C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DeWitt radiators: Do you need or just want?

Old 01-12-2011, 09:42 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by PHPD7102
Mine is not in the car yet but I ordered one with the electric fan set up, once it arrived I opened up the box to look it over and man what a beautiful piece it is. Well made and looks like it could keep a funny car cool running in the desert.

If it works half as good as it looks I'll be pleased.
mine is the same. my OEM radiator appeared to be the original (from 78) and exhibited signs of some weepage (green discoloration around some of the solder joints, tubes etc) figured it was time and as long as i was doing it (and the car is certainly not going to be a daily driver and will probably spend more time sitting in the garage than sitting on the road), i decided it was worth the investment in the best product out there (the workmanship and customer service from dewitt was fantastic). each to his own i guess
Old 01-13-2011, 12:22 PM
dstaley
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My original copper/brass radiator was in good condition, but my new (409 SBC) engine was overheating. It was clearly a case of inadequate cooling capacity- I was fine up to 60 MPH, but when the engine was pushed a little harder- temperatures would creep up and run away. A brand new copper/brass, of visually identical construction, behaved in exactly the same way- stable at 60 MPH, became unstable and ran away at anything 62 MPH or over.

I tried a new severe duty fan clutch, it didn't have any effect on the highway- as we would expect, since the fan really is intended to work at slower speeds but not so much on the highway.

I adjusted timing and A/F mixture all over the map, but the results on the highway were virtually unchanged except for MPG and acceleration performance.

I eventually realized that given how the speed was such an overriding factor that my engine was conducting more heat into the coolant because the new engine had aluminum heads rather than iron (aluminum has a far higher thermal conductivity coefficient than iron) so even at cruise when the same power is being generated as the old engine, more heat is conducted into the coolant rather than just expelled through the exhaust port.

Keep in mind that GM resorted to using aluminum radiators in big block and high performance C3's when they were in production. They were eliminated when the high horsepower engines went away.

I ordered a new radiator from Tom, and it completely solved the problem. Tuning was a breeze (both carburetor and timing) and I had the freedom to tune for performance and MPG, without a worry about overheating (or the resulting detonation). I'm a very happy DeWitts customer.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:14 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by wcsinx
Not saying Dewitts isn't a good piece, but you can get aluminum C3 rads for much less (~1/4th) from other vendors.
and as good....
and made in the usa... mine was 600$ including duel spal fans and BEAUTIFUL custom aluminum shroud.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:33 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Quote:
Not saying Dewitts isn't a good piece, but you can get aluminum C3 rads for much less (~1/4th) from other vendors.

Originally Posted by pauldana
and as good....
and made in the usa... mine was 600$ including duel spal fans and BEAUTIFUL custom aluminum shroud.
I reserched all the Fleabay and net units,
NONE are in par with what Dewitts offers...will they cool as good? I do not know I havent tested them but they are far from made the same,

Things like fin count and rows and row size matter a lot,

PaulDana,
Please send me a link to your unit ( in private ) as not to upset forum cops and suporting venders,

Many thanks!
Cheers,
P.

The13bats@aol.com
Old 01-13-2011, 09:45 PM
axelz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dewitts rad is worth the money, you get what you pay for.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:54 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by axelz
Dewitts rad is worth the money, you get what you pay for.
I agree..but when you get something for your dough, even peace of mind is something....I would pay for peace of mind,
What is just stupid is overpaying for something just because the last dolt overpaid for it.....
Old 01-13-2011, 10:06 PM
eastltd
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
Other's dress up the compartment with chrome and polish, so you'll get a lot of different opionions on this one.
Your rad dresses up the engine compartment all by itself

It sure would be nice to get a cool Dewitt's rad cap! Hint!

Last edited by eastltd; 01-13-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-13-2011, 10:24 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by eastltd
It sure would be nice to get a cool Dewitt's rad cap! Hint!
Actually we do have one now. I'll post a photo in the morning.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 PM
eastltd
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
Actually we do have one now. I'll post a photo in the morning.

I'll take it!
PM me the details for the purchase.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:45 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Quote:

I reserched all the Fleabay and net units,
NONE are in par with what Dewitts offers...will they cool as good? I do not know I havent tested them but they are far from made the same,

Things like fin count and rows and row size matter a lot,

PaulDana,
Please send me a link to your unit ( in private ) as not to upset forum cops and suporting venders,

Many thanks!
Cheers,
P.

The13bats@aol.com
il pm you the link.... it is an amazing unit, same fin and row count... check it out for yourself and make up your own mind... either way, im sure you will be happy.... and informed.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:05 AM
NavyGunner1980
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by milo30
I am rebuilding my car and saw the sale on radiators. Since I am doing a frame off, I have to watch my money. I've noticed many of you use these and I don't doubt that they are good. I've never had any problems with my 78 over heating even in the Texas summers but it has been about 5-6 years since it ran and then I didn't ever have the a/c charged.

How many of you have changed it just because and how many have had over heating issues with the stock radiator? I'm just trying to decide if I should spend $900 on a new radiator and electric fans when I have so much more to replace at this point. 10% off and free shipping makes it very tempting.
My .02 cents,
My car runs hot here in Florida, it is an automatic so it is dumping more heat into the radiator than a stick, I am in the process of installing a dual core all aluminim radiator in the car this weekend.

I will let you know how I make out.

It seems more people who post here have Z06's (Non-Automatic)

Good luck :-)

Tony
Old 08-19-2016, 09:56 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 852 Likes on 623 Posts

Have a Dewitt/Spal combo on my 69. Best thing I have done. Another benefit with the fans is you can easily fit a spreader bar in there. Best mod for handling I have done.

Bill
Old 08-19-2016, 12:45 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,320 Likes on 2,769 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyGunner1980
My .02 cents,
My car runs hot here in Florida, it is an automatic so it is dumping more heat into the radiator than a stick, I am in the process of installing a dual core all aluminim radiator in the car this weekend.

I will let you know how I make out.

It seems more people who post here have Z06's (Non-Automatic)

Good luck :-)

Tony
According to a search in another radiator thread yesterday, there were at least 20 pages of threads dealing with aluminum radiators. No need to respond to one thats been over for 5 years.
The following users liked this post:
mrvette (08-20-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DeWitt radiators: Do you need or just want?