Sponsored by:

1981 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 04:28 AM
Ghoh
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 Vette

Buying a 1981 vette, Mint inside and out for $8000.00 One flaw has minor leak oil or trans. Not sure which one. Should I be concerned?
Not sure where it's coming from.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:48 AM
stingr4y
Racer

Based on such limited info, sounds like a fair price. BUT...

Mint? That's a pretty high standard in my book.

Is this an online car? Don't trust anything without checking it out personally.

In my opinion, there is a considerable value difference between an oil or tranny leak, and many opinions on what "minor" really is.

Are you a car tinkerer? I'll bet any 81 will keep you busy on weekends, but it's a fun journey if you have the inclination and time.

I bet with more information, and pics, you'll get more responses.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:54 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

i'm going to bet its a power steering leak
Old 08-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Hardway
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Is the car a 4spd or automatic? Colors inside and out? Car run good? Is the car 100% stock? If not what has been changed. If the car is a popular color combo, runs good, completely stock or very close, and has cold AC then $8K is probably fair. However without pictures or more information its hard to tell.

To compare, I paid $8200 out the door for my '81 in Sept. 2010. It is dark grey metallic with black interior, glass t-tops, originally a 4spd car, previous owner added a T-5 5spd, Edelbrock EFI, and new brakes. On the downside the dash pad was cracked, the AC did not blow cold, and the paint has a few issues here and there.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Ghoh
7th Gear

Thanks for the responses everyone. Here's the deal. It ran great. The exterior is burgandy the interior is silver grey. Not a crack rip or stain. Automatic and air runs cold. He says its all stock. It looks like but I'm not a expert. The paint is real good except for fading on the spoiler. I looked but cannot tell where the leak is from. I would have to jack the car up for a better look. Thanks again for your help.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:34 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

bring a jack with you. when I went Corvette shopping I brought one and crawled under each one and checked the front end, frame, engine etc. I found 2 that needed complete front end overhauls and weren't even safe to drive.

EVERY one I looked at had a power steering leak, even the one I eventually bought

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 Vette

Quick Reply: 1981 Vette