Sponsored by:

My "New" 1982 Corvette Restoration Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:47 AM
Kipring
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chstitans42
Anyway, after a new battery, fuel filter and pump, it seems like the engine is still not getting any gas. It cranks just fine, just wont fire. When we spray soem carb cleaner down the throttle bodies it fires right up. Tomorrow im going to try to figure out whats preventing it from getting gas. Clogged injectors?
When I found my 'girl' on the side of the road and had her towed to her new residence, she wasn't running either (not that big a surprise considering she had been sitting for almost 8 years).

Replaced the fuel filter, pump, new throttle position sensor, rebuilt the throttle bodies, and thoroughly soaked the injectors in carb cleaner. Fired right back to life like it was 1982 well maybe more like 1992, but hey was a vast improvement from where she started.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Ben, wow, what have you gotten yourself into now? What are your plans, I heard you say it might make someone a nice car or there about. Do you plan on restoring and selling or is this a replacement for the Green Machine? Do you still have yer other 2 or 3 part cars also? Baffles me that people neglect these cars so bad that the inside looks like it was filled with water and used as a horse trough. Its a damn shame. Makes you wonder if there is an 05 Z06 somewhere, that will look like that in the year 2035. Maybe I guess.
I got a running CFI engine on a stand if you want to start buying parts from me
Good luck with the project.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:30 AM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I guess most of you guys dont know what a real rough C3 corvette is. Being in the parts business, you come across alot of crap. This car is in amazing shape for being all original

Anyway, after a new battery, fuel filter and pump, it seems like the engine is still not getting any gas. It cranks just fine, just wont fire. When we spray soem carb cleaner down the throttle bodies it fires right up. Tomorrow im going to try to figure out whats preventing it from getting gas. Clogged injectors?

Also with the new battery, I was able to install all of the missing and burnt out bulbs on the inside and outside of the car. I also added the missing dome light cover. All these parts I got free from my parts cars.
Remember that the 82 model has its fuel pump in the tank, as opposed to the 81 and older models are on the engine block. It may be as simple as a burned fuse for the fuel pump?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:23 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess most of you guys dont know what a real rough C3 corvette is. Being in the parts business, you come across alot of crap. This car is in amazing shape for being all original

Also with the new battery, I was able to install all of the missing and burnt out bulbs on the inside and outside of the car. I also added the missing dome light cover. All these parts I got free from my parts cars.
You changed the fuel pump already? Check the two 5 amp fuses for the injectors. When you turn the key to on do you hear a brief buzz coming from the fuel pump in the tank? You should also hear a brief buzz coming from the injectors as soon as you turn the key to on. Check the two 5 amp fuses for the injectors.Check the F.P fuse (fuel pump)Check all the fuses while you are at it.

Jim
Old 05-10-2011, 10:26 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebelrob
Hey Ben, wow, what have you gotten yourself into now? What are your plans, I heard you say it might make someone a nice car or there about. Do you plan on restoring and selling or is this a replacement for the Green Machine? Do you still have yer other 2 or 3 part cars also? Baffles me that people neglect these cars so bad that the inside looks like it was filled with water and used as a horse trough. Its a damn shame. Makes you wonder if there is an 05 Z06 somewhere, that will look like that in the year 2035. Maybe I guess.
I got a running CFI engine on a stand if you want to start buying parts from me
Good luck with the project.
Well, I got it cheap enough tha I could turn around and sell it for a profit I think. but then again, everyguy wants two Corvettes to drive right?? I havent decided yet

Originally Posted by mikejpss
Remember that the 82 model has its fuel pump in the tank, as opposed to the 81 and older models are on the engine block. It may be as simple as a burned fuse for the fuel pump?
Yeah we replaced the fuel pump already. Im going to go through the fuses today I believe

Originally Posted by Kipring
When I found my 'girl' on the side of the road and had her towed to her new residence, she wasn't running either (not that big a surprise considering she had been sitting for almost 8 years).

Replaced the fuel filter, pump, new throttle position sensor, rebuilt the throttle bodies, and thoroughly soaked the injectors in carb cleaner. Fired right back to life like it was 1982 well maybe more like 1992, but hey was a vast improvement from where she started.
Thats what I am hoping to do here in a few days. I want to at least drive her around the block
Old 05-10-2011, 10:27 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jdp6000
You changed the fuel pump already? Check the two 5 amp fuses for the injectors. When you turn the key to on do you hear a brief buzz coming from the fuel pump in the tank? You should also hear a brief buzz coming from the injectors as soon as you turn the key to on. Check the two 5 amp fuses for the injectors.Check the F.P fuse (fuel pump)Check all the fuses while you are at it.

Jim
We turned the key and listened for the buzz and didnt hear anything. thats what lead us to change it out. Are all these fuses that you are talking about all in the fuse block under the dash? Or are some in other places? I saw a few in the rear compartment area as well...
Old 05-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,426 Likes on 774 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I think the injector fuses are under the dash. I think they are marked INJ 1 and INJ 2. I don't have the 82 with me today so I can't go out and check for you.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:59 PM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Well, I got it cheap enough tha I could turn around and sell it for a profit I think. but then again, everyguy wants two Corvettes to drive right?? I havent decided yet

k
Got my 2 and looking at number 3 as we speak. with any luck she'll be home with me by Sunday evening. stay tuned....
Old 05-10-2011, 04:17 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

All three are in the under dash panel. Up near the top of it. There should be one in the battery compartment for the ECM.

Also note that if both plugs are not connected to the upper part of the distributor it will kick over but not start.

Jim
Old 05-10-2011, 08:30 PM
texaswilkins
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have more than two vettes in your driveway. Don't forget your Brothers car and that pile of rust in your garage.

Seems like the four wire power connector for the fuel tank hangs off the back side of the tank. Two of those wires are for the pump. Tan/White is power wire for the pump. Check the fuel pump relay too. IIRC the red wire in the diagnostic connector (under the ashtray) is from the fuel pump relay. Did you get a wiring diagram yet? I have that big poster and books here if you need them. One night this weekend I have the computer to check your electronics too.

Bill
Old 05-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Texas Stinger
Burning Brakes

I wish there were more classic Vettes for sale around here especially good deals. How much did you pay? It seems like there aren't as many good deals out there as there were just a couple years ago.

Has anyone ever done an original repaint on a two tone C3?
Old 05-17-2011, 03:09 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Quick update. i "restored" the center guage bezel. Replaced the bezel, fixed burnt out bulbs, Cleaned and painted a little. here are the before and after pics:

Last edited by chstitans42; 08-21-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:19 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

So i got the door panels off the car, and with a little bit of scrubbing bubbles, a toothbrush, rag and alot of free time I was able to clean those parts up to decent looking status. I am very happy with the result and will NOT be buying new door panels for the car. Im hoping that the rest of the interior that survived will clean up just as nice.

BEFORE

AFTER

Last edited by chstitans42; 08-21-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Hardway
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Great job on the door panels! Just goes to show what a lot of elbow grease and time will get you. Keep up the good work and keep us posted with more pics!

Last edited by Hardway; 06-01-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:06 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Looking Good so far . Lets see what you got ....
Old 05-31-2011, 07:45 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

So we got the car running under its own power. It turned out that all that was needed was a new computer, seeing the old one woulnt allow power to get to the fuel pump. A special thanks to RebelRob who sold me the good computer. The next step will be brakes and getting the car ready for inspection
Old 05-31-2011, 09:29 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Glad you got her running. I sent you a PM.

Get notified of new replies

To My "New" 1982 Corvette Restoration Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:07 AM
bigwillie82vette
Intermediate

good luck if u need help lemme know or us know =D
Old 06-21-2011, 07:12 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Little update. Spent a few hours today replacing the rear compartment shade. As you can see in the pics the old one had seen better days. I also found a new box of "smokes" that had been put underneath it. Im assuming it is pretty old seeing the price tag was $1.36.

Anyways I also partially installed the rear carpet today. I am waiting on a new pass floor pan and interior dye from wilcox to be able to refinish the interior resto.

I hope to be picking up new calipers, pads, and brake lines tomorrow from Mike Dyer, and then redoing the brakes Saturday. Then we can put on the new tires and take it out for a drive!

Last edited by chstitans42; 08-21-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Looking good Ben. I'm glad the parts worked out for you. I just finished the carpet on mine and will be starting on the brakes (SS lines, rotors) this week. It never ends.

Quick Reply: My "New" 1982 Corvette Restoration Thread