Sponsored by:

lets see your custom interior.. I need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:06 PM
glarior
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lets see your custom interior.. I need ideas

I am going to mod my interior on a 80' vette. I want a custom speaker box (fiberglass in the wheel wells), cup holder in the center console and custom dash to house a 10" android tablet for music (all gagues have been moved from the center dash).

Please post your pics of what you have done. More pics, the better an idea the shop can get.

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Mewn
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi,
Here are a few pics, I have lots more here:
My Garage
or you can see a movie here:
Youtube Movie

I recently installed a Keisler TKO 600 Conversion and had to make a new console. I am saving room for the AC controls at the front. I wanted to make a billet cup holder and fit it in there somewhere, but I will wait to see the dimensions of the AC controller.

Below is a pile of goodies I have been collecting for a few months now. I am about to pull out my windshield *Again* and cut into my dash and install a Ipad2 for a stereo. I should have it done in a week or so (famous last words) Just waiting on a few more parts

As always, a work in progress!
Hope this helps, good luck!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:22 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

It'll be interesting to see how you incorporate the iPad2 into your dash.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:01 PM
glarior
Racer

Looks good! I like your seats and the rounded part of the dash. Where did the center vents go for the A/C?

For the speakers I am thinking of custom fiberglass box in the wheel wells. That way I can put that shade cover over it all and no one can see the good stuff.

The seats are from a C5?

Once again looks good.

Oh as for the ipad2.... I am an android/PC person. Bought an Ipad2 but love my acer! No flame war lol I did see a video on mp3car.com that had an awesome drop down install of ipad2 in a porsche SUV... really cool but it was 100% show car.

Last edited by glarior; 08-11-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:19 PM
BLACK8TVETTE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that a custom designed dash or is out of something else? Looks good.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:21 PM
glarior
Racer

here is that link!
Old 08-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Mewn
Pro

I saved room for two center facing 2" by 5" billet vents on either side of the stereo unit for the AC which I have not made yet. The seats are 2004 Vette sport seats, both power, which I cut out my floors and dropped them down so they fit even and both sides have working power.
Floor pans
I like the Ipad2, im sure something else better will be coming out every year. One nice thing is the Istreamer converter has the highest possible sound quality you can get coming out of a pad, so it should sound really good. Not to mention face time and google maps etc. Should really blow the doors off of a double din nav unit.
I plan on having it mounted solidly with no servos attached though It will be removable with 8 hidden screws. Will be fully functional with integrated charging system. Not just for show!
All parts started out as a piece of MDF wood, which is strong, flame retardant and does not splinter. Easy to shape and wrap. I used aluminum for the dash and console inserts and brushed everythigng horizontal with 220.
Kick Panel
Old 08-12-2011, 11:33 AM
glarior
Racer

2004 Vette sport seats, both power, which I cut out my floors.....
They look great!

I like the Ipad2, im sure something else better will be coming out every year
Thats very true! My android tablet is out of date by Christmas, my android phone is 1yr old and now they have 3D. However, it works just fine for me so no use upgrading lol.

One nice thing is the Istreamer converter has the highest possible sound quality you can get coming out of a pad
Thats sounds pretty cool. I was on mp3car and they replied to another post I have going and said I can use blutooth for music. If that is the case I am going to try that! Not sure sound quality but worth a try. Like you said, tablets beat double din nav units hands down!

will be removable with 8 hidden screws
Thats where mine gets complicated, I want to be able to take it in and out when I stop somewhere. I drive it every day and thats just one more thing to steal.

Car looks good! Keep up the good work!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

10.1 inch Tab might be huge in the little Vette. The Galaxy Tab 8.9 should be out in a few months...I think that might look a little better...plus if you wanted to take it with you it would be a little more portable.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:53 AM
glarior
Racer

Originally Posted by Dose11
10.1 inch Tab might be huge in the little Vette. The Galaxy Tab 8.9 should be out in a few months...I think that might look a little better...plus if you wanted to take it with you it would be a little more portable.
I though it was go big or go home haha, just kidding. You have a good point and the 8.9 would fit better, however, thats another $500 for something I already have thats just a little bigger. I have spent way to much on this car so far.. could have bought a used c6 by now... but the looks for the 80'
Old 08-12-2011, 05:42 PM
BLACK8TVETTE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like what you have done. I'm in the process of doing my 80 now. How did you shape the top of your dash to get the hump? Do you have any pics of the process.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:36 PM
Mewn
Pro

I stacked pieces of MDF wood and glued them together, then sanded them down with a belt sander and a hand sander and a dremel till it was the shape I wanted, sprayed with sealant, then covered with 3/8" foam and wrapped with GM Madrid.
I used a yard stick to check the window frame depth. The front side of the dash pad is slotted and slides into the rim of the window frame and is very sturdy.
If you are planning on building something similar, be aware that MDF wood has very fine particles when sanded that contain formaldehyde. Make sure to use a quality respirator.
I would much rather use MDF then fiberglass on a dash. Picture the dull MDF wood which is actually sawdust mixed with glue, impacting you in a accident then picture a fiberglass dash splintering and shattering. The same with the stock plastic dash. And the MDF is almost impossible to set on fire..
If you are interested in getting started I would start with something simple like making some custom kick panels to hold speakers. Maybe a console and arm rest after that, then work your way up to the dash which is way more complex...
If you need any help let me know, good luck!

Last edited by Mewn; 08-12-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To lets see your custom interior.. I need ideas

Quick Reply: lets see your custom interior.. I need ideas