Sponsored by:

Bubba Lowering System

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 04:55 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Default Bubba Lowering System

I pulled the front end apart on our '77 to put in new control arm bushings and do the brakes. Basically give it a complete inspection and get it cleaned up before I drop in the new motor in the next couple of weeks.

I found a very unique bubba method of lowering your car. While I have heard of this before, I have never witnessed it first hand.

What were they thinking? Can you say coil bind?

There was a bunch of bailing wire wrapped around the spring which must have been used as a spring compressor while they heated it up. Then they just cut the wire and left it all hanging in the spring.

Last edited by AdamMeh; 12-14-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Impressive.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

One of my soldiers called me a few years back and asked me if I had a torch.....knowing the idiot this kid was, I asked him why....He explained that if you heat up the springs and let the car drop under its own weight, you have an awesome and affordable lowering kit. I reminded him that his Serviceman's Group Life Insurance DID NOT cover acts of BLATANT STUPIDITY....
Old 12-14-2011, 05:20 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Scottd
One of my soldiers called me a few years back and asked me if I had a torch.....knowing the idiot this kid was, I asked him why....He explained that if you heat up the springs and let the car drop under its own weight, you have an awesome and affordable lowering kit. I reminded him that his Serviceman's Group Life Insurance DID NOT cover acts of BLATANT STUPIDITY....
Old 12-14-2011, 05:54 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

That kind of thing scares me. Not just because of the spring, but it makes you wonder what else they did. I am glad you are going through the whole car and will find any other "creative" solutions.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:10 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by brent319
That kind of thing scares me. Not just because of the spring, but it makes you wonder what else they did. I am glad you are going through the whole car and will find any other "creative" solutions.
That's been the plan since day one. We won't be driving this until I feel it's safe. I have been fixing many "unique" wiring situations as well No more yellow TWIST CAPS (yes, you read that right) - all are all being soldered and shrink wrapped correctly.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:14 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

you have to believe that the spring has weakened at the points above and below the compressed coil.i'd worry about the molecules lining up properly after the spring cooled.maybe i worry too much.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:48 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by billcarson
you have to believe that the spring has weakened at the points above and below the compressed coil.i'd worry about the molecules lining up properly after the spring cooled.maybe i worry too much.
Well, I hadn't looked at it that way, but I would guess you're correct on that. It just can't be safe at all. I only drove the car around the block a couple of times before I started tearing it apart, but I'm glad that was all after seeing this.

New springs are on the way
Old 12-15-2011, 12:36 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

adam you are doing things the safe way for sure.best of luck on the rebuild.my a-frame bushings are next but i'm enjoying the cruising too much to start the job.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:07 PM
MalibuVLX
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not a fan of the the ole school heating of the springs, but I do have a story for those that may still attempt it. Way back, we heated up some springs on a 2nd gen Camaro. We got the ride height exactly where the owner wanted it. We went out to get something to eat and came back about 2 hrs later. The springs had cooled, but also sagged/lowered an addtl 2 inches. Just food for thought. I ended up cutting 1 coil out of my 69 which set the fender right at 27".
Old 12-17-2011, 06:49 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MalibuVLX
I ended up cutting 1 coil out of my 69 which set the fender right at 27".
Cutting the springs (not with a torch) I have no problem with. IMO that's the correct way to alter the stance of a car.

I'm surprised it dropped 2 full inches - that's a big drop!

Get notified of new replies

To Bubba Lowering System

Quick Reply: Bubba Lowering System