C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How should i go about painting...?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:36 PM
annasvett
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should i go about painting...?

HI, Im working on a 74 corvette project and i put the engine in and got the interior looking good enough for now so its painting time. I spent the last 2 weeks repairing a huge whole in the finberglass with the west system 105 and it has been great (just waiting for the 407 filler to come to finish the body work). I have a few questions that I was hoping someone out there could help me with. Like what kinda glazing putty should i use for the body work that i can sand down smooth and feather in. And of course what paint system should I use. I love this car and would love to spend tons of money on the paint but being that i am a college student most of my money goes to school. I did happen so save about 1000 dollar from this summers job to put towards painting. I dont have a garage though to paint it in but i was planning on getting a car cannopy and making it as air tight as possible... I would love some help??????
Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 PM
GS977
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

use EVERCOAT 2part putty and you won't have a problem. it comes with a tube of hardner. it's in a green and white bottle. i would not use a glazing putty without a hardner. it will shrink!!!
i like to use DeBeers paint and clear but have never had a problem with other brands i used ppg, sherwin williams, sikkins,ici, i can't remember all the others i used. if you want to save some money you can get the basecoat in OMNI, it's made by PPG. and put a good clear over it.
you can easily spend @ $400.00 just for the clear, hardner and reducers.
what color are you going with? oh yea... we need pics
good luck!!!
Old 01-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Acro74
Instructor

If you are not a jobber, you will most likely pay more for these items. I would suggest a place like autobodytoolmart.com or something like that for fair prices on tape, filler, glaze putty etc. My shop buys from a local supplier, but the site mentioned above will get you close to local supplier costs on most items.

As for paint, IMHO stay away from the off or lessor known brands. I preffer PPG products, we also have used Standox, Glassurit and when we have to, DuPont. Best pricing I have seen online for non-shop places is TCP Global. I have never ordered from them, so not sure how they are.

As for clear, again stay with one from the company whos paint basecoat you deciede on. Another option would be SPI (Southern Polyurethane Inc.) they make a real nice clear that is easy to use and priced very well.

Do some research on your own as to paint and clear brands and then use what feels right for you.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:55 PM
annasvett
Cruising

so far i only have half the car sanded so it will probably be 2-3 weeks before i spay so plenty of time to do research.... I was looking on line and found http://www.paintforcars.com/ but just by looking at there prices i am a little worried about the quolity of there paint... I used to work for Sherwin Williams Auto and know a bit about painting but never done a complete before, is there anthing i should be warned about?
and i would love to post a pic here but i cant figure out how to..... it wont let me copy and paste and th insert pic button does not let me browse my pictures???
Old 01-31-2011, 10:13 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like Sherwin Williams Acrylic enamels with "wet look" catalyst. Choose a solid color so no clear is required, seal the car with their pre-reduced acrylic sealer and spray 4 medium wet coats if you have no isues like runs or dry spray, 5 coats if you have trouble. Wet sand, buff, polish and you have a durable, easy to apply finish which is lighter on the wallet than most.

Note that "wet look" catalysts contain isocyanates which are VERY toxic chemicals... use a NIOSH approved vapor and particulate mask at minimum when mixing and applying, I strongly recommend a fresh air positive pressure respirator. I left professional bodywork some years back partially because I developed a sensitivity to the chemicals in paint supplies... I wish I had been less stupid then.

Get notified of new replies

To How should i go about painting...?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How should i go about painting...?