Sponsored by:

Classic Car VIN Decoding/Model Info

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:12 PM
ROC OUT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Classic Car VIN Decoding/Model Info

Prior to purchasing a classic vette (or any car for that matter) has anyone used an internet VIN Decoding service to provide information on a particular car's original parts/options as disclosed by VIN numbers? If so, then which service is seems best for the money?

The reason I ask is that in looking at C3s, a few individuals have offered the VIN as evidence of originality of the car. This doesn't really do me any good unless I can access information on the VIN.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:48 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Originally Posted by ROC OUT
Prior to purchasing a classic vette (or any car for that matter) has anyone used an internet VIN Decoding service to provide information on a particular car's original parts/options as disclosed by VIN numbers? If so, then which service is seems best for the money?

The reason I ask is that in looking at C3s, a few individuals have offered the VIN as evidence of originality of the car. This doesn't really do me any good unless I can access information on the VIN.

Thanks!
Many classic cars, including early Corvettes, do not include most original parts/options within their VINs.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 PM
ROC OUT
Pro

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Many classic cars, including early Corvettes, do not include most original parts/options within their VINs.
Why then are these individuals providing the VIN to me and what, if any, significant information can I access with it?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:08 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

1972+ will have the engine options within the VIN, and a few earlier years will tell you coupe or convertible. This is nothing you should pay for, widely available information:

http://www.corvette-web-central.com/...INdecoder.html
Old 01-11-2012, 10:54 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Why then are these individuals providing the VIN to me and what, if any, significant information can I access with it?
Originally Posted by LeMans Pete
1972+ will have the engine options within the VIN, and a few earlier years will tell you coupe or convertible. This is nothing you should pay for, widely available information:

This is about it. Providing the VIN will tell you when the car was built. I'd ask them what exactly are they thinking they are providing with a VIN?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:55 PM
ROC OUT
Pro

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869

This is about it. Providing the VIN will tell you when the car was built. I'd ask them what exactly are they thinking they are providing with a VIN?
Thanks, all! I kinda figured there was something screwy with providing me with the VIN because as I tried to get detailed information about the car, all I was getting was three or four pieces of information such as the year built, location of build and one or two other bits. There was no information on original options.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...There was no information on original options...
With the exception of engine codes for applicable model years, C3 VINs do not contain option information. You will need original documentation with the car to determine the options (window sticker, Corvette order copy, original dealer invoice, etc.)

Old 01-14-2012, 01:38 AM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So there is really nothing special about a numbers matching 73 since there is no way to tell if it has the origional engine
Old 01-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Skip Burney
So there is really nothing special about a numbers matching 73 since there is no way to tell if it has the origional engine
Original engines, frames and trannies have VIN derivitive stamps so it is not difficult to check the numbers.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

What's your definition of 'numbers matching' ?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My 73 is supposed to have the same engine and trans it left the factory with but I have never checked it but if the vin won`t show it there is no way to check is there?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

...but if the vin won`t show it there is no way to check is there?...
Your engine, trans, and frame will be stamped with 13S4xxxxx if they are original. The Xs will be your consecutive unit number, same as on the VIN tag on the windshield post.

Engine stamp is on the pad on the block at the front of the right head.

The second stamp on the pad (larger characters) is the engine identification stamp with identifying suffix and the day the engine was assembled.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 01-15-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

My 73 is supposed to have the same engine and trans it left the factory with but I have never checked it but if the vin won`t show it there is no way to check is there?
?????

'72 and up Corvettes have the original engine option encoded into the VIN as stated above by Lemans Pete. Whether your car has the original engine in it or not is a different question.

Get notified of new replies

To Classic Car VIN Decoding/Model Info

Quick Reply: Classic Car VIN Decoding/Model Info