Sponsored by:

How to wire Power Antenna in 1972?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 02:12 AM
avner
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default How to wire Power Antenna in 1972?

Hello everyone
I'm installing power antenna in my 72 and I want to operate it with the original radio.
One wire is connecting to direct +12V and the second wire I want to connect to +12V that I will get after I turn the radio on.
The radio is AM/FM with amplifier.
I look inside the radio and the turn on switch look very complicate and everything is tight, so I'm sure that +12V go to the amplifier so I want to take from that harness the voltage but I don't know from which wire.
Maybe someone has the 1972 wiring diagram for the radio + amplifier so I can figure it out from where I can get +12V after I turn on the radio.
The simple solution is to take the second +12V after the ignition switch but then the antenna will go up & down when you start & shut off the car with no connection to the radio.

Thanks
Avner
Old 02-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If You get no response to the question. You can make up a test light using a replacement bulb and socket, connect to wires however long you want them. Then solder the ends to pins. Now You have a test light that you can pierce the insulator without damage and run other to ground. Now You can test wires while playing with radio to see which one will work. It doesnt hurt wiring because it is such a small tip. I have used this method for years.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:57 PM
avner
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the advice, I do it with a needle that I stuck through the isolator of the wire, but now I don't have power/battery in the car because I'm wiring up all the car with new harnesses and didn't finish it yet.
I thought maybe someone connect power antenna to the 72 radio or have the radio wiring diagram.
Thanks
Avner
Old 02-24-2011, 06:16 PM
itsabigblock
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avner
Hello everyone
I'm installing power antenna in my 72 and I want to operate it with the original radio.
One wire is connecting to direct +12V and the second wire I want to connect to +12V that I will get after I turn the radio on.
The radio is AM/FM with amplifier.
I look inside the radio and the turn on switch look very complicate and everything is tight, so I'm sure that +12V go to the amplifier so I want to take from that harness the voltage but I don't know from which wire.
Maybe someone has the 1972 wiring diagram for the radio + amplifier so I can figure it out from where I can get +12V after I turn on the radio.
The simple solution is to take the second +12V after the ignition switch but then the antenna will go up & down when you start & shut off the car with no connection to the radio.

Thanks
Avner
Did you mount the power antenna yet,if so can you take some pics,I bought a p.antenna I hav know idea how to mount the thing
Old 02-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The antenna is close to the battery. Why not hook up to an extension off the battery?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:23 AM
avner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Clubby99
The antenna is close to the battery. Why not hook up to an extension off the battery?
The Power Antenna gets three wires:
1. Direct +12V from Battery.
2. +12V, when you turn the radio on.
3. Ground.
The antenna will go up when you turn the radio on, and go down when you turn the radio off.

Originally Posted by itsabigblock
Did you mount the power antenna yet,if so can you take some pics,I bought a p.antenna I hav know idea how to mount the thing

Avner

Get notified of new replies

To How to wire Power Antenna in 1972?

Quick Reply: How to wire Power Antenna in 1972?