C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint jobs - Anyone have luck with Maaco?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Schramm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paint jobs - Anyone have luck with Maaco?

I have 3 Maaco's in my area (1-1.5 hours from me), 2 of them have put out very nice 7-8 out of 10 paint jobs on Nova's, Camaro's and a number of Vettes. But I am wondering if the investment of a 6-10K paint job is really worth it on a $10-12K car? I dont want it to look like crap and being a decorative painter for 24 years of my life I have told people to save money where they can to afford my painting service as the paint is what people are going to see. I dont want a 20' hot car, I want it to look nice up close as well however I cannot convince myself that I should spend more then 1/2- full price of the car. Any thoughts on this subject and if you could post a pics that would be great. I am going to be sharing each part of this car transformation as I am taking pics and documenting everything and will post so you can see what I am doing based on everyones suggestions.

Thanks
Rob
Old 12-11-2011, 01:24 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You get what you pay for .
Old 12-11-2011, 01:52 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by oldsarge
You get what you pay for .
Old 12-11-2011, 02:30 PM
DonsShark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a MAACO near me that does good work, as evidenced by the paint job on my recently purchased '73 XR7. Its a bronze with black panels. No gripe with the paint, problem is several parking lot rashes were painted right over. They were obviously paid for painting, not body work. Bottom line is that I could live with this MAACO's work on a budget if I did the prep myself, a possible strategy for saving $ regardless of the level of paint job you opt for.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Are you saying Maaco wants $6-10k to paint your car?
Old 12-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Steve2147
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The actual spraying of the paint is the least important of the entire project. In fact the paint can be full of runs and look like stucco when it comes out of the booth. If a quality base/clear has been used that paint can be color sanded into a show quality finish.

Looking for someone that can shoot a car that comes out without the need for color sanding is unnecessary and perhaps even unwanted. The absolute best of painters will color sand their work and polish to a distortion free finish if they're looking for show quality. I'm sure the Maaco painter is capable of laying down a reasonable enough finish that it can be color sanded to a very high quality appearance.

The job is primarily about prep. That's what makes the difference and what costs the money. That and the quality of paint you put on it. The cheapest of paints, even old acrylic enamels will look great when they're fresh and new. It's how they look after a few years that separates the cheap paint from the quality products. And how well they polish up after color sanding.

Proper prep takes time, lots of time. And someone capable of doing a good job won't be found doing it for $10/hr. Proper prep involves removing the pieces adjacent to the paint, not masking them. All the chips have to be feathered and then the surface leveled with a high build then blocked. Areas with excessive chipping/defects need to be stripped. If the car has a couple of repaints already it may need stripping.

Quality paint and materials will run in excess of $1,000 at wholesale costs.

If you want something that's going to look like a $6,000 paint job without spending that you are going to have to do some or all of it yourself. It's not difficult, it just takes... time.

Steve g
Old 12-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Steve2147
The actual spraying of the paint is the least important of the entire project. In fact the paint can be full of runs and look like stucco when it comes out of the booth. If a quality base/clear has been used that paint can be color sanded into a show quality finish.

Looking for someone that can shoot a car that comes out without the need for color sanding is unnecessary and perhaps even unwanted. The absolute best of painters will color sand their work and polish to a distortion free finish if they're looking for show quality. I'm sure the Maaco painter is capable of laying down a reasonable enough finish that it can be color sanded to a very high quality appearance.

The job is primarily about prep. That's what makes the difference and what costs the money. That and the quality of paint you put on it. The cheapest of paints, even old acrylic enamels will look great when they're fresh and new. It's how they look after a few years that separates the cheap paint from the quality products. And how well they polish up after color sanding.

Proper prep takes time, lots of time. And someone capable of doing a good job won't be found doing it for $10/hr. Proper prep involves removing the pieces adjacent to the paint, not masking them. All the chips have to be feathered and then the surface leveled with a high build then blocked. Areas with excessive chipping/defects need to be stripped. If the car has a couple of repaints already it may need stripping.

Quality paint and materials will run in excess of $1,000 at wholesale costs.

If you want something that's going to look like a $6,000 paint job without spending that you are going to have to do some or all of it yourself. It's not difficult, it just takes... time.

Steve g
About 160 hours should do it. Been down that road.

Last edited by Paul L; 12-11-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Steve2147
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=paul 74;1579444234]About 160 hours should do it. Been down that road.

Yup, been there a few times myself

Don't have a total on time, but like you, lots.

Steve g

Last edited by Steve2147; 12-11-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Steve2147
Yup, been there a few times myself

Don't have a total on time, but like you, lots.

Steve g
Nice! And you are correct in that the prep is the key ingredient.

As to the original question, if I planned to keep the car for some time I would put out $5-6K for a quality paint job. Heck, pride in your car's appearance is part of the joy of ownership.

Last edited by Paul L; 12-11-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:32 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
Nice! And you are correct in that the prep is the key ingredient.

As to the original question, if I planned to keep the car for some time I would put out $5-6K for a quality paint job. Heck, pride in your car's appearance is part of the joy of ownership.

If this car is a keeper, then who cares how much it costs for paint in comparison to value of the car. A car isn't an investment, in the case of these cars it is a hobby.

What are you going to do with the car? If it was a daily driver then Maaco would be a good choice. You can get a decent paint job that you don't have to worry about everywhere you go. If this is just a weekender and you are particular about your car then just pay someone for the job that will probably last your life with te car if it is garaged.

Personally, I like the satisfaction of saying that I have done everything that I could to the car myself. I'd do the hard work and pay them to spray it. I'm planning on painting the entire thing myself, not to save the money but for the bragging rights that I did it myself.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:59 PM
BPHORSEGUY
Melting Slicks

Location: SUFFIELD CT USA 2023 C8 CORVETTE UN-MODIFIED FINALIST
Received 653 Likes on 351 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have seen many paint jobs from our local Maaco that look great even
close up. The ones that are color sanded ( wet sanded then buffed ) are stunning. Our local MAACO uses PPG products so they should hold up. I know of several cars that you would never know if the owner didn't tell you who painted it, and they have a 5 year written guarantee. So whats the difference? Its in the prep as the above posts say. When you strip a Vette down to the fiberglass you see all kinds of things that need "fixin", seams, previous damage, cracks, etc. and it takes great skill and the right equipment to get it right! Most of all it takes time. If you get a $3000 paint job that's not perfect, say an 8.5 out of ten its not a huge deal but when I pay $10000 and its not a ten then you don't want to be around me, and you definately don't want to be the guy that painted it. If its going to be a driver and a "Cruise Nite car" then a good MAACO should work, if your going NCRS ( it won't end up a $12k car as the op mentioned ) then you may need an 8K-10K job.
Some of the Maaco jobs I've seen are probably as good or better then the stock paint went it left the factory and the custom jobs that I paid big bucks for are in a whole different league then the ST Louis Paint.

P.S. Even the poorest paint job will look great in pictures!

Last edited by BPHORSEGUY; 12-11-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:48 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Their painters are pretty good, but it's only as good as the prep.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:17 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

When did Corvettes become the new '84 Camaros?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:16 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
When did Corvettes become the new '84 Camaros?
What '84 Camaro costs more to paint than the car cost new? The only difference between Maaco and a factory paint job is that the factory didn't have 30 years of prep work needed when they painted it. The quality of their work was sloppy at best.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:30 AM
Kavinsky
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt trust them with anything of real value after what happened with my dad's old wagon about 10 - 15 years ago, 88 Chevy Cavalier, 6 clyinder model when the normal ones were 4, ran like a hotrod, oversized tires and the whole 9, looked just like this with a dark blue interior

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_146492-...lier-1988.html

he took it in for a respray or a color change (cant remember which) and within 6 months the paint started flaking off of the body rusting the roof and everything else on the car, and then water started to leak into the carpets from the outside, maaco basically kiled the car with their poor workmanship.

probably would be around to this day if it wasnt for them, even though it doesnt look like anything special my dad fondly remembers the car to this day just because of the performance it had with the larger engine and oversized tires on it.

Last edited by Kavinsky; 12-12-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:05 AM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why go to Maaco? You are going to do all the prep work and let someone else spray it? Why not find someone that will rent yo a booth and spray it yourself? Find a garage,spic-n-span it,get some fans,curtains,guns,etc. And paint it yourself. Free isn't easy. Just a thought.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Schramm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very good point all! While I am not looking for a show quality car I am also not looking for a job of no quality. I have a very good friend that owns a body shop, in fact I have my '89 Camaro in the shop right now going from factory black to satin black (rat rod black). My Camaro was last years project and is going to be ready in Spring and will look great. Cost for the job is $2000 and well worth it, in fact I figured it was going to be closer to $3000 for the work they are doing. After reading all these posts in all the subjects that I have been asking which I really like the answers I think that I am going to spend my money getting the mechanics and function of the car done and worry about the paint job after getting the car next winter as the paint job that is on it right now is very nice, I just dont like the color shifting paint that is on it now.

Rob

Get notified of new replies

To Paint jobs - Anyone have luck with Maaco?

Old 12-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

A few of the painters in my area have given typical prices that customers have been charged to paint corvettes, and they are all high. 8-12k. Umm, I want my car to look like it, but like the op thats a bit steep. Talking to 1 of the painters, he said although he cannot guarantee the final finish lasting, if I do most of the prep work he will spray it for far less. Like mentioned prep is everything. My plan is to do the majority of the work. Take it to a painter with a booth. Let him give it a final look over for flaws, then have it sprayed. It should make that paint job far more reasonable and still have the finish I desire.
I have used maaco in the past. Typical respray on a minivan. It turned out good, made the van presentable for the next few yrs we owned it.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:36 AM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like stated earlier, 97% of the paint job is the prep.
This is a Macco paint job, I did the prep, then the sand / buff, they provided the materials (PPG) and laid down the paint. (this is a $350.00 paint job)

Old 12-12-2011, 11:33 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

maaco has different tiers of service. they have kids and apprentices working on the cheap quick turnaround type of work, then they have the more experienced working on the higher margin work.

do some prep yourself, remove all your bumpers, trim, lights, do your bodywork needed.. then pay them for a higher tier of service. should still beat the shops that charge 8K.

Quick Reply: Paint jobs - Anyone have luck with Maaco?