Sponsored by:

Help with 1975 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:48 PM
coasty75
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 1975 Rebuild

Hello C3 Owners. I recently purchased a Gutted out 1975 that has only the Frame Body and Tires. I know i'm getting myself into a lot of work but Ive been wanting to do this for a while. I would love for some suggestions on the process of how to put my Vette together and suggestions for parts. I would like to have a high performance 350. thanks in advance
Old 01-20-2011, 10:26 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

First, welcome to the forum, there is a lot of info here that people can help you with.
Start by getting your Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM) and some parts and service books, and start reading, you will learn alot from those books.
Good luck with your project and keep us posted.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:48 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Someone did a lot of work for you already...since it's all apart - start by cleaning....
Suspension & Drivetrain next...then body/paint and lastly interior...

(let's see some pics !)

Old 01-21-2011, 09:04 AM
coasty75
4th Gear

Sarge and MrJlr, thank you both for responding, I bought the AIM as suggested and I will post pictures either today and tomorrow. I plan on putting in all new suspension this week. My plan is for the outward appearance to be stock and everything updated on interior. do you know of any good places for new or used parts?
Old 01-21-2011, 10:11 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Welcome to the group. Good to have another 75 owner on board. Are you planning on taking the body off? You mentioned a performance 350 you may want to think about a 383 IMHO more bang for the buck.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldsarge
First, welcome to the forum, there is a lot of info here that people can help you with.
Start by getting your Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM) and some parts and service books, and start reading, you will learn alot from those books.
Good luck with your project and keep us posted.

Welcome, 75
Your description leads me to believe that you will be needing parts.When I bought my 71 it was in boxes. Some parts were missing some parts were not correct for a 71. Before you get to far look at the birdcage and frame to determine the amount of repair work that will be needed. If you have a solid frame and a solid birdcage you have a foundation to build on. I started to make a list of everything my car needed which was pretty much everything and watched for them in various places here and online (EBay). By not being in a hurry I have been able to acquire most everything that I need at more than a reasonable cost. Something that I found to be a big help to determine the correct parts for various years have been the vender catalogs both online and hard copies. You will get a great deal of help here on CF from the members and the vendors .
Please post photos of you car.
Scott
Old 01-22-2011, 08:39 AM
KALAWAY
Drifting

There seems to be three or four major Corvette parts dealers to choose from. Willcox, Ecklers, etc. They should come up if you google them. Then there's always Ebay, which a lot of folks don't like but it's been good to me, buying and selling. Craigslist too, if you dare.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi C75,
From your description it sounds like you have quite a project in front of you.
When you say 'gutted' and only list the parts you did, does that mean you didn't get any interior parts or exterior trim? Having a clearer idea of what you have will help people give you advice about where to look for what you need.
Good luck as you get started.
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Resist the urge to try to get her finished in a weekend to two. Slow down, take your time, do your homework, and do it right.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with 1975 Rebuild

Quick Reply: Help with 1975 Rebuild