 10528
Size:  160.2 KB
The following users liked this post:
SouthCarolina77 (08-08-2020)
Old 12-05-2010, 10:29 AM
timd02
Racer

Dembo,

How does the cable that runs from the right side of the heater/ac control to the top of the heater box route? Does it go behind the windshield defrost duct or does it go further back and follow the routing of the vacuum tubes that connect to the controler?
Old 12-05-2010, 10:47 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey Tim,

I don't have a good picture but I routed mine as follows and I think it's consistent with the AIM.
The AC harness follows the vacuum hoses. Both come in on the passenger side (next to the wiper motor) through the firewall. They then route downwards behind the heater box and come out below the black box which directs air to the feet. (it clips on the heater box). Basically the harness & vac hoses are then 'resting' on the transmission tunnel. The go over the metal bracket which is there to secure the shifter console at the front to the heater control panel. The AC harness also plugs in to the instrument panel harness. This harness should have a plastic clip taped into it and this clip plugs into a hole on the right hand side of the same bracket (to fix the shifter console). So the instrument panel harness goes down over the tach, upto the transmission tunnel, over and parallel to that bracket. The instrument panel branch going to the RH side lies on the transmission tunnel but stays in front of that bracket (in between the bracket and the heater box). The gauge cluster wires (lamps,gauges) come out of the instrument panel where it's going down over the tach and on mine they are between the LH dash pad and the din radio bezel.
It's difficult to explain without pictures but I gave it my best shot
Nick

Edit : I just reread your question lol The controller cable follows the vacuum hoses meaning underneath the black box for feet heating, but I can't remember if it goes all the way to the firewall or if it comes up before, parellel with the heater box. I think I routed it as shown on the picture (the dotted line is where it goes behind / underneath the feet heater duct)
Name:  routing.jpg
Views: 14165
Size:  104.8 KB

Last edited by dembo; 12-05-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:28 AM
timd02
Racer

Originally Posted by dembo
Hey Tim,

I don't have a good picture but I routed mine as follows and I think it's consistent with the AIM.
The AC harness follows the vacuum hoses. Both come in on the passenger side (next to the wiper motor) through the firewall. They then route downwards behind the heater box and come out below the black box which directs air to the feet. (it clips on the heater box). Basically the harness & vac hoses are then 'resting' on the transmission tunnel. The go over the metal bracket which is there to secure the shifter console at the front to the heater control panel. The AC harness also plugs in to the instrument panel harness. This harness should have a plastic clip taped into it and this clip plugs into a hole on the right hand side of the same bracket (to fix the shifter console). So the instrument panel harness goes down over the tach, upto the transmission tunnel, over and parallel to that bracket. The instrument panel branch going to the RH side lies on the transmission tunnel but stays in front of that bracket (in between the bracket and the heater box). The gauge cluster wires (lamps,gauges) come out of the instrument panel where it's going down over the tach and on mine they are between the LH dash pad and the din radio bezel.
It's difficult to explain without pictures but I gave it my best shot
Nick

Edit : I just reread your question lol The controller cable follows the vacuum hoses meaning underneath the black box for feet heating, but I can't remember if it goes all the way to the firewall or if it comes up before, parellel with the heater box. I think I routed it as shown on the picture (the dotted line is where it goes behind / underneath the feet heater duct)
Thanks Dembo but I think I got it. I did not have the cable routed under the floor heater ducts and it was causing the controller to kick up when I went to install the console plate. I took it loose and routed it to where it runs next to the vacuum lines that attach to the controller.

Get notified of new replies

To Pics of Dash/Console Wiring Harness

Old 12-05-2010, 11:36 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default After having pulled my dash about 3 times....

The last time I did it, I went ahead and added 2 combo connectors to every lead on that harness. I soldered every lead to avoid future connection problems.

So now, I just disconnect 2 connectors and then work on pulling the dash.

I kept deferring because I told myself that I'd never pull the dash again....but the 3rd time I just soldered in the combo connectors to make my future experiments easier.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:48 PM
timd02
Racer

Name:  IMG_0482.jpg
Views: 20301
Size:  143.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0481.jpg
Views: 9586
Size:  130.3 KB

Can anyone tell me what connects to this connector with the brown and yellow wires? Thanks
Old 04-20-2015, 12:36 PM
grema011
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by timd02

Can anyone tell me what connects to this connector with the brown and yellow wires? Thanks
Ever find out where this goes? I'm having the exact same issue.

Quick Reply: Pics of Dash/Console Wiring Harness