Sponsored by:

1972 project car home finally

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:03 PM
efather
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1972 project car home finally

Just posting some pics of my new project. Will be a little while before I start it, but I thought I would post some pics as it is now. I am sure there will be a lot of questions coming once I start

I have all the parts that should be on the body, just not on the car. Add plan on doing a body off restore and blast the frame to remove the surface rust and go up from there. The body related paint removal will probably be subbed out but not sure yet.

Last edited by efather; 01-20-2011 at 07:15 AM. Reason: fix picture link
Old 01-19-2011, 09:40 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How are you posting your pics? I'm seeing the red X for the pics.

Rick B.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:42 PM
efather
Racer

Default pics

i tried to link to them off flicker and snapfish, neither seems to work. ill keep trying.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:58 PM
EricU
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Try Photobucket

It works quite well

Eric
Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this to post pictures;

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-p...tep-guide.html

Old 01-20-2011, 07:17 AM
efather
Racer

Default pics now work on original

thanks for the help, photobucket worked nicely.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:30 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like you have a good foundation to start your frame off.
Have fun! How about a few engine & frame pics too!
Glenn
Old 01-20-2011, 09:06 AM
efather
Racer

Default Additional pics

I will add some more when I take them. there will be lots of progress pics
Old 01-20-2011, 10:54 AM
EricU
Racer

Originally Posted by efather
I will add some more when I take them. there will be lots of progress pics

That is quite an impressive challenge, I am always awed by you guys that can do that kind of work.

Are you going to do most of the work in your garage at home or do you have a separate shop?

What are your plans, NCRS stock, nice driver, vintage racer, all out rod?

Eric.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:05 AM
efather
Racer

Default restore

I am going to do as much as I can in my garage. I have a 3 car garage so that may help some.

I have never taken on such a large task, but I think I can do it. And am very **** about things so that will be a plus.

as far as what II am going to do to it, not sure 100%. I know there will be some sort of engine work, maybe a crate engine to get 350ish hp or change out parts on the existing to get the same hp. I do plan on side pipes and try to keep the interior as it was.

I do plan on doing the chassis myself, but not sure how I am going to get the body off, dont want to rig a sling that may hurt the body, and doubt my friends will volunteer the lifting help

my wifes 96 interior redo is what got me thinking about this. my wife is the one who this will be for when done, but I get to do it however I want. was going to do another type of car so I could blast the body my self also, but she wanted this one. it helps that I wont as many questions since it is for her
Old 01-20-2011, 11:23 AM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 431 Likes on 258 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by EricU
That is quite an impressive challenge, I am always awed by you guys that can do that kind of work.
Are you going to do most of the work in your garage at home or do you have a separate shop?

What are your plans, NCRS stock, nice driver, vintage racer, all out rod?

Eric.

God bless those of you with all the time, money, vision & patience
Old 01-20-2011, 11:52 AM
EricU
Racer

Originally Posted by efather
I am going to do as much as I can in my garage. I have a 3 car garage so that may help some...
That is so cool. I have always had some kind of project car/boat/bike in my garage, yet never finished one to 100%.

Take lots of pics (digital cameras and on line photo hosting!)

...I know there will be some sort of engine work, maybe a crate engine to get 350ish hp or change out parts on the existing to get the same hp. I do plan on side pipes and try to keep the interior as it was...
I dumped a Chevy crate motor in mine, a FastBurn 385 (385 hp/385ft-lbs) with aluminum heads, I love the engine but am always wanting more hp, though I have told myself to just leave the hood shut and drive it! If you go the crate motor route, I strongly suggest it.

And watch out for the "zipper effect" or the "while I am at it" syndrome! I stopped myself before putting wheel flares on mine, but I still kind of look at mine and squint! Wishing it had flares, maybe the next reincarnation.

...I do plan on doing the chassis myself, but not sure how I am going to get the body off, dont want to rig a sling that may hurt the body, and doubt my friends will volunteer the lifting help...
BBQs and Beer? Though I find my friends eat and drink so much it ends up costing me a lot!!

Good luck and have fun! Eric.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:03 PM
efather
Racer

Default while i am at it syndrom...

I know all about it. see my post in the C4 section for when I changed my heater core out...
Old 01-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi ef,
I agree with Glenn that your car looks like a good beginning for an extensive project.
Lifting the body isn't as scary as people think... just a good bit of work. What you gain by doing it though is worth the work.
Pictures!!!
Regards,
Alan

PS: If I were you I'd put everything back together now and then disassemble the car.
This way you'll know how everything fits. Too often people post that the car is painted and now they realize for example that the bumpers don't fit well.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Pops Racer
Racer

Subscribed......
Old 01-20-2011, 10:34 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Humble beginnings, good luck with your project and keep us posted, with the progress.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:21 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. I started off with one thing and it exploded. Now there is nothing on my car except the empty shell and a steering column. I'll be pulling the body off as soon as the weather cooperates. It's pretty overwhelming at this point. Hope I remember where everything goes. I always hated working on cars because I was on a time frame to get it back on the road for work. Knowing this will be done when it is done is pretty relaxing.

I'll be checking in on your posts keeping track of your project. Have fun.

Just noticed you aren't far from me at all. I'm in North Arlington. If you need any help on something let me know. I know how hard some of these things are to do by yourself.

Last edited by milo30; 01-20-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 project car home finally

Old 01-21-2011, 07:17 AM
efather
Racer

Default anytime

same goes here, just yell if you need help. The more the marrier and always a good way to pick up pointers
Old 01-21-2011, 11:52 AM
mobjack68
Instructor

Looks a lot like mine when got it home.....my friends named it "Kit"
There must have been about 30 boxes of stuff that came along for the ride....
Old 01-21-2011, 12:41 PM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks like a great project. A few recommendations from my experience.

Take lots and lots of pictures during dis-assembly as they will be a great reference when you start putting it back together a couple years from now.

Label and bag all the parts you can as you will forget where some parts came from and from my experience bag them as soon as they come off. I would find bolts on my bench that I put down and didn't bag and a week later couldn't remember where they came from.

You may want to get a complete chassis bolt kit for your car (stainless would be great) as it will avoid countless trips to the hardware store or lots of hours blasting and repainting.

Get a bunch of large plastic stack-able bins. I got opaque ones with hinged covers and log in a spreadsheet what goes is in each bin. I can't tell you how many times I went through bins looking for one part that I needed because I didn't log where things went. Eventually I sorted what went into the bins based on a category such as : interior, suspension, body, engine bay etc.

I sent my frame out for blasting and powder coating. I should have also sent all the suspension parts with it as they took a lot of my time to blast and paint and relatively cheap if done as a batch.

You may consider sending the body out for soda blasting unless you feel that you want to do the razor blade method of stripping. I wouldn't have the patience for doing it an inch at a time.

Have fun and we will look forward to your progress pictures!!

Quick Reply: 1972 project car home finally