Sponsored by:

diff rebuild book?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:21 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default diff rebuild book?

Does anyone know of a good book or video(preferably book) on rebuilding differentials that would help in doing my Dana 44? I have done about everything on a motor and even helped rebuild trannys but never messed with a diff, and I want to do mine myself after I rebuild the trans.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

Here's a good thread on the subject.

Gary

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ild-paper.html
Old 12-14-2010, 10:11 PM
CTVETTE78
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get yourself a copy of Paul Zank's "Differential Rebuilding" DVD. It's what I used along with Gary Ramadei's paper when I rebuilt my diff. The DVD is well worth the money for what you will learn from it. It is a huge benefit to actually see someone perform the rebuilding operations. I probably watched the video three or four times before I started my rebuild.

www.technicalvideos.com

Good luck with your rebuild. I had a blast with mine.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:02 AM
1976 corvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CTVETTE78
Get yourself a copy of Paul Zank's "Differential Rebuilding" DVD. It's what I used along with Gary Ramadei's paper when I rebuilt my diff. The DVD is well worth the money for what you will learn from it. It is a huge benefit to actually see someone perform the rebuilding operations. I probably watched the video three or four times before I started my rebuild.

www.technicalvideos.com

Good luck with your rebuild. I had a blast with mine.

This and Gary was a major help. It was fun but I wouldn't have had a chance if I didn't have Gary mentoring me through the rebuilt process. Good luck
Old 12-15-2010, 09:32 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you don't have the right tools/gages for rebuilding a differential...and don't want the expense of buying them...just have it done by a reputable rebuilder. Just my .02....
Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_...nt_Rebuild.pdf

Here is a link to Gary's article, it is a great resource. Additionally, the link below I found has a lot of his other articles and random info for rebuilding lots of other c3 stuff.
http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_info/
Old 12-15-2010, 10:09 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If you don't have the right tools/gages for rebuilding a differential...and don't want the expense of buying them...just have it done by a reputable rebuilder. Just my .02....
My buddy closed his and his dads shop after his dad passed away. But he kept alomost everything. So I have access to every possible shop tool and press. But Tom's dad was the rear end guru not him. I have taught myself everything from body work and paint to transmissions. My dad taught me to rebuild engines, so I figure if I can tackle this I will feel good, however if after the research I still feel intimidated like I do now, I will send it off. :O)
Old 12-15-2010, 10:49 PM
northern77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my first TH 350 transmission rebuild with Boxwrench video this year. It turn out good. It nice having a video to go back and look at while putting it all back together. First you might want check out some short clips on you tube of the rebuild.

http://store.boxwrench.net/Rear-Axle...ideo_p_61.html

Get notified of new replies

To diff rebuild book?

Quick Reply: diff rebuild book?