C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 guy needs some input please!!!! Lots of pictures....

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:26 PM
0331MARINE
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: You know your drunk when you swerve to miss the tree then you realize its your air freshener! Covington Ga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C5 guy needs some input please!!!! Lots of pictures....

Hey guys I would appreciate any help I can get. I have a chance to pick up a 1981 Vette. The car has been sitting in a garage for a few years and the guy said he started it about 2 months ago and it ran just fine. Right now the batt is dead so I couldnt hear it run. He is the 2nd owner of the car and has had it for 8 years. This used to be his DD and hard times hit and he now has to sale it. Also it does have A/C and looks to be in pretty good shape. It does need some work(interior and hoses and stuff) and I will be doing all the work myself. Also it will need a paint job. The body looks great. There isnt any cracks or anything like that.

So my question is what do you guys think from the pictures and what do you think the car is worth like it sits? Once again any help would be great.

Told you I had alot of pictures......

Last edited by 0331MARINE; 01-29-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

First thing... get a battery and see if the car starts and runs.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:50 PM
0331MARINE
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: You know your drunk when you swerve to miss the tree then you realize its your air freshener! Covington Ga

Originally Posted by Clubby99
First thing... get a battery and see if the car starts and runs.
Yeah the next time I go over there I plan on taking one with me. Other than that if it runs and drives what do you guys think? He said he was starting it and letting it run and he would take it around the block.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:52 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Everything looks pretty original with the expected were and tear. I'm wondering if it wasn't originally a Canadian car with kilometers on the speedo. As mentioned, start it and take it for a drive if you can. Also check for rust in the usual spots, the frame in front of the back wheels, rust arount the number 2 body mount, the windshield frame and the inner steel rockers.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:56 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

that car was not loved,expect many unforeseen issues as neglect has taken root there.my car looked similar before purchase but it had a strong engine transmission and the owner allowed my mechanic to put it on a lift and check the frame .asked for 8k got 7k. good luck as there are no better looking cars than c3's.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:01 AM
0331MARINE
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BB72
Everything looks pretty original with the expected were and tear. I'm wondering if it wasn't originally a Canadian car with kilometers on the speedo. As mentioned, start it and take it for a drive if you can. Also check for rust in the usual spots, the frame in front of the back wheels, rust arount the number 2 body mount, the windshield frame and the inner steel rockers.
I was thinking the same thing. I just havent messed with the C3's as much.

Originally Posted by billcarson
that car was not loved,expect many unforeseen issues as neglect has taken root there.my car looked similar before purchase but it had a strong engine transmission and the owner allowed my mechanic to put it on a lift and check the frame .asked for 8k got 7k. good luck as there are no better looking cars than c3's.
What do you guys think as far as price?
Old 01-30-2011, 12:25 AM
billcarson
Drifting

these are shots of my car on the po's driveway.so you be the judge by comparison.hard to tell from photos though.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:35 AM
0331MARINE
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

That helps out alot actually!!! The paint is my big thing. I can do all the motor/interior myself. I'm in the middle on doing a 71 RS Camaro right now and I thought I should get the next one lined up.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:39 AM
billcarson
Drifting

good luck and i hope you pick a good one.off to count sheep now.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:42 AM
Spocc
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

the guys are right-on ...check for rust...

then check for leaks from engine, tranny, rear-end, brakes, rad etc because she has been sitting for a spell...

the paint may come up nice with a good wax-on, wax-off , for DD anyway...
Pete
Old 01-30-2011, 07:55 AM
1rino56
Instructor

I have done alot of work on c-3 cars and I would forget anything after 1973. No value at all, even after pouring in thousands. Get a chrome bumper car and have some value when you are finished. This might be an ok track car if bought right. I would think $2-4k would be about right.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:12 AM
nutsy
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 1rino56
I have done alot of work on c-3 cars and I would forget anything after 1973. No value at all, even after pouring in thousands. Get a chrome bumper car and have some value when you are finished. This might be an ok track car if bought right. I would think $2-4k would be about right.
i agree. i would say 2k. these cars are nice when done but you will be upside down in no time. if you really want this year it will be MUCH cheaper to buy one that is done.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:37 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

low retail on an 81 is around 10K. low retail defines as This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is"

considering there looks like a lot of work to be done to the car. I would start at 5K and work my way down.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:52 AM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

Walk away... no run away. A money pit. Worth $2,500 now. Spend more up front to buy a better car.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:02 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

A good price on a car like that is around 2K. I wouldnt spend much more than 3K on it in the condition that its in. Did you get underneath the car and poke around underthere? Alot of rust can be hidden under all that fiberglass

check out this thread that I made. I hope it helps:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-corvette.html
Old 01-30-2011, 10:51 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

ok... first of all i just want to say this.... now this is JMHO here, I like the looks of the rubber bumper cars about 1000X more than the chrome cars. And if your going to keep it dont worry about that, get what you like to look at!

second, me thinks there is a lot more work here than you thinks.... that not a 75K mile car, thats a 175K+ mile car...

third, from the pictures, i would bet that is a repaint... the reflection, or gloss looks as if it is a repaint...

forth... ANY, ALL, EVERYONE of these cars are ~30-40 years old... so you will have to replace every single piece of rubber there is.. hoses....., engine, transmission, suspension mounts, ..... bushings, EVERYTHING that has rubber in it.

fifth, it will never ride like your C5 or be as reliable, (I own a C5 also) BUT, you can build it to SMOKE your C5.... My C5 does not have a cold chance in hell of keeping up with Baby.... but the C5 is stock, and Baby has 10's of thousands of dollars in upgrades in here...

sixth, LOOKS..... you will NEVER EVER NEVER get the looks and questions and thumbs up in your C5 that you get in the C3.... did i say NEVER

Brother... you have a lot of work on any C3 you get unless you buy one from someone that already pored there blood sweet and tears in her... but then it will cost you more like 15-30K$....

another nice side note, these cars(C3's) are now on the price incress, as the C5's are still on there way DOWN.... Strange to think that that old C3 will be worth more someday than your C5....

and yes, imho it is worth more than 2K$..... just be ready for a project... a long long project... but it can be a great experience, and in the end (if you make it) you will never want to let her go....

peace
Old 01-30-2011, 10:53 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
low retail on an 81 is around 10K. low retail defines as This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is"

considering there looks like a lot of work to be done to the car. I would start at 5K and work my way down.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 guy needs some input please!!!! Lots of pictures....

Old 01-30-2011, 11:14 AM
billcarson
Drifting

pauldana, very well put. glad baby is done with her vibration and my dolores has been helped by that thread.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:38 AM
0331MARINE
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks alot guys for all the input. It really helps alot. I'll let you guys know what happens
Old 01-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by BB72
...I'm wondering if it wasn't originally a Canadian car with kilometers on the speedo...
80-82 cars had kilometers on the speedo.

What's the seller asking?

Looks like an average 81 to me, essentially unmolested. My advice is not to compare prices of other model years when looking at this 81.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 01-30-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply: C5 guy needs some input please!!!! Lots of pictures....