Sponsored by:

Front Clip Dimples

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 09:44 PM
patto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Clip Dimples

Just behind my front headlights there are 2 rows of dimples, about 12 altogether that are showing as depressions in the glass.
Looks as though the front clip has been screwed here to underneathe support.
Not factory I gather but I have also been told that the screw depressions will always show through the glass even if re coated.
Only option is to remove screws, fill and attach as previous, how ever that was.
Any experiences with this?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:49 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Its from the factory. The correct way to fix it is to bond the header bar in place, then grind out every hole, and glass them shut.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:21 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Yep, the rivets are made of aluminum. They still manage to get element exposure through the porous fiberglass and subsequently corrode. Corrosion results in the swelling from the rivets and beneath the exterior painted surface. There are a few ways to repair this however some choose to leave the dimples for the original look or proof that the front clip was never smacked and repaired.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:29 PM
69ragvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clip

I did a 72 that had those I believe it is caused by moisture and a reaction between aluminum rivets and steel reinforcement kind of like the electrolysis on a boat. I center drilled the rivets with a small bit then used a 11/16 paddle bit to remove the glass over top of the rivets then replaced the rivets and glassed the holes But I did it one at a time check with a vette repair guy and see what he says.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Ret.Horsecop13
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Just consider them beauty marks!!! (I do)
Old 01-16-2011, 08:51 AM
garage-ghost
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Slight dimples are factory and completely normal. When the Dimples become bumps that means corrosion and time to fix. Mine has factory dimples and they are staying.

Last edited by garage-ghost; 01-16-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:57 AM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 255 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

ZITS..................hate em................. !!!
Old 01-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You probably have an original hood surround panel and headlight header bar. That's the good news.

The headlight header bar is stamped steel. The bonding strip was riveted to the header bar on early cars using aluminum rivets. Over time, through galvanic action, the aluminum rivets will back away from the steel and will rise against the underside of the hood surround panel. You will begin to notice spots about the size of quarters outlining the head of the rivets.

You can remove the header bar and bonding strip, remove the rivets, and bond the unit back in. Big job but saves body work and paint.

Your second choice is to remove the rivets from the top side, glass over the holes, and prep for paint.

On later cars, following the development of better adhesives, the rivets were eliminated and the bonding strip was glued directly to the header bar.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Big Block 69
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

When I had my 69 painted in 81, I had the shop "repair" those rivet bumps. I wish I had left them alone. I later learned they were proof the front end hadn't been messed with and over time the "repairs" look worse than the bumps ever did.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:09 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

I still have them...I may be getting my car restored this fall...paint etc...I am probably going to get rid of the dimples...everybody wonders what is that popping thru??
Old 01-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
I believe that even if you remove the header bar and replace the rivets, or use no rivets, the small bumps will remain because the surround has taken such a memory-set. I don't think they just dissappear because the rivet oxidation pressure is off.
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Manuel Azevedo
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
I believe that even if you remove the header bar and replace the rivets, or use no rivets, the small bumps will remain because the surround has taken such a memory-set. I don't think they just dissappear because the rivet oxidation pressure is off.
Regards,
Alan

This is true to a point Alan, but I was successful in removing them on my 68 by using a heat gun and getting the glass real hot and soft and then clamping two flat pieces of metal on them till the glass cooled, when I removed the clamps the bumps were gone, anyway something that could work for others.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Chrome bumper cars develop this abnormality

There are actually a total of 34 bumps in two rows...Once started they can only get worse....and they were not a latent factory defect but are a result of moisture...Some are much worse than others and when I re-discovered my 68 after 35 years they had become present. So we repaired them and that started a whole new chapter in the rebirth of my 68
Old 01-16-2011, 11:12 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

I did mine this past spring on my 68, I had to, they were really really really bad. Did a little research here on the forum and finally decided to remove the header bar by drilling the rivets out from the bottom without coming through the surface. Actually I did on 1 of them. I used a 90 degree drill with a short bit for up on the sides. I left the original bonding stripp on, its glued to the bottom of the nose sandwiched between the bar and the nose, the stripp wasnt nessasary to remove. I reglued my bar back into position using Lord-Fusor 2 part metal to fiberglass adhesive. Of course the darn double tube gun cost more than the glue itself. Prior to that I drilled a few tiny holes in the bar to locate it back in the exact spot that it came out of. I also glued a few plastic spacers in a couple of spots on the top of it so when it got clamped into position it didnt squeeze out all of the adhesive. Prior to the glue, I used several wooden paint stirrirs and a boatload of harbor freight clamps to knock down the bumps, guess what...the bumps smoothed themselfs back out. So far so good.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Ironcross
...Once started they can only get worse...
True, sad to say. They will not go away on their own and they will not get better.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Clip Dimples

Quick Reply: Front Clip Dimples