Sponsored by:

Can T-tops be adjusted? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:29 PM
medic1555
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Can T-tops be adjusted? (pics)

Just wondering if there is any adjustment for the T-tops? Mine are not quite aligned as seen in the pics.

REAR

FRONT
Old 09-13-2011, 03:37 PM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes they can, look at them closely and you will be able to figure it out.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:48 PM
dmayhew
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remove the inside interior panel and you will gain access to the bolts that allow adjustmenst of the contact points.

1 scew on each side of the panel, then there are heavy duty velcro like attachments that hold the interior panel on.

Once removed, place the top on the car and loosen the bolts and move the top, and re tighten the bolts.

David
Old 09-13-2011, 04:42 PM
1980TNVette
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are some pretty good directions on the internet if you google it.

Mine are the same way, I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
I found that the position of the 'wedge bolt' on the halo at the rear outer corner of the panel, and the 'pin' bolted to the panel itself at the front outer corner, determine the gap between the 2 panels (center) and the gap between the panels and halo (rear).
The 2 'tongues' on the panel that slip into the center T bar have shims that help align the surface of the panels to each other, and to the halo.
Regards,
Alan

Moving the wedge pin in or out controls the rear gap, and moving the plate by loosening the 2 screws controls the center gap. The front pin needs to be loose while you set the rear wedge and plate.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:26 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
I found that the position of the 'wedge bolt' on the halo at the rear outer corner of the panel, and the 'pin' bolted to the panel itself at the front outer corner, determine the gap between the 2 panels (center) and the gap between the panels and halo (rear).
The 2 'tongues' on the panel that slip into the center T bar have shims that help align the surface of the panels to each other, and to the halo.
Regards,
Alan

Moving the wedge pin in or out controls the rear gap, and moving the plate by loosening the 2 screws controls the center gap. The front pin needs to be loose while you set the rear wedge and plate.
When I adjusted mine, I loosened ALL the screws & bolts just slightly to shift, tug, the tops to the best fit I could get. Then get inside a tighten everything down. Reinstall the trim and you should be good to go. You may then need to adjust the side windows to make sure they seal along the top weather stripping on the T-Tops. ANother fun job.
Good luck. Glenn
Old 09-13-2011, 08:51 PM
PhilaScott
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by medic1555
Just wondering if there is any adjustment for the T-tops? Mine are not quite aligned as seen in the pics.

REAR

FRONT
Funny.. mine look IDENTICAL.... just thinking about making this adjustment.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:20 PM
medic1555
Racer

Well, I started tackling this job this evening. I removed the tops then removed the inner panel. Next I loosened the 2 bolts that hold the 2 tongues in place so that they moved freely. Then I loosened the 2 blts that hold the pin so it moves freely.
Put the tops back on the car and pushed, tugged until they looked closer. Locked them down and re-checked my measurements...I still have a 1/2" gap in the rear and a 5/16" gap in the front. Did this several more times with the same results.
I played with that wedge pin but it didn't seem to have any effect on the panels location. The drivers side dosen't even seem to make contact with the roof panel.
Any suggestions?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:54 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi m,
The wedge pin HAS to have an effect on the roof panels location since it locates the outer rear corner of the panel when it slips into the wedge receiver screwed to the panel.
The wedge pin moves the panel forward and back as you turn it in or out. Loosening the 2 screws and moving the plate and wedge left or right moves the top panel and affects the size of the center gap.
The front corner pin, in conjunction with the wedge, determines the size of the rear gap and whether the gap is even from side to side.
Everthing has to be VERY loose to begin, and then you gradually tighten the bolts while holding the roof panel in the position you want it.
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-15-2011, 06:30 PM
medic1555
Racer

Thanks Alan! I ordered some replacement parts. The adjusting bolts on the locks were missing the rubber ends so I'm guessing that may account for the top not getting compressed down enough.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi m,
The metal brackets that are part of the top panels, that the latches bolt to, have elongated holes which give the some adjustment too.
That adjustment affects how much the latch can compress the weatherstrip in order to pull the top panel down tight.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Can T-tops be adjusted? (pics)

Quick Reply: Can T-tops be adjusted? (pics)