Sponsored by:

Towing with a car dolly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:04 PM
ChaosPhoenixFix
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Towing with a car dolly?

I am going to be moving from MI, to Buffalo, NY at the end of the month, and I am planning on towing the vette behind my jeep with a tow dolly. Is there anything special I need to do besides disconnecting the drive shaft?

Also, how hard is it to disconnect?
Old 09-12-2011, 12:11 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I towed my car across town with a Bravada which is basically a blazer, on a trailer. It didn't work out too well. Anything above 35 it started walking all over the road and I thought it was going to flip the truck. Depending on which jeep you have it might not be big enough/ weigh enough to do this safely.

Disconnecting the drive shaft is easy enough. Call someone like uhaul and see if they will rent a dolly for your car and a vette to find out if you will be able to do it.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Dirk68
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by milo30
I towed my car across town with a Bravada which is basically a blazer, on a trailer. It didn't work out too well. Anything above 35 it started walking all over the road and I thought it was going to flip the truck.
An anti-sway bar would prevent that.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by ChaosPhoenixFix
...Is there anything special I need to do...
Make sure the insurance on both is paid up.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:26 PM
bpassmore
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There may be some state regulations about using accessory lights on the towed vehicle. I have found it is about as cheap to rent a U haul car hauler as a tow dolly, safer if they allow a Jeep as a tow vehicle. Check them.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this but i made sure I kept the towed vehicle on local roads not exceeding 45mph behind my trailblazer. just seemed like a good idea to me. I did not disconnect the driveshaft, but was only going about 25 miles. Remember to put a secondary chain through the front wheels or the suspension somewhere to keep the car in place if the first set of clamps give way. I had no problems at all.

drive slow- it's more stopping you need to worry about. Buffalo is a long way from MI, even if you go north through Canada (which might not be legal with a car in tow, I don't know)
Old 09-12-2011, 01:31 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes, do disconnect the driveshaft. Tow with the heaviest practical vehicle available, and do hook up the brakes and lights. Properly set up you should be fine at legal highway limits. That said, with any unfamiliar or temporary equipment I'd stop to inspect things after the first few minutes, and then about every hour or so the rest of the way. And, don't forget your rig's length during the drive. In my travels I've seen too many accidents involving non-commercial tow vehicles. I'd hope insurance to be a no-brainer.

Also, I'd urge you to avoid any rain if at all possible. Not only will you be safer, but the 'vette won't become such a nasty mess.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:39 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My owners manual states not to tow with the rear wheels on the ground. I believe the suggestion is to lock the steering and tow with the front wheels on the ground.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:54 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Do not get yourself into a situation where you have to back up it is vertually impossible, 2 pivot points. Good luck and be safe.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:56 PM
ChaosPhoenixFix
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just thought I would give you guys an update. Towed the Vette with the drive shaft removed behind my Liberty, and it towed awesome. Cruised right along at 65mph the whole way, all the way from Flint to Buffalo. I got alot of thumbs up from the truckers, and when ever I stopped for gas, I got all kinds of compiments. I averaged 17.9 MPG too!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Back the car onto the tow dolly. Let the front wheels free wheel. No drive shaft removal necessary. I towed a car from CA to GA in such a manner, when we overnighted in Flagstaff, we unhooked the car in the hotel parking lot and took a trip to the Grand Canyon. Its pretty common to do it this way.

Get notified of new replies

To Towing with a car dolly?

Quick Reply: Towing with a car dolly?