Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery drain has caused other electrical problems

Old 10-21-2011, 11:03 AM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery drain has caused other electrical problems

found battery drain it was the wiper motor unplugged then lost the radio and heater fan checked fuses and inline bus fuse ok courtesy lights woulnt go out took out glove box compartment unhooked delay orange circuit board jumped whites together took care of courtesy light
problem. my question is what can I do to get radio and heater fan working again both worked before it looks to me like the heater core is in the way to get to heater fan and trouble shoot it thanks
Old 10-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You say you checked fuses, but did you actually replace them? I've seen blown fuses which looked fine while in the fuse block.

Blower fan is under the hood. You do not have to pull the dash to get to the fan.

Courtesy lights staying on could be at the headlight switch. Give the **** a turn and see if they go out.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:37 PM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

thanks easy mike at this point i will try anything. i will try to replace the fuses. but i really think i have burned something out somewhere like a relay or switch i have checked for power at both the heater fan and selector switch and neither have power. i dont know why i lost both the radio and heater fan,when you push in on the wiper switch you can hear it shorting out behind the gauges. the heat air selector fan speed switch prongs look darkened like they have been burned so im sure the switch is probably fried but im sure that isnt the only problem i am going to try to run power and ground direct from battery to heater fan and radio and see if they come on. i cant seem to get to the fan its so tight to the heater core so i am going to try and splice into the wires. tracing wiring difficulties is tough! I know there is a resistor for the heat air blower too but i dont know where it is

Last edited by corvettesummer79; 10-22-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:22 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I've not looked at the schematic on this.. but like Mike said.. check the fuse. Then go to the blower motor resistor on the firewall and check for power on the brown wire at the resistor circuit 50. With the key on you should have power there.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:46 PM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

thank you so much WILLCOX CORVETTE there was no power at the resistor and the fuses all checked out fine. I ran power and ground direct from battery to blower motor and radio and both came on. so i poked wires through the firewall and was going to pickup power from the wiring harness behind the glove box and run a switch leg to turn the fan on and off. my question is will this overload the circuit to run power for both the fan motor and radio from the courtesy light harness? or do I need a seperate power source for each one?
i am trying to keep from tearing everything up and running wires all over thanks any thoughts on what to do?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:37 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Before you go and rewire the whole car, you said something in the original post that caught my attention, unplugging the wiper motor will NOT cause a battery drain. I think you have/had more than one problem. It looks like the ctsy delay timer may have been a problem. Something elst to run down: Check the wires on the starter, Follow the ground wire from the blower motor down to the starter, sometimes when the starter is swapped out, the engine harnes ground wire gets connected to the large battery terminal on the starter, it should go to the bell housing or starter mount bolt. That ground wire ties the blower motor, wiper motor and a couple other things to the engine ground. Its the only ground point, so if it is connected to the battery terminal on the starter it doesn't flow fuses or start fires, but will do some other things, like maybe drain a battery.
Do your testing one step at a time: Take a hot wire from the battery or alternator directly to the blower motor and see if it runs useing the regular ground. If it doesn't, connect a ground wire to the engine sonewhere. If that makes it run your engine bay ground is wrong somewhere.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:30 PM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

i appreciate the help. but at this point Im looking for the fastest easiest way to get everything working again. there is more than one problem with the fan selector speed circuit for one thing the switch is fried and the resistor is bad not to mention its a complicated circuit and i dont trust all the wires in it. what I need to know is where is a safe place to get power for the radio and the blower motor? I know they both work because I had them working when i hooked them up to the battery. I would love to get the power from the ignition switch but I dont want to tear things apart. I guess i am going to have to two different sources of clean power that doesnt overload something else and protect them with inline fuses. the question is where?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:38 PM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

in this case the wiper motor was causing the battery drain because the light went off when i unhooked it and it took care of the problem completely
Old 10-25-2011, 04:52 PM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

I now have power at the dark brown wire that plugs in to the top of the heater
Old 11-04-2011, 11:37 PM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

the wiper motor was wired incorrectly. and not grounded properly. im still having problems with the blower motor. it has to be the selector switch, the resistor or the relay. i tried to jumper wire the selector switch but it still didnt come on. i have power at the resistor harness and the black wire to the blower motor. any ideas?
Old 11-10-2011, 03:37 PM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

a big thank you to everyone that replied the blower motor radio and wiper motor all work now with no battery drain
i have a new question? the top of the compressor has 2 prongs for wires to attach but nothing plugged in. does anyone know what wires need to plug in to the compressor and how do you know which prong is which? thanks
Old 11-13-2011, 10:24 AM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

71vette answered this for me the blade closest to the fender is ground and the other one is power feed to the compressor clutch. now i just need to get it wired correctly. I found the 2 pin connector tucked under the fender the black wire was cut and hanging. I also found an unplugged light green wire female connector. I am going to test the wires first. Im not sure what the light green wire is for or where it is supposed to be plugged in

Last edited by corvettesummer79; 11-13-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: posted incorrectly
Old 11-13-2011, 11:28 AM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

I tested the wires the light green plug in has power with the key on blower motor running set to a/c normal and no power when a/c switch shut off. the two pin connector that is supposed to plug in to the compressor has no power at all in any position. any ideas? thanks
Old 04-16-2013, 11:20 AM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

got this all fixed it was wiring not grounded

Get notified of new replies

To battery drain has caused other electrical problems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: battery drain has caused other electrical problems