C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last ride with the old Glasspack mufflers: turn down your speaker volume ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Yankeededandy
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Last ride with the old Glasspack mufflers: turn down your speaker volume ;-)

There was absolutely nothing good on TV tonight so I shot my own movie with the help of my son Benjamin. The intention was to have a sound file of the current exhaust setup because I have to buy new mufflers. The current ones look like they belong on a Rat Rod and not a classic Corvette .Still, I like the rumble. The engine is a high compression L46, 2.5" pipes (no headers!), i.e. what I call "Old School Sound" or "Beautiful Noise". It was also a great day out there and I couldn't resist to take a ride.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbpIY...ature=youtu.be
or here (if the Youtube version shouldn't work): http://s833.beta.photobucket.com/use...packs.mp4.html

Have a great Sunday everybody and greetings from Switzerland

Martin
Old 11-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

that's the way they should sound and very close to those of OE performance Vettes of yesteryear......

todays sound is better suited for Mustangs and Camaros with there rattle can mufflers.......
Old 11-24-2012, 07:34 PM
BPHORSEGUY
Melting Slicks

Location: SUFFIELD CT USA 2023 C8 CORVETTE UN-MODIFIED FINALIST
Received 649 Likes on 347 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

That car sounds awsome, I would fix the mirror and be careful of changing the mufflers to not ruin the sound !
Old 11-24-2012, 08:07 PM
scorpion18z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool! Say, any of your buddies over there looking for a restored 82 vette. Doesn't have the power of yours...which could be in your favor (lol).
Old 11-24-2012, 08:18 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Sweet, now you've got me thinking about glasspacks for mine
Old 11-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice vid....sent to a Swiss buddy of mine! Magnaflows sound good!! Muddy
Old 11-24-2012, 09:43 PM
gkz
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankeededandy
There was absolutely nothing good on TV tonight so I shot my own movie with the help of my son Benjamin. The intention was to have a sound file of the current exhaust setup because I have to buy new mufflers. The current ones look like they belong on a Rat Rod and not a classic Corvette .Still, I like the rumble. The engine is a high compression L46, 2.5" pipes (no headers!), i.e. what I call "Old School Sound" or "Beautiful Noise". It was also a great day out there and I couldn't resist to take a ride.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbpIY...ature=youtu.be
or here (if the Youtube version shouldn't work): http://s833.beta.photobucket.com/use...packs.mp4.html

Have a great Sunday everybody and greetings from Switzerland

Martin
Cool theme song; who is it?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:37 AM
Yankeededandy
Pro

Originally Posted by gkz
Cool theme song; who is it?
Steamhammer, Junior's Wailing from 1969. Here's a live clip from around the same time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s331iKZGf8

Thanks for the nice comments by the way

Martin
Old 11-25-2012, 02:10 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Very car & sounds and beautiful scenery!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Heath66
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Your vette is very nice and I thought it sounded great.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:50 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

That car looks and sounds horrible. You should immediately ship it to me in the States, and I will take that car off your hands. (Can you tell I'm jealous)? 69 L46's are the exact car I'd like to one day sell my 79 for!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:49 PM
RS69
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice video and awesome sounding vette.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:53 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That extra horsepower of about 130 more hp would sure make a difference in my stock l48 76 four speed which has true duals. If I ever open the engine it will get new heads, intake, cam, bore a little and raise the compression and run it up to somewhere around 400 hp. I have another vehicle over 400 hp so every time I think about it I look at the 76 which uses not a drop of oil, runs perfectly and is great zipping around on curved roads and tell myself not to screw it up by opening it up. Love the sound though my two true duals with flowmasters sound pretty good too. Great car you should be proud of. I bet you love the punch it has. Saw one in Sweden with a 427 on Mantorp or one of their tracks in club races and when he mashed it that Vette just walked away from anybody around....though I suspect he was running closer to 450+ hp.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:51 AM
uncleo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings from Long Branch NJ,Americas first seashore resort and 7 time US summer capital....Great sound with those glasspacks....reminds me of the sound I had with glasspacks on my 327-350 four speed back in the late 60's and 70's before they burned out....backing down through the gears was the best....noise ?....music baby....finally had to replace them....bought a pair of thrush header- sidepipes that looked just like hookers for 50 dollars from a friend ....thanks for the memories.
Lee
Old 11-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Yankeededandy
Pro

Originally Posted by LancePearson
That extra horsepower of about 130 more hp would sure make a difference in my stock l48 76 four speed which has true duals.
I'm not sure, if the L46 really cranks out 130 more H.P. than your L48. 350HP is gross and I estimate around 270, 280 HP net and that what it feels like. Still, it gives a pretty good punch in the back for a small block, as can be seen in the video at 1:55 when I stepped on the gas in 3rd and my son almost dropped the camera.

Enjoyed all your comments - thank you guys . I'll be shooting a comparison video once the new mufflers are on (and lot's of other stuff I have to do over the winter).

Martin
Old 11-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I very much enjoyed that video for which I thank you. It has been many years since I have had glasspaks on a car. So that sound brings back memories!

If I may post an aside. I noticed the hardtop on your car. And it sure looks good. I recently purchased one for my 1974 convertible but have been repeatedly been advised that it will damage the paint on the rear deck. And that may be so but I do not see damage in your pics. What measures have you taken to avoid paint damage? I have ordered new rear weatherstrip. Any tips?

Paul
Canada

PS - I noticed you are using daytime running lights (DRLs). Must be a European requirement. What conversion kit did you use?

Last edited by Paul L; 11-26-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Yankeededandy
Pro

Hi Paul

Yeah, Glasspacks have gone out of fashion. Nowadays, everybody wants sidepipes on a C3. For me it's definitely also a trip down memory lane and I will buy another set. But Glasspacks are like good red wine - the sound comes with age.

The car is driven in Switzerland. We have daytime runnning lights on new cars and they are mandatory equipment there (but it is not yet mandatory to use them). Older cars don't have to be equiped with them. What you see on my Corvette is just the yellow parking lights. That's actually a (small) violation of Swiss law as parking lights have to be white and turn signals yellow in front. But nobody has complained yet.

As for the hardtop: What you heard is correct. It does damage the rear deck. After 40 years of usage is has left marks on it which cannot be polished out. I have a rubber strip on the bottom of the hardtop for protection. But the scars are already there. Still, I'm not going to do anything about it. It's part of the history of the old girl and the paint has other cracks and chips as well, even though it still shines great.

Martin

Get notified of new replies

To Last ride with the old Glasspack mufflers: turn down your speaker volume ;-)

Old 11-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Thanks Martin,

I am thinking of some ways to prevent that hardtop damage from happening. Thick felt, thin rubber, etc. Lots of time before April to consider options. I have the rear deck protector (e.g. Corvette Central #433045) on order but I wish to augment that.

My restoration is being held up by parts (ordered) that are just not coming through?? Strange.

BTW, I won't mention Hush Thrush with a Woody Woodpecker decal...OK I guess I just did. It was a 1964 Chevrolet Malibu SS with a 327 and a four-speed. Neighbours loved it...sort of.

Last edited by Paul L; 11-27-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Would you have pics of those marks? It would help to know where the pressure points are. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2012, 04:05 PM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

car does sound great!

Quick Reply: Last ride with the old Glasspack mufflers: turn down your speaker volume ;-)