Sponsored by:

NC Antique Auto Vehicle Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:19 AM
RescueDad
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NC Antique Auto Vehicle Inspection

Hey all, just thought I would share my experience at the Avent Ferry Rd DMV this morning getting an "antique auto inspection". I know, I know, its the DMV, but it actually wasn't all that bad.

I got there a few minutes before 8 am, and there was about a dozen people waiting to get in (they open at 8 am). The office is actually split up in two section, the DMV side and the Theft and License Bureau side (where you get your antique inspections). Only three of us were headed in to the TLB side, and I was the only one there for an inspection.

I was inside no more than 5-7 minutes, and then the inspector and I were headed out to look at my car. All they asked for was my license and registration. The inspector wrote down the mileage, VIN number, trim tag info (why, I don't know), looked at the engine compartment and took a few pictures.

It was a real painless process and the inspector was pretty friendly. All in all, it was a good experience. In and out in less than 20 minutes Should be getting my title in about 6-8 weeks.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:12 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't know how many DMVs have both. My guess is very few. I had to take my 68 to a separate location for the "Theft bureau" inspection. This is a relatively new requirement (started in 2007 I think) and is not checking to see if your old car is a stolen vehicle. The purpose of this inspection is to verify that your old car is in fact an old car and not a new manufactured car being registered as a classic to avoid inspections and emissions testing. This law came about after a scandal due to a high up DMV official registering his own kit cars as classics.

I also know people who have had inspectors come to their residence to inspect their vehicles. Your experience may vary.

Quick Reply: NC Antique Auto Vehicle Inspection