Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 seats in a C3

Old 01-01-2011, 07:46 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Default C5 seats in a C3

Last summer I bought a set of Corbeau seats for my 76. Corbeau said they would fit using their brackets. Wrong. If I were 5 foot 6 they would have worked. I'm 6 feet tall. I even tried bolting them directly to the floor. Didn't work. They even shaved off 1 inch at the factory and still no good. I love my C5 seats in my 04. Do C5 seats fit in a C3 height wise? Are they about the same as stock or is there headroom issues? I currently have 1982 seats installed and they fit perfectly. Thanks for the help........ For sale... Corbeau seat adapters. Half price! Been modified to actually line up with the mounting holes.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:53 PM
76vette1
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like them. I'm 6'4" and I still fit. I used 1/2" spacers between the seats and the original seat rails.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Yes they fit in very good. I installed them a few years ago and the yare much better than the C3 seats, and lighter also. I used the C3 brackets and bolted them to the C5 frames. I had to drill some different holes but not a bad job at all.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:31 PM
dmeesq
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

I was thinking about doing the c5 seats but went with Fiero seats. Great fit in c3s.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:13 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

I am 6'1" and I can sit in my C5 seats no problem; even with brand new foam and covers. I bolted my C3 seat rails directly to the C5 seats by using an existing hole at the front, and drilling and tapping a hole at the rear. On the passenger side, I swapped the seat rails so that the adjuster arm is next to the trans tunnel like the driver's side. To do this I had to cut the adjuster arm off and weld it on the other side to get it in the right spot. I also had to notch the seat frame a little to get some clearance. If you don't swap the passenger side rails, you will have to use some spacers to allow the adjuster arm to work. I should have taken some pics. I think the two C5 seats weigh the same as one of my C3 seats!

Old 01-02-2011, 05:12 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
I am 6'1" and I can sit in my C5 seats no problem; even with brand new foam and covers. I bolted my C3 seat rails directly to the C5 seats by using an existing hole at the front, and drilling and tapping a hole at the rear. On the passenger side, I swapped the seat rails so that the adjuster arm is next to the trans tunnel like the driver's side. To do this I had to cut the adjuster arm off and weld it on the other side to get it in the right spot. I also had to notch the seat frame a little to get some clearance. If you don't swap the passenger side rails, you will have to use some spacers to allow the adjuster arm to work. I should have taken some pics. I think the two C5 seats weigh the same as one of my C3 seats!

You are all awesome. Thanks for taking the time to respond and for posting pictures. The Corbeau thing was a disaster. I lost about $500.00 in that try and ended up back at square one. Thanks again.....
Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 PM
C3Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres the ZO6 seats in my 79 project. I welded up new mounting plates to make em fit the C3 bolt pattern. I never had the original seats in mine so I cant compare these to the original seat heigth. Im 5 11 and have plenty of room.

Last edited by C3Dave; 01-02-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:50 AM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by dmeesq
I was thinking about doing the c5 seats but went with Fiero seats. Great fit in c3s.
These look great as well.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:29 AM
kirt8548
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! This is great information and one of the many reasons that I appreciate you all so much.

I recently sold my original seats out of my '75 coupe project. I thought long and hard about Corbeau. I'm glad I didn't. I'm also glad I kept the original seat rails. I also just decided to "go for it" and Ebay'd a set of C5 seats. The Vette and Fiero seats look absolutely awesome.

While I somewhat understand the modifications you made, does anyone have any pictures or specific information. For example, what size hole did you tap?

One of the other reasons I chose to replace the seats is that my wifey is built a little close to the ground. She just wasn't comfortable driving the car with the other, non-adjustable seat.

Thanks again....and cheers.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:43 AM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Old 07-10-2011, 03:45 PM
81shark2008
Racer

Default what year

Originally Posted by vetten76
These look great as well.
i have a 1981 corvette and these seats look awesome in this car, what year fiero seats would i get? and do they need customizing? thanks
Old 07-10-2011, 08:30 PM
vetten76
Drifting

I didn't take pictures of my install. I get to focused on the task and always forget. ADD thing..... I used 3/8 inch bolts for the bolt size, however, a good self taping bolt would have worked too. The aluminum frames on the c5 seats is pretty thick and I think that 4 good sized self tapping bolts would work fine. If I would have had any, I would have used them. The biggest trick is to mount them with enough space in the rear to be able to put a socket and extension in there to tighten the seats to the floor. I left about a thumbs worth. Worked great. Too close, and the top half of the seat wont lock into place. (I had to redo one of mine for more clearance). Hope this helps. Love my seats. Now my only problem is that the the steering wheel is to damn close to me. Feels funny on my arms!

Originally Posted by kirt8548
Wow! This is great information and one of the many reasons that I appreciate you all so much.

I recently sold my original seats out of my '75 coupe project. I thought long and hard about Corbeau. I'm glad I didn't. I'm also glad I kept the original seat rails. I also just decided to "go for it" and Ebay'd a set of C5 seats. The Vette and Fiero seats look absolutely awesome.

While I somewhat understand the modifications you made, does anyone have any pictures or specific information. For example, what size hole did you tap?

One of the other reasons I chose to replace the seats is that my wifey is built a little close to the ground. She just wasn't comfortable driving the car with the other, non-adjustable seat.

Thanks again....and cheers.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:44 PM
indydoug
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 81shark2008
i have a 1981 corvette and these seats look awesome in this car, what year fiero seats would i get? and do they need customizing? thanks
Any year Fiero seats will work (Fieros were produced from 1984 to 1988). You have a couple mounting options, I am in the process of installing a pair of Fiero seats and I followed this: http://corvettec3.ca/fiero.htm. Double check your dimensions before drilling, mine were 1/4" longer than shown, 14" vs. 13 3/4". (Mr. Mike will be getting a call from me shortly.)

Last edited by indydoug; 07-10-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:56 PM
UberLegend
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to those that posted pics. I see my project creepin.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:49 AM
richard emmanuel
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default fiero seats vs c5 seats in a c3

I recently went with the fiero seats in my 77 and I love it. I got the seats out of a fiero in the junk yard and after chosing the color I wanted ordered them thru MR Mikes and with the video help and install kit did it my self. The seats are very comfortable and in fact more comfortable than the c5 seats, I know because I also have a 2002 that I have owned since 2003. Also I like the look of the fiero seat in a c3 because it looks like they belong there. Also pics I have seen of c5 seats in a c3 look out of place but they do work, just not my cup of tea.
Richard
Old 07-12-2011, 08:44 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Did this back in 2000, been very happy with them now for 11 years!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:25 AM
mn_leaf_fan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by indydoug
Any year Fiero seats will work (Fieros were produced from 1984 to 1988). You have a couple mounting options, I am in the process of installing a pair of Fiero seats and I followed this: http://corvettec3.ca/fiero.htm. Double check your dimensions before drilling, mine were 1/4" longer than shown, 14" vs. 13 3/4". (Mr. Mike will be getting a call from me shortly.)
Thanks for the link to the mounting brackets!

I picked up some Fiero seats about 2 months ago, and my MrMikes covers arrived on Friday! Quality looks excellent.

I won't get to work on them for a little while.... need to get the family vacation out of the way first!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 seats in a C3

Old 07-12-2011, 09:36 AM
gregmuzila
Racer

Originally Posted by dmeesq
Your car is beyond belief! What value do you place it at? What have you done to it, etc. You should make your own thread lol
Old 07-12-2011, 12:30 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Wow. I agree. Looks sweet. I have custom interior parts that I've adapted and made. Looks like you did too. More pics please.....

Originally Posted by gregmuzila
Your car is beyond belief! What value do you place it at? What have you done to it, etc. You should make your own thread lol
Old 07-12-2011, 04:52 PM
dmeesq
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by vetten76
Wow. I agree. Looks sweet. I have custom interior parts that I've adapted and made. Looks like you did too. More pics please.....
Thanks

Heres my thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...stly-pics.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 seats in a C3