Sponsored by:

Drive your antique too much ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:54 AM
boltnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drive your antique too much ?

I have antique plates that restricts driving in PA. I was sitting here thinking of rolling the 73 to work this morning but I have been doing so a lot lately and wonder if I could actually get a ticket.

Has anyone ever gotten a ticket for driving an antique plated car at night or to work or any other "antique violation" ?

I will also likely go over my 2k limit for collector insurance this year.....I assume this means I simply wouldn't be covered in a claim and nothing more ?

Haven't had the 73 a year yet but it's getting a lot of use !
Old 11-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Here in NJ, if you have antique plates, you may only operate the vehicle on public roads for "exhibition or education purposes only". In other words, no pleasure driving. I don't remember anyone ever getting a ticket, but I have spoken to many classic car owners who have been pulled over and hassled for a while. Basically, the local car clubs make it so there is a show or cruise-in every night of the week and every Saturday and Sunday afternoon so people just remember where it is on that night and tell the cop that's where they are going. I have never wanted to hassle with that, so I got regular use registration and a valid inspection sticker so the state of NJ doesn't give a hoot how many miles I drive or when.

Insurance is a differnt matter. I use classic car insurance, so I abide by their use restrictions. I don't know what happens if I exceed my "guideline" of 3000 miles, I've never been close so I never asked. I use Hagerty, and they are generally down on driving the car to work, unless you are going from work to a show or club event. They are somewhat flexible on the miles, they wanted to give me a 1500 mile guideline but I told them the run to Carlisle and back is about 350 miles just for that one show so I was nervous about a 1500 mile limit. They came back with 3000 with no change to the price. As it has turned out, the only years I have gone over 1500 WERE the years I drove the 'vette to Carlisle, so my concern was well-founded. You should check your restrictions though, I hear Grundy allows occasional driving to work.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Marlin
Drifting

In VA one cop told the news they would have to prove the person was using the car in a normal fashion and it was next to impossible to prove. Big reason for that is how our law is written...

"•Testing its operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, selling the vehicle or trailer, transportation to and from events as described in number 1 above and for the occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your residence."

If a cop pulls you over just say you are testing its operation after/during a repair/maintenance. Heck I can do a oil change and that would be enough for the law.

So read ALL your states law and see if there is a out like that. If not do like PKguitar said and know when and where all the shows are. The state has to prove you are breaking the law. Part of that is intent and thats hard to prove, at least without spending more than its worth for most cops. So just don't **** off your local police and you should be fine.

My 73 is antique in VA and I even got to use a set of 73 vintage tags. 1973 was the last year they had tages with no stickers.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:23 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you want peace of mind take different routes each day so if you happen to pass a police cruiser, the odds are it wouldn't be two days in a row.

My Weld Draglites and MT drag radials bother me more than the mileage issue,....and the nasty idle. But most police officers are not car guys, and figure the "old Vettes" just sounded like that. Some actually did,....but mines an 80.

As for tickets......If you drive respectfully, and give no reason for a roadside chat,.....I doubt you'd ever get pulled over for just the plates. Been driving mine for years with antique tags in Pa.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:56 PM
694speed350
Race Director

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

My 69 has antique registration in Tn. I have a '69 Arizona tag on it which is legal as long as the perminent tn tag is in the car. I drive it whenever I want to. I have never been stopped driving that way since I got it.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:20 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

When I lived in NJ I never heard of anybody getting ticketed, stopped or hassled while driving a car with QQ (historic vehicle) plates. It did bug me a bit when I would regularly see a car with QQ plates parked in front of a school or business knowing the vehicle was used for commuting. As far as the legal restriction: "exhibition or education purposes only" that was easy! Every time I drive the car I am putting on an exhibition and similarly educating the public by letting them see how they used to make 'em!. (Where does the statute say "parade"or "car show" ? ... it doesn't)
Old 11-30-2011, 08:28 PM
boltnut
Drifting

I guess I'll just take my chances. I'm hoping I would get a warning anyway and not actually a fine. Really, it might be worth the fine considering what I save in state fees for annual inspection and tags. I guess I'll keep driving it this way and if there is ever an issue I can look into a "classic" tag instead of "antique" at that time. I probably inspect my car closer than any service station would anyway.....
Old 11-30-2011, 08:43 PM
2wheelin
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is the PA code:

The use of Antique and Classic registration plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle
Code, which states: “It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique and classic
registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club
activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses.” Occasional transportation and
similar uses is defined as one day a week.

Sunrise to sunset limit only for antiques without lighting (your 73 had headlights, right)
Old 12-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

From the NJ DMV:

Vehicle requirements:
• Owned as a collector’s item
• Used solely for exhibition or educational purposes
• Cannot be altered from the manufacturer’s original design in any way
• Equipped for legal operation on NJ roadways
That is the letter of the law. The interpretation of the second bullet to mean "to and from car shows" is my understanding based on talking to car guys at car shows.

As far as getting stopped, I think it depends on where you are. I live in Scotch Plains, that borders a certain NJ town whose LEOs have a reputation for pulling over classic cars and hassling the owners. I won't state the name of the town, since that would be impolite to the LEOs in question, but it begins with a "West", and ends with a "field". I doubt those guys would pull someone over on a Saturday afternoon in May, but I plan to drive my car this weekend, and if I go through that town, I expect to get a good eyeballin' from the cops there as I have in the past.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:37 AM
boltnut
Drifting

So the potential for a ticket is real. Maybe only depends on if the LEO is having a bad day. Still no first person account of an actual fine though....?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Originally Posted by boltnut
So the potential for a ticket is real. Maybe only depends on if the LEO is having a bad day. Still no first person account of an actual fine though....?
I have never heard of anyone actually getting the ticket. However, I would bet that the guys running QQ plates (antique in NJ) don't drive their cars from November 1st to March 31st when there are no car shows. This past Saturday was a beautiful day, and I got a nice top-down cruise without worrying about the cops while my QQ brethren were probably raking leaves.

In my opinion, the disadvantages of QQ plates outweigh the advantages. The advantages are that you pay $44 for a one-time registration that you need to renew every 3 years at no cost, and you don't have to get inspected. With my regular use plates, I have to renew registration every year for about $50, and I have to get inspected every 2 years. Inspection is only emissions, and I can get it done for free at the state inpection stations. I let the local mechanic I have been working with do it for me for $60. So all in, it costs me $80 per year and an hour of my time every two years to run regular use plates. In return, I can drive my car whenever I want (subject to the insurance use restrictions).

All that said, I'll probably get a ride or two in this weekend, and then put her away until March. I have a list of things I want to do to the car.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:49 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

So, what's the advantage of antique plates anyway?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Carl Granquist
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Speeding ticket, yes, here in Washington. But never any question on "collector vehicle" status.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:57 AM
boltnut
Drifting

In PA it means no inspection person will ever look at my car and it's just the cheapest option as well. I don't believe I ever have to renew it. I had an antique plate on the car I sold to get this one so I kept it. I think in pa you have to have working defrost and a few other items. Can't remember right now. I think it would cost me some money and time to bring it up to the level I would need it to be for inspections...
Old 12-01-2011, 09:20 AM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by thegazman
In Florida = half the cost of registration and tax = lots of $$ in pocket, and cheaper insurance.= $158 a year....= lots of $$ in pocket. I drive my vette everyday I have off, if weather permits. My days off are Monday thru Wednesday's, NEVER BEEN PULLED OVER. But almost always the sheriff will pull along side ask what year, and tells me it looks great.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:22 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

In NH you can drive your car with antique plates when ever you want. All the plates do is allow you to go until April with an expired inspection sticker, (our inspections and registrations are due by the end of our birth months, mine is in January so I take advantage of this rule.)
and registration is less expensive too.

When I asked what the restrictions were, I was told "The car has to be 25 years or older and can't be a piece of junk."
Old 12-01-2011, 09:33 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by daanbc
In Florida = half the cost of registration and tax = lots of $$ in pocket, and cheaper insurance.= $158 a year....= lots of $$ in pocket. I drive my vette everyday I have off, if weather permits. My days off are Monday thru Wednesday's, NEVER BEEN PULLED OVER. But almost always the sheriff will pull along side ask what year, and tells me it looks great.
I too have Fl. Antique plates, which BTW are no longer issued, been on the car since I moved here 15 years ago almost....not a time the car is out, that I don't get noticed, first question is always...'What YEAR is that?".....I laugh and say it was born in St. Louis in '72....but you can pick a year from '65 through '94 and be correct.....

THAT always stops them cold, and gets a laugh as they remember the Johnny Cash tune.....

Get notified of new replies

To Drive your antique too much ?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:03 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Here is the blurb from the MD Motor Vehicles Administration for "Street Rod" and "Historic" tags:

I/We, certify under oath that the vehicle will only be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. I/We further certify that this vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways.
The Corvette is registered as a "Street Rod" and the 308 as "Historic". Neither is used daily (which I interpret as every day). They get swapped off with my daily driver Avalanche and thus I use them "occasionally". And every time I go to meet my car friends, that is a "club activity".

Considering the number of old beat up cars I see running around here with "Historic" tags (think 1980 Malibu's), I don't think the cops are out enforcing this much.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:06 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thegazman
In Pennsylvania, antique registration is permanent; no yearly renewals. Also, no yearly safety inspection or emission testing required. Also, the tag states, "Pa. Antique Historic Car" I've had mine registered antique since it became eligible (more than 25 years old) in '95.

2wheelin's got it right with the PA regs. So, by the very letter of the law, I can only legally drive mine 52 times per year, 1 day per week.

But I put mine into winter storage for about 20 weeks. Shouldn't that allow me to drive it more than once per week in the summertime and still not go over the allowable 52? Not according to state law.

I've never been pulled over because some cop thought I've been abusing my once per week privilege. But if I did (and I often do) I have an ace in the hole. I am a certified PA state inspection mechanic. As such, I'm allowed to drive a motor vehicle on a road test. Now, being 100 miles away from the garage and claiming I'm on a road test would be a bit much for even me to believe. But if I were on a local 10 mile loop every weekday to test out brake or steering problems, a cop would look pretty foolish bringing me before a district magistrate saying I was breaking the law. Especially when I've got sludge under my fingernails and my hands look like this:

But don't think you'll fool a cop by wearing a suit and tie driving into the industrial park 5 days a week with antique plates. Perhaps you'll only get a warning if you claim ignorance. It's worth a try.

As far as exceeding your collector car's yearly insurance mileage limit, American Collectors removed that stipulation from their policies last year...drive as much as you want now.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:25 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just going to get my oil changed officer.

Quick Reply: Drive your antique too much ?