Barn/Garage Find photos of 69 I just bought

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 05:25 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dbeall1968
Dad-gum Westminster hillbillies!

I don't recognize the home from the picture, but it looks like it is well off the beaten path. Do you recall what road? I am always curious as to what is sitting in old buildings and basements, and I may have driven by this one for thirty years!
I have not been to the location where the car came from. It is off Rt. 27 somewhere. That is all I know.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Sweet find and great car!

Will
Old 02-06-2011, 11:08 PM
GPGG70
Drifting

Congratulations!!
Old 02-07-2011, 12:31 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi lb,
VERY nice find.
You mentioned side-exhaust. Do you think it's an original side exhaust car? If so, I think that's almost as good as having the original engine!!
Good Luck with it!
Regards,
Alan

PS: What area did it come from?
Alan, I am pretty sure I found the factory hand written code for side exhaust up under the rear window storage tray. Pictures coming later today.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:34 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c69vete
A quick look under the rear of the car, where the standard under car exhaust would exit will generally reveal if it was a true sidepipe car. There should be a straight line there and no bodywork in the lower corner. Most people making the changeover just fill the hole. Actual pipe cars had a different lower fender as pictured below.

Nice find by the way.
I am certain this car is as you describe. I also think I found the factory hand written code for side exhaust up under the rear window storage tray. Pictures of both areas coming later today.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:51 PM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

N-14 will be the option code for side pipes. I found it written in paint stick under the rear deck, above the gas tank. Another desirable option for your car as there were only 4400+ pipe cars out of 37000+ in 69.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...ring-assy.html

Last edited by c69vete; 02-07-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:02 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

N-14 will be the option code for side pipes. I found it written in paint stick under the rear deck, above the gas tank. Another desirable option for your car as there were only 4400+ pipe cars out of 37000+ in 69.
I found three numbers/codes written in paint stick as you say. I lowered the rear window tray, and they are there written on the fiberglass. The first is the number 255, which I am certain is the job number which would have been hand written on the build sheet. This number also appears on the baulkhead just in front of the gas tank. The second code is just the letters AC, and this is an A/C car. The third code is N14, which would be the side exhaust code. Pictures coming later.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:05 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

I took a look at your earlier thread and I also have some additional writting in the area where you show the date. I will try and snap a picture of it also.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:10 PM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

awesome find congrats. !!!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:42 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

Here are the pictures of the rear filler panel and the N-14 side exhaust code I found today. The rear filler panel/fender area looks just like the photo c69vete posted. So, this confirms that this car came from the factory with the N-14 side mount exhaust system.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-07-2011, 06:46 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

As requested, here are a few pictures of the interior.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-07-2011, 08:17 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

As requested, here is a picture of the empty engine bay, and one showing the single fuel supply line.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-08-2011, 06:47 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Key word is "ex-big block", you have to remember it will never be original or matching again. Value about 4-5K if that, big money pit for someone who THINKS they have a rare car...................
Old 02-08-2011, 07:51 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteload
Key word is "ex-big block", you have to remember it will never be original or matching again. Value about 4-5K if that, big money pit for someone who THINKS they have a rare car...................
It is a rare car ... I have never seen the logic behind numbers matching, as long as it is a engine and trans of the same vintage and built to what it originally would have been thats all that counts .... the only matching numbers I ever worry about is that the VIN matches the title.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:11 AM
stingr4y
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it that the garage door fell apart trying to get it out.

It may certainly matter to the buyer what it originally came with. That is all that matters when selling.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 AM
longbros
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jeffp1167
It is a rare car ... I have never seen the logic behind numbers matching, as long as it is a engine and trans of the same vintage and built to what it originally would have been thats all that counts .... the only matching numbers I ever worry about is that the VIN matches the title.
This is my opinion also. True, the original engine is gone, so it will never have the original numbers matching engine again, but the car is so well optioned, and in such good solid condition, I would like to see it restored back to as close as original as possible. If not a closely dated 427, then at least a big block that looks pretty correct. Fortunately, for this car, the VIN is still present on the door sticker, windshield pillar, p-o-p, and title.

I got quite a few parts with the car, including the A/C compressor and lines, cooling fan, starter, original numbers matching 4spd, wiper door vacuum canister, distributor shielding, tri-power air cleaner, etc.

By the way, I am leaning towards passing this car onto someone else, so if you know of anyone interested, drop me an email or PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 PM
z10kl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteload
If you believe this I'll take it.

Get notified of new replies

To Barn/Garage Find photos of 69 I just bought

Old 02-08-2011, 10:51 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Along with VIN number matching title another nice matching number would be license plate numbers .. that is always a plus!

Man you have what appears to be a decent unbutchered classic. Just detail it as nice as possible, drop a nice tri-power 427 in it and enjoy it or re-sale no matter what it will still be a tripower 427. I would venture to say most people just care that it looks original to nit pickers who need every last number to match.

Those number matching things to me aint worth any more. It is how well the car looks as to how much I would pay for it. Correct era parts are what gives it value then numbers matching marginally increases it's value. Well for me at least

So lift the body, spruce the frame and suspension up, detail under hood stuff, and put a motor in, paint it and new interior and doubt anyone will care it's numbers don't match.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:08 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

Along with VIN number matching title another nice matching number would be license plate numbers .. that is always a plus!

Man you have what appears to be a decent unbutchered classic. Just detail it as nice as possible, drop a nice tri-power 427 in it and enjoy it or re-sale no matter what it will still be a tripower 427. I would venture to say most people just care that it looks original to nit pickers who need every last number to match.

Those number matching things to me aint worth any more. It is how well the car looks as to how much I would pay for it. Correct era parts are what gives it value then numbers matching marginally increases it's value. Well for me at least

So lift the body, spruce the frame and suspension up, detail under hood stuff, and put a motor in, paint it and new interior and doubt anyone will care it's numbers don't match.
I agree with all you say. I do have two old registration cards from 1977-1979, showing the second owner, correct title number, and the registration cards match the tags from 1979 that are still on the car!
Old 02-09-2011, 02:39 AM
richiev88
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Barn/Garage Find photos of 69 I just bought