Sponsored by:

Best trailing arm rebuild kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 01:18 PM
ashes0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best trailing arm rebuild kit?

So I'm getting ready to rebuild my rear end.

I've got all kinds of problems, grinding, squeaking, clunking, and why not? Its 32 years old and the trailing arms have never been rebuilt.

The bushings are crumbs as far as I can tell. I rebuilt the half shafts, and replaced the shocks and that took care of about half my squeaks, but it still feels very loose and there is still very disconcerting sounds so that's where I'm at.

Also the parking brake barely functions at all and I'm looking to rectify that, and I figure I may as well replace the bearings while I've got the arms out.

So what is a kit that has just about everything that you would recommend?
Old 09-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: skip the kit and ship them out to the pros. Let them do them.

The following users liked this post:
n2h2o2 (09-20-2023)
Old 09-01-2011, 09:14 PM
ashes0
Instructor

Who would you recommend? What do they typically charge?
Old 09-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

http://www.bairs.com/
The following users liked this post:
71/502 (09-20-2023)
Old 09-01-2011, 10:45 PM
ashes0
Instructor

Seems like it would be almost as much as buying new trailing arms....think I'm gonna try my hand at it...
Old 03-14-2012, 03:07 PM
rdroe
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DC Area Events Coordinator

How did you make out? I am going to attempt it myself as well.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:19 PM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

average guestimate b/w 700-800 bucks to send them out

if your gonna do it yourself it will cost you more b/c most people have to buy tools to do the job i.e spindle protector to press the spindle out of the bearing housings, shop press, sand blaster or have someone sand blast them + the rebuild kit i tore mine all apart and tore up one of my spindles and it was crazy expensive when it was all said and done

you need the bushing kit the bearing kit the crush sleeve the parking brake rebuild DO NOT bend anything which is very easy to do it is worth the piece of mind, time saved and lack of cussing at the damn things to just send them out
Old 03-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

I get a lot of my rebuild stuff from Van Steel. They have timken bearings in their kits, which I prefer. The big issue with trailing arms is having all the right tools to do the job and get the runout and play setup correctly. That is why most folks will have a shop or vendor rebuild them.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:25 PM
jakvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default trailing arms rebuild

Originally Posted by ashes0
Seems like it would be almost as much as buying new trailing arms....think I'm gonna try my hand at it...
Hi ,
just a few words of encouragment. I am in South Africa , and did not have the choices available to me that you guys in the states have . I could only import a complete set from America or r-build the units myself .

I am handy with spanners but worried that the task was outside my capabilities , but i looked up all i could from the forum and emailed Gary Ramedi . The guy will assist and put me on the right track on a few occasions until i got it correct .

It is not the run of the mill stuff , but if you read up everything you can and maybe try to get some advise from Gary , you will be able to do the job as well ,if not better than some of the units that you can obtain from the vendors .

Dont rush or take short cuts and make sure the engineering company skimming the shims with the surface grinder , grind both faces , they will tell you its not necessary , thats bull and will end up giving you a bum job if you dont watch and make sure that they surface grind all the shims require parallel as required.

I would give it a go , i have never done this type of job before , but i think my arms turned out really good , and i will be doing my arms on my 73 very soon .

Good luck

John
Old 03-16-2012, 01:48 AM
ashes0
Instructor

Hey so I actually just got around to buying the kits I will use, decided to go with Van Steel's kit and have a local shop do the work for me

http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fu...p=1801&ID=3045

I figured I would then get this kit to finish the rear rebuild. http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=24375

However, I think some of the hardware would be redundant if I bought that kit and I'm hearing adjustable strut rods save a lot of headache. Any feedback on what I should buy to supplement the parts I get with the Van Steel kit? I'm wanting to replace all the bushings/non metal hardware on the rear end that needs replacing
Old 03-16-2012, 02:28 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What is the average mileage you can go before a rebuild is needed? My 82 has 90K on her..
Old 09-20-2023, 10:12 AM
7Vette3
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alconk
What is the average mileage you can go before a rebuild is needed? My 82 has 90K on her..
Sorry for bring an old thread up, but I don't see an answer. Looking for average mileage before a rebuild is necessary. Just curious.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:23 PM
Corvette-ZL1
Burning Brakes

Received 484 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by 7Vette3
Sorry for bring an old thread up, but I don't see an answer. Looking for average mileage before a rebuild is necessary. Just curious.
It would be better to just open a new thread on the topic, as you rightfully called out, that this is an old thread. The moderator would likely agree, as it's generally taboo to re-open threads that have seen no action in well over a decade.
Old 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

I'll add that when I talked to Bair at Carlisle about my 56k mile 78 and rebuilding the trailing arms...he indicated he would leave them as is and probably don't need it. Of course your symptoms might suggest otherwise.
Old 09-21-2023, 12:32 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
I'll add that when I talked to Bair at Carlisle about my 56k mile 78 and rebuilding the trailing arms...he indicated he would leave them as is and probably don't need it. Of course your symptoms might suggest otherwise.
Mileage isn't the concern as much as age and storage. You original arms now have 45-year-old grease in them, the grease used in the 70's was pasty brown mess that often dries out.
While I can't say your TA need rebuilding without inspection, I can say I have had in very low mileage original TA, 45-50 years old, and the grease was gone.

Get notified of new replies

To Best trailing arm rebuild kit?

Quick Reply: Best trailing arm rebuild kit?