Sponsored by:

What is a Saginaw transmission? a tad OT

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 11:50 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Default What is a Saginaw transmission? a tad OT

Hope all have been doing well..I have been somewhat MIA...really busy this time of the year with lots of events...been enjoying the 69 and it still has the 73 front clip ( mako clip is hiding in the shed )

So I buy this Valkyrie kit car, I had one and sold it 20 years ago,

It runs a mid engine with a Crown Corair saginaw transaxle, the shifter is not on the side of the tranny but a rod comes out the lower drivers front, corvair style.
If you dont do hot shots or beat them too hard they arent too bad, fun old school.

Anyway the tranny in mine is bad....so I call a couple shops...I avoid places like Aamco but the first shop I call asked what is a sagginog?
I just hung up on him.
The next fellow heard of saginaw but never has rebuilt one but would love a shot at it....I told him goodbye before hanging up.

The next place informed me that a Saginaw from a Corvair is a one off antique piece that is no longer made and parts are no longer made and no one will touch them,
( wrong, the corvair internals are lopo Saginaw )

So...

I am in Orlando Florida does anyone know of a shop or a person that knows Saginaws and how to work on them, not some newbie but someone who has done a few,
At this point I would even consider mailing the thing to a rebuilder,

Is the Saginaw really this far gone?

Cheers,
P.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:00 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,314 Posts

You might want to reach out to CORSA, The Corvair Society of America. They have a Chapter somewhere in the Orlando-Daytona area. I use to know someone who belonged to the chapter (he passed away a year ago). I think they hosted a show at Old Town a few years ago. Someone in the Chapter may be able to help you, or refer you to someone who can. I think the website is www.corvair.org.

In the early 70's, my cousin built a mid-engine 66 Corvair using an LT-1 and the Crown kit, which included an engine sub-frame and the trans adapter. That Corvair Saginaw, held up pretty good behind the LT-1!

Quick Reply: What is a Saginaw transmission? a tad OT