Headlight bezel!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Brian Browning
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlight bezel!!!

Hi folks,
I'm trying to remove me passenger side headlight bezel. The driver's side came out pretty easily. The passenger isnt. I've got the screws out but the bezel won't clear the lights to come out. It seems like the headlight door isn't raising enough (but its level with the one that did come out). I've looked in 3 different books and did a search here. What I find is "remove bezel." Not much help and I've boogered up the paint on the bezel already. Before I screwed up something else, I thought I'd take a break and ask ya'll. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 01-22-2012, 01:49 PM
luerja
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Browning
Hi folks,
I'm trying to remove me passenger side headlight bezel. The driver's side came out pretty easily. The passenger isnt. I've got the screws out but the bezel won't clear the lights to come out. It seems like the headlight door isn't raising enough (but its level with the one that did come out). I've looked in 3 different books and did a search here. What I find is "remove bezel." Not much help and I've boogered up the paint on the bezel already. Before I screwed up something else, I thought I'd take a break and ask ya'll. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian
Hey Brian,

Disconnect the 4 springs and take this bolt out. This will allow it to easily move up and beyond the body. It takes a 3/4 wrench to break it loose. And also take out your front side grill with the turn signal in it for easier access. It’s a tight space up there so have patience and take your time.

The following users liked this post:
Bikespace (03-19-2017)
Old 01-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Brian Browning
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I'll head down and give that a shot.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:03 PM
ABinAUS
Intermediate

quick question, can you undo the bolt without disconnecting the 4 springs? I have a '79 C3 with a similiar issue.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi AB,
Those springs put quite a bit of tension on the 'knee' that the large headed bolt passes through in making it's connection to the headlight door. It may not be possible to get the bolt out; and I'm not sure what direction things might fly if the bolt comes out.
Make a 'hook' from a wire coat hanger and you should be able to release them from the rods they fasten to pretty easily.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-15-2012, 06:30 PM
ABinAUS
Intermediate

thx for the counsel Alan
Old 09-15-2012, 06:59 PM
ABinAUS
Intermediate

one further question, do you need to remove the headlight actuators?
Old 09-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi AB,
My quick answer is no, not for 'most' things you may be doing to the headlight operating mechanism.
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-19-2017, 11:08 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,328 Posts

I'm resurrecting this thread because I found it very useful (and also the first hit on Google when I searched). I had the same problem with my 1979 C3.

I removed the front grill (5 screws). I fabricated a tool (hook and vice-grips) to remove the 4 springs. I had to remove the spring mounting bar to get to the bolt (1 cotter pin, plus one bar), at which point I had done the same thing as removing that bolt.

That still didn't get it! There is an up-adjustment bolt, a 1/4"-20 bolt with a jam nut to hold adjustment, that prevented my headlight door from opening further.

Photos are the accursed opening limit bolt, and my headlights held open with a jack and a stick. On the starboard side I'll try to only remove the limit bolt (and probably the front grille).
Attached Images   
Old 03-24-2017, 11:09 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,328 Posts

I took care of the other headlights today. I removed only the front grille, and the aforementioned limit screw. I had to take the screw all the way out this time, but I was able to chase it with a die, so next time i may only have to adjust it (the jam nut spins freely for now. I should have put in stainless hardware...).

It still wasn't easy, but it was easier to do this without removing the springs, since I could push the headlight up or down manually without needing a jack to hold it up. Still, the bezel just barely cleared, and I could see that it may not be enough for all cars. The spring pin, or 3/4" head bolt, might still have to come off.

The bolt is in the center of the picture.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight bezel!!!

Quick Reply: Headlight bezel!!!