Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I test my alternator correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:03 AM
briaineo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did I test my alternator correctly?

Hi

Was wondering if I tested my alternator correctly?

The alternator has one red wire at the back and a plug with two wires at the side.

I turned the engine on grounded the multi-meter and connected the positive to the red wire. Only got 12 odd volts from it, same as when the engine is off
Old 02-22-2012, 07:59 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Sounds like your alternator isn't charging. You should've gotten 13-14 volts.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Nope...close but no apple

I don't know the year you have, but most of them have a integrated regulator {built in}.........some plugs are in the rear and others on the side of the case...by making a jumper from the battery post {big red wire or red post} to the plug 2 wires and connected together, start the engine and if the alternator is good the volts should jump to 13-14 if your using a volt meter...no meter...then listen to the alternator..it should sing to you indicating it WORKS......
Old 02-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Steve2147
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
I don't know the year you have, but most of them have a integrated regulator {built in}.........some plugs are in the rear and others on the side of the case...by making a jumper from the battery post {big red wire or red post} to the plug 2 wires and connected together, start the engine and if the alternator is good the volts should jump to 13-14 if your using a volt meter...no meter...then listen to the alternator..it should sing to you indicating it WORKS......
That won't tell you much on a alt with int regulator. That will simply replace the key on power situation to the alt. You can still have a failed reg or alt internals. If you have a flat black two prong you have an internal reg. If the plug is more square and gray you have an external reg. On an internal equipped alt there is a small hole in the back of the case. Inside the hole is a contact tab on the reg. With the eng running you stick a small screwdriver into the hole and ground the tab against the side of the case. This bypasses the reg and gives you full alt output (for that speed). If it starts charging you need to replace the reg. If it doesn't you have other internal alt problems. If you intend to do this let me know and I will find a pic. There are several holes in the back and you don't want to go sticking your screwdriver in the wrong one.

I'd have to look up the wiring diagram for an external reg to give you the reg bypass for that. Can't remember off hand.

You don't need to check charging at the alt, it can be done at the batt. Quick check charging voltage should be .5V higher at start than batt voltage at rest and with a fully charged battery after the system has stabalized should be around 14.2-14.5V.

Steve g

Get notified of new replies

To Did I test my alternator correctly?

Quick Reply: Did I test my alternator correctly?