Sponsored by:

TKO-600 now or RS-600 later?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 06:10 PM
'Bochawa72
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TKO-600 now or RS-600 later?

Well I've had a RS-600 on order from Keisler since May-ish. Originally I was to get the trans sometime areound July/August. This was perfect for me because I would just be getting back from my three year tour in Japan. I was then told suppliers parts were on backorder so I had to wait until December. I called Keisler today and they told me it's gonna be more like March/April. Well I got orders to tranfser to Italy next April and the way things have been going I doubt that the trans will be here in time for me to install before I leave. I spoke to a sales rep and he told me that even though the TKO kit is more expensive by $200 they could get me a TKO-600 in two weeks for no additional cost.

SO..... what do you guys think, is it worth waiting for the RS kit or should I just take the TKO and be done with it?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there's a lot of guys on here with the TKO kit that are very happy so I'd get the one that gets here quicker!!! Especially in your situation for sure.

Sully
Old 11-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Bochawa72
... I called Keisler today and they told me it's gonna be more like March/April...
I've been waiting for the RS-600 lead times to improve since last summer, looks like they are actually getting worse so I guess I need to start looking at the TKO's also.
And since it's a TKO, all of a sudden there are other vendors out there so shopping around for better deals / deliveries is a possibility.

I'm guessing you've already put down your payment to Keisler so your probably stuck.

Lots of guys have been running the TKO for quite a few years, lots of good feedback, I was going to order one, then changed my mind for the RS (now looks like I'm back where I started)

Take the TKO and be glad you have something until you go

I've heard/read somewhere that the high speed shift issue was fixed with some graphite or carbon block gizmo (and re-learning how to shift made the 2-3 better) so maybe make sure they put one of those in for you. Try searching, seems to me it might have been a fairly recent post by KeilserJeff

The RS really sounded like a great trans and I'd place an order tomorrow if they could actually deliver but it doesn't sound like it.
FWIW
Mooser
Old 11-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

So you are talking 10 months from your order. I have had good dealing with Keisler before but this trans sounds like a bad deal. If it has taken 10 months to get parts something is wrong with the design and they are redoing the part. I can't say for sure but I work around and deal with machine shops on a daily basis that supply parts. If you want a trans now go for the TKO. I'm curious how these new ones work when the ydo come out. The T56 I have shifts very smoothly compared to the TKO. Nothing wrong with the TKO though. I drove one for years and it took a lot of abuse.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 PM
RobbSalzmann
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Gordonm
So you are talking 10 months from your order. I have had good dealing with Keisler before but this trans sounds like a bad deal. If it has taken 10 months to get parts something is wrong with the design and they are redoing the part. I can't say for sure but I work around and deal with machine shops on a daily basis that supply parts. If you want a trans now go for the TKO. I'm curious how these new ones work when the ydo come out. The T56 I have shifts very smoothly compared to the TKO. Nothing wrong with the TKO though. I drove one for years and it took a lot of abuse.
Yup, And don't cross the road if you can't get out of the kitchen

Get the TKO...
Old 11-08-2011, 07:48 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Get a TKO, I wonder how Kiesler can sell the RS transmission with that 10+ months of delivery period!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:39 AM
KeislerSales
Racer

Originally Posted by Mooser
1. I've been waiting for the RS-600 lead times to improve since last summer, looks like they are actually getting worse so I guess I need to start looking at the TKO's also.
And since it's a TKO, all of a sudden there are other vendors out there so shopping around for better deals / deliveries is a possibility.

2. I'm guessing you've already put down your payment to Keisler so your probably stuck.

3. Lots of guys have been running the TKO for quite a few years, lots of good feedback, I was going to order one, then changed my mind for the RS (now looks like I'm back where I started)

4. I've heard/read somewhere that the high speed shift issue was fixed with some graphite or carbon block gizmo (and re-learning how to shift made the 2-3 better) so maybe make sure they put one of those in for you. Try searching, seems to me it might have been a fairly recent post by KeilserJeff

5. The RS really sounded like a great trans and I'd place an order tomorrow if they could actually deliver but it doesn't sound like it.
FWIW
Mooser
1. The RS400/500 ships within 60-90 days but the 600 is still experiencing vendor delays and lead times are unacceptable. We realize this and are working hard to get them within reason.

2. No, he is not stuck. We have provided the option of switching to the TKO for the same price or he can get his money back. There is no penalty if he chooses the latter.

3. Correct. See #4.

4. We have the option of installing carbon fiber lined synchronizer blocker ring that will take the TKO rpm capability to 7500. Out of the box they typically hit a dead end around 6k even though I've seen a couple shifted at 7k unmodified. These blockers will also reduce the lower rpm shift effort across the range. 2nd to 3rd is a learning curve and old school 4 speed guys are typically the ones who have a hard time nailing it. Once the technique is learned 3rd is not an issue 95% of the time.

5. The RS is the best 5 speed overdrive available on the market and most guys can use the 400/500 that ships much quicker. We've shipped over 300 RS units this year alone and progress is being made everyday.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:44 AM
KeislerSales
Racer

Gordon, the long lead times are only on the 600. There's no problems with the design and we're not redoing any parts.

The 600 requires a new speed gear and countershaft, both coming from North Carolina. Due to our loss of one vendor this company has taken on the task of tooling up and making these parts for us. It's not a fast process and every piece has to pass quality control inspection.

600s are shipping, just not quickly enough.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by KeislerJeff
Gordon, the long lead times are only on the 600. There's no problems with the design and we're not redoing any parts.

The 600 requires a new speed gear and countershaft, both coming from North Carolina. Due to our loss of one vendor this company has taken on the task of tooling up and making these parts for us. It's not a fast process and every piece has to pass quality control inspection.

600s are shipping, just not quickly enough.

Thanks for the update. That makes sense now. I have always had good luck with your company and will continue to use you guys. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:48 AM
KeislerSales
Racer

Originally Posted by HamadUP
Get a TKO, I wonder how Kiesler can sell the RS transmission with that 10+ months of delivery period!
We're all grown men here and can make decisions for ourselves. If a guy doesn't mind the wait then is it really an issue? Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:50 AM
KeislerSales
Racer

Thanks for the update. That makes sense now. I have always had good luck with your company and will continue to use you guys. Thanks for the explanation.
Great to hear and thanks for your support.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:39 PM
'Bochawa72
Pro

Based on my schedule I decided to go ahead and get the TKO-600 right now. I drove a buddies TKO-600 and it's a huge upgrade from my muncie. I opted for the carbon fiber lined synchronizer blocker ring as well. I figure I won't be on a track too much if at all so high RPM shifting isn't a huge priority. ALso I drove a friends TKO-600 and it was a huge upgrade over the stock trans. I can't wait to get it and install it, I even bought a trans jack from a fellow forum member this weekend. Bring on the big brown truck!
Old 11-08-2011, 04:53 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

This is good to know since I'm planning on buying an RS500 in the spring. Hopefully by then there will be even less of a wait.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:54 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

How is the RS better than the TKO?
Old 11-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by AGVI
How is the RS better than the TKO?
Shifting wise there is no comparison. The RS if it is like they say the same as the T56 it is butter smooth. I drove a TKO for years and really liked the trans and there is nothing wrong with it but it is notchier (if that is a word) than the T56 trans.

Get notified of new replies

To TKO-600 now or RS-600 later?

Quick Reply: TKO-600 now or RS-600 later?