Sponsored by:

1973 Corvette Convertible Resto

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:21 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by F4Gary
Looks nice. Helps show off your brake work. What size? 18's?
Thanks much Gary... 18x8 with 4 inch back space... Tires are 235/50ZR-18 BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2... Definitely very happy with the look!!!

Rogman
Old 11-09-2014, 02:31 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Finally got the time to start working on the damaged rear... Got the damaged area removed... Now working carefully to expose the bonding strips and fitting the new piece in... Here are some pics:

Going back out there to continue trimming and removing seam sealer... Taking my time and measuring, re-measuring, and re-checking a third time... Goal is to have piece bonded to the exposed bonding strips today... Then during the week, can work on glassing the remaining areas...

Thanks for looking and commenting...

Rogman
Old 11-09-2014, 12:57 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Looking good my friend, good to see you back at it, although I'm sure you'd rather be doing finishing touches instead of this. Not to stir the pot........but, any news from the shipping company. I did leave some choice words on their answering service.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:26 PM
chucksingh
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

[i think we should all do this or is there any lawyers on this forum who would send them a letter. QUOTE=briankeery;1588225489]Looking good my friend, good to see you back at it, although I'm sure you'd rather be doing finishing touches instead of this. Not to stir the pot........but, any news from the shipping company. I did leave some choice words on their answering service.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-09-2014, 05:05 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Roger...sorry to read about the shipping damage...sucks.

New wheels look awesome !

Miss my C3 !

Be safe.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:04 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Originally Posted by briankeery
Looking good my friend, good to see you back at it, although I'm sure you'd rather be doing finishing touches instead of this. Not to stir the pot........but, any news from the shipping company. I did leave some choice words on their answering service.
Thanks Brian, really appreciate it...

Originally Posted by chucksingh
[i think we should all do this or is there any lawyers on this forum who would send them a letter. QUOTE=briankeery;1588225489]Looking good my friend, good to see you back at it, although I'm sure you'd rather be doing finishing touches instead of this. Not to stir the pot........but, any news from the shipping company. I did leave some choice words on their answering service.
[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't that be something Chuck!!!

Originally Posted by CQRT
Roger...sorry to read about the shipping damage...sucks.

New wheels look awesome !

Miss my C3 !

Be safe.
Thanks Rollie!! I can't wait to enjoy mine...

Rogman
Old 11-10-2014, 02:11 PM
chucksingh
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

contact the BBB

http://www.bbb.org/sdoc/business-rev...bbbonlineclick

I hope you get this shipping company to do the right thing.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:36 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Use a heat when you separate the old rear panel from the bonding strip.
Using heat makes the fiberglass loosen more easy and it does not crack when using heat and doing the job carefully
Old 11-13-2014, 12:28 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Originally Posted by chucksingh
contact the BBB

http://www.bbb.org/sdoc/business-rev...bbbonlineclick

I hope you get this shipping company to do the right thing.
Appreciate it Chuck!!!

Originally Posted by TheSaint
Use a heat when you separate the old rear panel from the bonding strip.
Using heat makes the fiberglass loosen more easy and it does not crack when using heat and doing the job carefully
Roger, wish that was an option... I completely glassed all seams during bodywork, so I have the long, slow, and painful process of carefully grinding those glassed seams out... Add in the fact that I have a "little" baby compressor over here in Germany, and I can only go 30-45 minutes at a time before I need to let the compressor take a break ;-)

Thanks much...

Rogman
Old 12-19-2014, 06:07 AM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Roger, it's been a long while since I've looked in here and needless to say WHAT A SHOCK!! I recently took a job transfer to Japan and declined having any of my cars brought over, for that very reason. I know you must have been worried while it was on the way over.

While it looks like you're well underway with the repair(s), will it be hard to get what you need in Deutschland? I understand the greenies pretty well have the place locked down...

BTW even with the back of the body removed that sucker still looks stunning, and even though I don't normally go for the 18" wheels-on-70's-car look, those wheels and tires look absolutely amazing.

I know you'll get the damage sorted out pretty well, soon enough. What an amazing, beautiful car
Old 12-20-2014, 12:31 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Originally Posted by birdsmith
Hey Roger, it's been a long while since I've looked in here and needless to say WHAT A SHOCK!! I recently took a job transfer to Japan and declined having any of my cars brought over, for that very reason. I know you must have been worried while it was on the way over.

While it looks like you're well underway with the repair(s), will it be hard to get what you need in Deutschland? I understand the greenies pretty well have the place locked down...

BTW even with the back of the body removed that sucker still looks stunning, and even though I don't normally go for the 18" wheels-on-70's-car look, those wheels and tires look absolutely amazing.

I know you'll get the damage sorted out pretty well, soon enough. What an amazing, beautiful car
Thanks Dave... Glad you are doing well... Repairs are going slowly because work is kicking my butt!!! Just found out we got selected for Group Command at Scott AFB, IL... So this coming summer, we will be leaving rainy Germany for the heartland of the States!!! We're looking forward to it...

I actually was able to confiscate all my body shop supplies in my move to Germany... Plan is to finish the bodywork, sand her down again, and have a local sprayer respray the entire car in base coat/clear coat... Pretty sure they have to use waterborne over here, but since I am not spraying, should not be an issues (I hope!!!)... With me doing all the prep, I've been quoted less than 1000 Euro (about $1,250) for a complete respray... Haven't decided if I will ship back home or try to sell here before we leave... Leaning toward shipping it to IL...

Thanks on the wheels... I was super happy with the way the look turned out!!!

Good luck in Japan!!! From what I've heard, my Vette is the only car we have that qualifies for shipping to Japan!!! Take care and stay in touch...

Rogman
Old 12-21-2014, 06:22 AM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rogman16
Thanks Dave... Glad you are doing well... Repairs are going slowly because work is kicking my butt!!! Just found out we got selected for Group Command at Scott AFB, IL... So this coming summer, we will be leaving rainy Germany for the heartland of the States!!! We're looking forward to it...

I actually was able to confiscate all my body shop supplies in my move to Germany... Plan is to finish the bodywork, sand her down again, and have a local sprayer respray the entire car in base coat/clear coat... Pretty sure they have to use waterborne over here, but since I am not spraying, should not be an issues (I hope!!!)... With me doing all the prep, I've been quoted less than 1000 Euro (about $1,250) for a complete respray... Haven't decided if I will ship back home or try to sell here before we leave... Leaning toward shipping it to IL...

Thanks on the wheels... I was super happy with the way the look turned out!!!

Good luck in Japan!!! From what I've heard, my Vette is the only car we have that qualifies for shipping to Japan!!! Take care and stay in touch...

Rogman
EEK...respray the whole car? Since the damage was pretty much confined to the rear panel couldn't it be blended in there at the corners? I know it wouldn't be laser-perfect but you could get it close enough until you could get it back to the US to use non-waterborne paint. As for the shipping, is there any way that you could check on the car before the container is closed up to make sure it's secure?

I guess I know as well as anybody how much sweat you've put in that car. You started well before I stripped and repainted mine and I took two long grueling years to do that. I NEVER thought it would be done, and you're still dotting I's and crossing t's on yours. Wow. It's just painful to know how much effort you put into that baby and then to see it treated so rudely by some Neanderthal boneheads...

BTW my son is now on the homestretch, graduates from TCU this May, and is getting his commission shortly after that...I'm a pretty proud papa
Old 12-22-2014, 03:31 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Originally Posted by birdsmith
EEK...respray the whole car? Since the damage was pretty much confined to the rear panel couldn't it be blended in there at the corners? I know it wouldn't be laser-perfect but you could get it close enough until you could get it back to the US to use non-waterborne paint. As for the shipping, is there any way that you could check on the car before the container is closed up to make sure it's secure?

I guess I know as well as anybody how much sweat you've put in that car. You started well before I stripped and repainted mine and I took two long grueling years to do that. I NEVER thought it would be done, and you're still dotting I's and crossing t's on yours. Wow. It's just painful to know how much effort you put into that baby and then to see it treated so rudely by some Neanderthal boneheads...

BTW my son is now on the homestretch, graduates from TCU this May, and is getting his commission shortly after that...I'm a pretty proud papa
Yepper, since I only have to pay 100 Euros per panel, thought it would be best to prep the entire car and have the same BC/CC system on all panels... There are a few other dings and snafus from the garage paint shoot that I will feel much better with a total respray... I was going to do from the quarters on back, but have decided to go for a full respray...

I'm glad your son is in the home stretch!!! He needs to enjoy these last few months in school, as once he gets his commission and comes on active duty, college life will be over!!! No going back ;-)

Thanks for the comments...

Rogman
Old 12-23-2014, 09:41 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Rogman. What kind of paint are they going to use on your Corvette? If they do not have that kind of paint in Germany i mean
What about having some of the same paint you used in the US shipped to Germany ?
Old 12-23-2014, 11:12 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Rogman. What kind of paint are they going to use on your Corvette? If they do not have that kind of paint in Germany i mean
What about having some of the same paint you used in the US shipped to Germany ?
Roger--

Pretty sure they are using Spies Hecker waterborne... I brought some of my base coat/clear coat materials with me, but not enough for a full respray... Not supposed to ship those types of products to my APO box, so don't know how I would get it from the States to Germany... In addition, not sure if the paint shop would accept my PPG products if they aren't familiar with it... Don't have the facilities here to paint myself... Kind of painted myself in a corner, no pun intended...

Rogman
Old 12-23-2014, 11:19 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I am pretty sure that it is only paint on spray cans(aerosol)that can not be shipped
Regular paint should be okay

Originally Posted by rogman16
Roger--

Pretty sure they are using Spies Hecker waterborne... I brought some of my base coat/clear coat materials with me, but not enough for a full respray... Not supposed to ship those types of products to my APO box, so don't know how I would get it from the States to Germany... In addition, not sure if the paint shop would accept my PPG products if they aren't familiar with it... Don't have the facilities here to paint myself... Kind of painted myself in a corner, no pun intended...

Rogman

Last edited by TheSaint; 12-23-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:24 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Seriously, heads didn't roll? And you better bring that beauty back to her home country, you put too much time in to let her stay in Europe.

Get notified of new replies

To 1973 Corvette Convertible Resto

Old 12-23-2014, 02:39 PM
rogman16
Drifting

I am pretty sure that it is only paint on spray cans(aerosol)that can not be shipped
Regular paint should be okay
Okay, let me check, thanks...

Originally Posted by chazde3
Seriously, heads didn't roll? And you better bring that beauty back to her home country, you put too much time in to let her stay in Europe.
Thanks, certainly leaning that way unless a rich European makes me an offer I cannot refuse ;-)

Rogman
Old 12-23-2014, 10:55 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Hey Rog,

How 'bout them Noles!
Old 12-24-2014, 11:33 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Originally Posted by F4Gary
Hey Rog,

How 'bout them Noles!
Not going to tempt the Football gods, so won't make any comments until after our last game of the season... But, my blood pressure has risen many points this season ;-)

Rogman

Quick Reply: 1973 Corvette Convertible Resto