Sponsored by:

Rebuilding trailing arms on my 1969, need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:07 AM
Corvette JABO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rebuilding trailing arms on my 1969, need a little help

Last summer I sheared a rear spindle in my passenger side trailing arm. I received all the replacement parts yesterday and was going to drop everything off at a local mechanic to assemble everything for me tonight after work. I purchased parts to do both sides right away (spindles, inner/outer bearings, races, spacers, shims, nuts). Here is where I need your help. I disassembled the trailing arms, the inner bearing slide on and off the old spindle real easy. I can not get the new bearings to slide on the new spindles, the new / old bearings have the same part number. I know that the outer bearings have to be pressed on/off. Should the inner bearings slide on/off the spindle just as easy as the old ones or should they have to be pressed on like the outer bearings? Not sure if I should call the place where I purchased them from or take some emery cloth to that side of the spindle (inner)?
Jabo
Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

All the bearings for the rear are press fit from the factory. It sounds like someone sanded down the old spindles to make them slip fit. Either way works.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Corvette JABO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigforty
All the bearings for the rear are press fit from the factory. It sounds like someone sanded down the old spindles to make them slip fit. Either way works.
Thank you!
I was a little worried about dropping them off and having the mechanic complain that there was an issue with the spindle.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigforty
Which might be why the old ones failed. The more I read on this topic the more I will stay with the factory tight fit.

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilding trailing arms on my 1969, need a little help

Quick Reply: Rebuilding trailing arms on my 1969, need a little help