Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pictures needed of installed '71 wiper arms

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 AM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default pictures needed of installed '71 wiper arms (and from 75-82)

I've looked at the catalog versions of the arms but I can't tell whether or not mine look different.

My arms don't have the plastic clips for the washer hose but rather one that seems like heat shrink tubing. Also mine are rubber right up to the sprayer, not a hard line attached to the arm like the catalogs show. When the wiper arms are down, they don't seem to be level with the wiper stop bracket.

Since Bubba has done much work on this car and the wipers were disconnected when I bought it, I have a worry in my head that the arms are incorrect.

I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

So I'm asking for any up close pictures or the wiper arms installed and their location relating to the stop bracket.

Last edited by StingrayLust; 07-09-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:14 AM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Some pictures of my setup:

Old 07-08-2011, 01:17 AM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Based on this, I'm wondering if I have the 75-82 arms.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi sl,
These are the wiper arms, washer tubes, and holders/blades on my 71. They're the original parts.
Hope the pics help.
Regards, Alan

Rigt side

Left Side

Old 07-08-2011, 08:36 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Great pictures Allan....you're getting pretty good with that camera.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:10 AM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Thanks Alan, once again you've been a tremendous help with the pictures. I want to say a personal thanks as I know you took the time out of your day to get those pictures.

So it's quite official I have the wrong arms. I'm still curious if the 74L-82 arms looks like mine or if they're somethine completely different.

I'd also love to see exactly how the arms sit when they're parked on the stop. I've read somewhere else that said they will be parallel to the park stop, but I don't see any way that would be possible (at least with mine) if mine are from a 74L-82 vette.

The PO must have loved putting different year stuff on this car. I had checked my LH outside mirror and it's from a 75 (7-DMI-5 dated). I don't mind the wider style, but it's not sitting on there tight so I might just get a correct used one. The bolt through the bracket isn't snug, and while I could just buy that part I may take it back to the correct stock mirror.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Alan 71
...They're the original parts...
That's fudging a bit, Alan. Yours are original - true - BUT restored to perfection. Probably better than when they left St. Louis.

Can I get an "Amen" from the congregation?

Old 07-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
That's fudging a bit, Alan. Yours are original - true - BUT restored to perfection. Probably better than when they left St. Louis.

Amen!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by StingrayLust
Thanks Alan, once again you've been a tremendous help with the pictures. I want to say a personal thanks as I know you took the time out of your day to get those pictures.

So it's quite official I have the wrong arms. I'm still curious if the 74L-82 arms looks like mine or if they're somethine completely different................

The PO must have loved putting different year stuff on this car. I had checked my LH outside mirror and it's from a 75 (7-DMI-5 dated). I don't mind the wider style, but it's not sitting on there tight so I might just get a correct used one. The bolt through the bracket isn't snug, and while I could just buy that part I may take it back to the correct stock mirror.
Those are service replacement arms, sold by GM since the late 70's on up till today(?) for all year C3 Corvettes. The original style arms are not being reproduced and good used ones are very pricey.

Same deal with your mirror, the wider '76 and up style became the service replacements for 68-75 cars. The rocking issue might be to do with the mirror base being too thick and not a problem with the mirror itself.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi all,
SL, I'd already taken those pictures a while back for another post, so it was nice to be able to use them for your question too! But, thanks for your kind words!
MW, While MANY of the parts on the car are way over restored I'd think the arms, tubes, blades, and inserts are pretty much typical for the day of the dealer to customer delivery.
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-09-2011, 02:41 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Those are service replacement arms, sold by GM since the late 70's on up till today(?) for all year C3 Corvettes. The original style arms are not being reproduced and good used ones are very pricey.

Same deal with your mirror, the wider '76 and up style became the service replacements for 68-75 cars. The rocking issue might be to do with the mirror base being too thick and not a problem with the mirror itself.
I can live with service replacement wipers if the fit is exactly the same as originals. I'm still hoping for a picture of someone's wipers in the parked position like my pic:

As for the mirror, I was guessing that the little bolt/screw that goes through the base that hold the mirror on, should fit snug into the hole in the base. My bolt/screw has some wiggle room when it's put into the hole, I'm guessing that's the reason for my mirror wiggle.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi sl,
I can't get a picture of the arms/blades in the parked position because of the wiper door.
In the park position the driver's side blade lays flush and even against the stop bracket. The upper end of the passenger's side blade touches /rests against the lower end of the driver's side blade; but, no other part of the passenger's side arm or blade touches anything.
Does that help you at all?
Regards,
Alan

I JUST looked at your picture again. THE ARMS are parked in the OPPOSITE position than those on my 71.

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-09-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:11 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I also noticed that the position seems inversed. Since you have the later type i figured I could as well post mine. The picture was taken before the adjustment and when running they went over the polished trim on the side. Now after adjustment, the driver's side blade almost lays horizontal and the pass side's blade tip is pointing more downwards. The second pic is how the washer tubes are connected, although none of the parts except the mechanism are original parts
Nick

Old 09-02-2011, 08:38 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

I can live with service replacement wipers if the fit is exactly the same as originals. I'm still hoping for a picture of someone's wipers in the parked position like my pic:

As for the mirror, I was guessing that the little bolt/screw that goes through the base that hold the mirror on, should fit snug into the hole in the base. My bolt/screw has some wiggle room when it's put into the hole, I'm guessing that's the reason for my mirror wiggle.
This looks like the only way you'll get the wipers to sit low enough to allow the wiper door to close. I'm just now ruunning into the same problem. Car has been apart for 20 years. I don't recall whether I had the new style arms on the car before I took it apart. It appears to be impossible to adjust the arms as the AIM shows unless the original style arms are installed.

Anyone else run into this? A pair of replacements, repops, runs about $165.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen brother. Does the word perfect describe it?
Old 09-16-2011, 04:42 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Old thread, no sure whether this is still an issue. FWIW I found a posting on the NCRS forum, similar problem. The arms may be part of the problem but it appears the bigger issue is the blade holder. The holders in the photo cause the arm to sit up high, further from the glass, creating a potential clearance problem. Photos of original holders show a low profile design.

I ordered 'correct' replacement arms, quality TBD. Suspect I'll need blade holders which are closer to original design to get everything working.

Last edited by BBCorv70; 09-16-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:24 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Amen! I believe that goes for that whole beautiful 71 of Alans!!!

Terry

Get notified of new replies

To pictures needed of installed '71 wiper arms

Old 02-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Sxrxrnr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Been working on wipers on my 71 the past couple of days. Installed a new vacuum acuator as door was not open and closing properly. Also wipers would at time work and other times not. Also park problem where door would not fully close as was hitting passenger side blade(I suspect this is because I recently installed after market,,,but claimed correct according to Trico,,,blades). They are a bit higher than original.

Wipers not working regularly was because of proper grounding of, or lack of, the gauge panel to which the switch is mounted. I recently had the dash out and apparently a grounding wire under the dash is not connected properly.

What prompted me to remove the whole wiper door was that one of the 4 (shoulder bolts) broken off in the door. Tried to drill the broken piece out, was unable to(the broken piece just would not budge even drilling a hole completely thru it), so had to do a Bubba fix and drill the hole larger to 1/4 inch and tap for a 1/4 inch bolt. A PITA. But the fact that it was broken was causing a binding when the door closed. Am about to put it all back together and hoping that all will be well.

Also noted that the passenger side washer line was just lying in the wiper well. Have not figured how to repair or quite sure even how it mounts. May have to buy a new one,,,,,,likely expensive.

Alan's close up shots are quite helpful,,,,mine as are his are original. I never use the wipers or washers, just want to clean things up a bit.

I had posted a thread sometime back on suggestions for proper wiper arm and blade suggestions, got no responses so had just gone and purchased the Trico blades,,,,and now note that the arms with attached washer lines are likely only going to be OEM stuff.

Now off back to outside(70 degrees here today) to put things back together,,,,not looking forward to getting the 4 bolts started in place to get the wiper door mounted.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:10 PM
wabco40
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts

I've looked at the catalog versions of the arms but I can't tell whether or not mine look different.

My arms don't have the plastic clips for the washer hose but rather one that seems like heat shrink tubing. Also mine are rubber right up to the sprayer, not a hard line attached to the arm like the catalogs show. When the wiper arms are down, they don't seem to be level with the wiper stop bracket.

Since Bubba has done much work on this car and the wipers were disconnected when I bought it, I have a worry in my head that the arms are incorrect.

I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

So I'm asking for any up close pictures or the wiper arms installed and their location relating to the stop bracket.
I also had a problem with later model/replacement wiper arms fitting my 71.

The blades would not park low enough down the windshield for the door to close completely.

The problem is the later/replacement arms have a more acute bend at the end where the blade attaches. This causes the blades to park on an angle instead of being parallel.

The pictures below show the original compared to the later model or replacement arms being sold by the venders.

The first picture show my original arm (silver) compared to the replacement arm. The bend in the replacement arm is too acute causing the blades to hit and not allow the right blade to park low enough.

The second picture shows the original (top) and replacement (bottom).

The last picture shows my original arms installed and in the parked position. This allows the wiper door to fully close.

Hope this helps.
Brad
Attached Images    

Last edited by wabco40; 02-22-2013 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Add more info
The following users liked this post:
btwick (04-22-2022)
Old 02-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Brad,
Nice pictures of some very nice looking work!
Regards,
Alan

Quick Reply: pictures needed of installed '71 wiper arms