Sponsored by:

Bleeding Brakes with Power Bleeder

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 10:20 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tonak
My experience with the motive pressure bleeder was similar to the op's and it went back in a box on a shelf immediately. I did use a clamp and 2x4 with lousy results, which leaves me wondering why the manufacturer doesn't correct the adaptor issues themselves. Anyway, is the NAPA adaptor a better way to go ?
That's scary when they start spraying dot 3 everywhere. I'm sure there are many others this has happened to (probably to embarrassed to admit it)and if they had factory paint they had damage.
I use less than 8 lbs pressure , probably closer to 5. I basically use the bleeder as an endless supply of fluid,then I hand pump the master cylinder when I want pressure. This keeps the high pressure IN the system where it belongs.

The NAPA adapters are an option but I think the Motive adapters are fine when you use a clamp and reduce the pressure.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Hardway
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I had one of the Motive bleeders and have experienced the same results as the OP and others. I ditched the chain and hook clamp and used C-clamps as well. Looks the air powered systems are a better way to go. Has anyone used any of the two below? This appears to be the kind I see shops using.

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...282465013&An=0

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brake...item5199d54269

Last edited by Hardway; 07-14-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:48 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Those are vacuum bleeders,not a good choice IMO on vette brakes.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:01 PM
tonak
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I might try the motive again, but I did place speed bleeders on the brakes and personally I think they are the cat's meow!
Old 07-14-2011, 01:12 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by rugerm44
It's ok just don't put dot 5 in it and pump it up.I just use for an air source to bleed by one person.Seems like it agitates the dot 5 fluid and causes air bubbles to form.
I found a shorter pump for mine so I can put 48oz in without the fluid touching the pump and aerating it.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Hardway
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
Those are vacuum bleeders,not a good choice IMO on vette brakes.
Can you tell me why this is Roger? I know our cars have 4 piston brakes but I figured using a quality bleeder of any type would be good.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:41 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hardway
Can you tell me why this is Roger? I know our cars have 4 piston brakes but I figured using a quality bleeder of any type would be good.
If the calipers have the factory type seals (not o-ring)the vacuum types will suck air past the seals into the caliper. The factory seals are great holding pressure from within but they just lay down and allow air to pass when there's a vacuum inside.

Quick Reply: Bleeding Brakes with Power Bleeder