Sponsored by:

fiero seat install

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:53 AM
richard emmanuel
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default fiero seat install

Well decided to take the fiero seat plunge. After years of uncomfortable cruising. I found a nice set of 86 seats, pontiac fiero and got them for 50.00 at pull apart. My question is after reading several old post and viewing pictures I want to know has anyone left the fiero brackets- seat tracks in place/tact and made a bracket to weld or bolt to those tracks and match up with the bolt pattern in the floor board. I saw where several members had used the tracks off their c3 seats and made a bracket plate to bolt to the fiero seats. I guess I am doing the same thing except in a reverse method because the fiero tracks are in excellent shape and plus the seats in my c3 are in excellent shape also except when i sellthem i would like to sell them with the tracks so who ever purchases them all they have to do is bolt them in. Has anyone seen the brackets measured out like the way I am going to do them. Mine is a 77 vet by the way with the hurst lightning rods so the fiero seat will compliment the shifters.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:24 AM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

I too, have a set of Fiero seats not installed yet. Seems like this will be a great thread to get some questions answered.....
Old 03-22-2011, 08:51 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Old 03-22-2011, 09:25 AM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

When I installed my Fiero seats, I too wanted to keep the originals all together. I modified the Fiero tracks themselves to mate up with the original floor pan holes.
The way I did that involves some welding,so if you do not have the equiptment, it may not be the way to go for you.
First thing I did after removing the original seats was to take a piece of 1/8th thick aluminum and cut it to fit over the hole pattern in the floor pan. Then transfer the holes to the sheet.
Next was to remove the rivits holding the mounting pads to the rails on the Fiero tracks. IIRC, the rear two brackets will be switched from one side to the other to make them wide enough to fit the floor. The front two were then splayed out to meet the pattern as well.
The 4 mounting pads were then bolted to the aluminum sheet. I cut a 3 in. hole under each pad in the aluminum sheet so I could get my mig gun nozzle in to tack the pads.
Turn the seat over and cover as much as possible with wet rags. Position the plate over the rails (bolted to the seat) and then tack them in place as solid as you can you can then remove the alum. and complete the welding on the brackets.
Sorry I do not have any pics of the modifications. I may still have the aluminum plate for welding I could photograph when I get home from work.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:18 PM
richard emmanuel
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default been thinking

I was pondering a little and I think I may have the solution. If you bolt a metal plate, strip about 16 inches long to the bottom of the fiero track where the bolt openings are that bolt to the floor of the fiero you are halfway home. Take the c3 seat turned upside down and put the fiero seat\track on top and you should have the exact mate and match point where to drill the holes on your metal plate that will match up to the existing holes on your plate that is attached to the fiero seat. Once those holes are drilled out you should be able to sit the seats in car and using same bolts and put them back in car. I think I will also weld the brackets to the fiero track for strength. Once I get car back from shop I will try this idea and post pics. rICHARD
Old 03-24-2011, 08:58 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by richard emmanuel
I was pondering a little and I think I may have the solution. If you bolt a metal plate, strip about 16 inches long to the bottom of the fiero track where the bolt openings are that bolt to the floor of the fiero you are halfway home. Take the c3 seat turned upside down and put the fiero seat\track on top and you should have the exact mate and match point where to drill the holes on your metal plate that will match up to the existing holes on your plate that is attached to the fiero seat. Once those holes are drilled out you should be able to sit the seats in car and using same bolts and put them back in car. I think I will also weld the brackets to the fiero track for strength. Once I get car back from shop I will try this idea and post pics. rICHARD
I think you have the right idea but I think a safer way would be to take the vette seat and set it onto a piece of cardboard. Then trace the mountung holes onto the cardboard and cut them out. Place the top of your cardboard cutout against the bottom of your fabricated plate and transfer the hole locations. Just a thought because if the holes are not in a perfect rectangular pattern you could end up with a mirror image of the holes you need.

Get notified of new replies

To fiero seat install

Quick Reply: fiero seat install